Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 13th 2015 Contents Monday, July 13, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
7. Mr. Millette had owned once a parcel of land at the
back of their house. No Error
8. The band was able to settle its debt and purchase
new instruments using liquid cash. No Error
9. Some dust particles has become lodged in the
keyboard causing the keys to stick. No Error
10. The cousins were anxious to return to their home
being at the seaside for two weeks. No Error
DIRECTION: Read the sentences carefully. Each sen-
tence has four options, review the options and select the
one that is CLOSEST in meaning to the original sentence.
11. Two years ago, a young woman was crossing the
street when she was struck by a car, sadly her leg had
to be amputated.
A. Approximated two years ago, a woman was
B. A young woman was struck by a car while
crossing the street, two year ago: unfortu-
nately her leg had to be amputated.
C. A young woman while crossing the street
was hit by a car; following the accident her
leg was severed.
D. The young woman's leg was amputated
when she was struck by a car while crossing
12. In the remaining time I have left, I will not allow the
feelings of others to cause me to become disen-
chanted with the institution.
A. During my remaining time with the organi-
sation, I will not allow the actions of others
to disturb my thinking.
B. I will not allow the behaviours of others to
deter me from the organisation, in the time
that I have left.
C. The actions of others will not cause me to
become disenchanted with the institution.
D. While I remain here, I will not allow the feel-
ings of others to cause me to become disen-
chanted with the institution.
13. Governments worldwide are implementing more
stringent measures to protect their borders from il-
A. Governments worldwide continue to strug-
gle to protect their borders against criminal
B. The criminal activities carried out against
countries, has led governments to imple-
ment measures to aggressively protect their
C. Governments around the world are employ-
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully. Select from the
four options given, the word or words which is best suited
to complete the sentence.
1. It has often been said that there is no room for .....................
in this world, you have to keep challenging yourself.
2. The increase in fines for traffic offenses has helped
to..................... illicit activities on the road.
3. With more students .............. towards the corporate world,
there are fewer skilled labourers available for employ-
4. The play put on by the school was an .................. .from the
book "To Kill A Mocking Bird."
5. What was once a healthy relationship between two
neighbours has become............................. over a period of
DIRECTION: Read the following sentences carefully. No
sentence contains more than one error. Some of the sen-
tences are incorrect because of grammar, vocabulary or
idiom. Identify the part of the sentence which is incorrect
and select the letter which corresponds with your answer.
If the sentence is appropriate as it stands mark your an-
6. The children were fascinated to see the playground
littered with blossoms from the Poui Trees. No Error
ing tighter measures to safeguard their bor-
ders from illicit activities.
D. More and more governments are pursing
measure to secure their countries from ille-
14. The villagers have no sympathy for the woman be-
cause of her wilful neglect of her children.
A. The children have been wilfully neglected by
the woman causing the villagers to lose all
sympathy for her.
B. Her wilful neglect of the children has led to a
loss of sympathy by the women of the vil-
C. All sympathy for the woman is lost because
of her lack of care for the children.
D. The villagers have given up hope for the
woman because she neglected her children.
15. Some members of the steel orchestra will get the op-
portunity to visit North America during the vacation
A. Students of the steel orchestra will be visit-
ing the United States, during the vacation
B. During the vacation period members of the
orchestra will visit North America.
C. During the vacation period, members of the
steel orchestra will have the chance to visit
D. The steel orchestra plans to visit North
America during the vacation period.
DIRECTION: In the following sentences, one of the un-
derlined words may be misspelled. Identify the mis-
spelled word in each sentence based on the options given
A, B, C. If no error exists mark your answer D.
16. Times have changed significantly and children now
have many avenues to express there creativity and
talents. No Error
17. We looked at the tennis tournamant anticipating
that the underdog would have received a beating, but
the outcome surprised us. No Error
18. The recipe for the vinaigrette dressing calls for two
spoonsful of honey. No Error
19. He had been a sculptor for many years, but never
received any recogniton from his peers until his
demise. No Error
Continued on the next page
Links Archive July 12th 2015 July 14th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page