Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 6th 2015 Contents Monday, July 6, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
son to assist you with the preparation of the
8. If the situation does not improve, we will have to seek
shelter at another hotel.
A. Should there be no improvement in situation,
we will have to stay at another hotel.
B. We will have to seek shelter elsewhere, whether
the situation improves or not.
C. Seeking shelter at a hotel is always a possibility,
provided the situation does not improve.
D. If the situation becomes desperate, we will have
to make alternative hotel arrangement.
9. While browsing through the catalogue, I found an ar-
ticle in the Health Section outlining the Benefits of
A. I received a catalogue recently and in it was an
article listing the Benefits of Coconut Oil.
B. In the Health Section of a catalogue, I saw an ar-
ticle with information about Coconut Oil.
C. I read recently a list of the Benefits of Coconut
Oil; the article was carried in a Health Magazine.
D. I was skimming through a catalogue and there
in the Health Section was an article identifying
the Benefits of Coconut Oil.
10. The teacher asked the students to review the syl-
labus and identify the topics they wanted her to re-
A. The teacher was willing to review the syllabus
with the input of the students.
B. The students were asked to review the syllabus
and advise their teacher of the topics she should
C. The teacher requested the students review the
syllabus and point out the areas of weakness.
D. The students are yet to review the syllabus and
let advised the teacher which topics she should
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully. Select from
the four options given, the word or words which is best
suited to complete the sentence.
11. Let me know when you are available and I will make
the .......................... for us to visit the Bird Sanctuary.
12. When I realized my friend was abusing drugs, I de-
cided to.........................myself from him.
DIRECTION: Read the following sentences carefully. No
sentence contains more than one error. Some of the sen-
tences are incorrect because of grammar, vocabulary or
idiom. Identify the part of the sentence which is incorrect
and select the letter which corresponds with your answer.
If the sentence is appropriate as it stands mark your an-
1. After visiting the confectionery store, the twins,
Marissa and Merissa, shared the chocolates among
each other. No Error
2. It is interesting to see the number of persons who
are unable to read music, yet they are brilliant at
playing the steelpan. No Error
3. Have you kept a record of the amount of boxes you
placed in storage? No Error
4. When asked to remove his vehicle, the visitor acceded
to the landladys' request. No Error
5. Anyone can apply for the position provided that they
meet the basic requirements. No Error
DIRECTION: Read the sentences carefully. Each sentence
has four options, review the options and select the one that
is CLOSEST in meaning to the original sentence.
6. The child's parents have warned that she will be denied
her allowance, unless she cleans her room.
A. The child's parents threatened to withhold her al-
lowance unless she cleans her room.
B. The parents of the child are threatening not to
keep her allowance until she cleans her room.
C. The child will not receive her allowance unless her
room is clean.
D. Unless the child cleans her room, she cannot ex-
pect to receive her allowance.
7. I am inclined to believe that you could not find a suitable
person to assist you with the meals, so you decided to
do the cooking yourself.
A. I am assured that you could not find a suitable per-
son to assist you, so you will do the cooking.
B. In the absence of finding a suitable replacement,
you have decided to do the cooking yourself.
C. I have reason to believe that you could not find a
suitable assistant, so you will do the cooking your-
D. I firmly believe that you will not find a suitable per-
13. Your ...................... to join the football league will depend
on your academic standard and level of fitness.
14. A ............................. .is a written account of a person's life
which is usually undertaken by a renowned author.
15. The term lineage is used to describe one's .........................
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully then select
the word that is NEAREST in meaning to the underlined
word in the sentence.
16. The Paediatrician asked that he be apprised of any
changes in the patient's condition.
17. When you destroy the trust between us, you leave
me with no recourse, but to sever all ties with you.
18. The erratic behaviour of the driver caused the pas-
sengers in the bus to become unsettled.
19. There seems to be some disparity in the information
submitted by the Finance Department versus what
was recorded by the Sales Department.
Continued on the next page
Links Archive July 5th 2015 July 7th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page