Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 19th 2015 Contents A33
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
Suspected Islamist militants have
attacked two military checkpoints in
the Sinai peninsula, killing at least five
Egyptian security sources say the
gunmen targeted the checkpoints near
the northern town of Sheikh Zuweid.
They were reportedly among military
installations attacked two weeks ago
by Islamic State-affiliated militants. At
least 17 soldiers died in that attack.
Sinai has recently seen a wave of
attacks on the Egyptian military.
On Thursday, militants said they
carried out a missile attack on an
Egyptian naval vessel in the
The militants, who call themselves
Sinai Province, posted pictures online of
what looked like a missile followed by a
large explosion on the ship.
Egyptian officials said a coastguard
vessel caught fire after a fire-fight with
militants on the shore.
The army said there were no
casualties, contradicting the militants'
Sinai Province was previously called
Ansar Beit al-Maqdis (Champions of
Jerusalem), but announced a name
change in November 2014 when it
pledged allegiance to IS, the militant
organisation that has taken over large
parts of Iraq and Syria. (BBC)
Islamists attack Sinai checkpoints
An abandoned Spanish airport which cost about
1.1bn euros (US$1.2bn) to build has been sold for
€10,000 in a bankruptcy auction.
Ciudad Real's Central airport, located about
235km south of the capital Madrid, became a
symbol of the country's wasteful spending during a
construction boom that ended with the financial
crisis of 2008, the year the airport opened.
The operator of the airport went bankrupt in
2012 after it failed to draw enough traffic.
Chinese group Tzaneen International tabled the
single bid in Friday's auction, Spanish news agency
Europa Press said.
The receiver had set a minimum price of €28m.
If no better bid is received by September, the sale
will go through, the news agency said.
Tzaneen International reportedly plans to invest
up to €100m in the airport and make it a cargo
hub. The offer is for the airport infrastructure only,
not adjacent land.
Central has one of Europe's longest runways and
was designed to handle 2.5 million passengers a
The construction was heavily funded by the Caja
Castilla La Mancha savings bank, the first of
Spain's troubled savings banks to be bailed out in
Another largely unused airport and symbol of
wasteful spending is Castellon, on Spain's eastern
coast. It cost about €150m and opened in 2011.
Billion-dollar Spanish airport
sold for 10,000 euros
Andal Ampatuan Sr, a former Philippine
governor and one of the main suspects accused of
ordering the killings of 58 people, including 32
journalists, in one of the country's worst ever
massacre, has died of a heart attack in a
Ampatuan, 74, was on trial for the 2009
massacre and was brought to the National Kidney
and Transplant Institute in early June, when he
was diagnosed with liver cancer.
He fell into a coma last week and died overnight
of a heart attack due to liver failure, his lawyer
Salvador Panelo said yesterday.
In compliance with Islamic tradition, Ampatuan
was buried yesterday, according to local news
Ampatuan was among 103 people who were
charged with multiple murder in the Maguindanao
massacre, one of the worst political killings in the
The influential power player in the southern
Philippines was also mentioned in connection with
allegations of massive vote cheating in national
elections, reportedly involving then-President
Gloria Arroyo, a political ally.
Ampatuan and his relatives were accused of
killing 58 people, including the family of their
political rival and 32 journalists, on November 23,
2009. The incident was the world's worst single
killing of media workers.
Ampatuan, his namesake son and the others
accused of the killings have denied the charges
against them. (Al Jazeera)
Main suspect in Philippine
massacre dies in hospital
A car bomb has killed 120 people and
injured at least 130 at a busy market in
an Iraqi town, officials have said.
The attack happened in the predomi-
nantly Shia town of Khan Bani Saad, north
of the capital Baghdad.
Children were among those dead in the
explosion, which came as people celebrated
the end of the Muslim holy month of
The Islamic State (Isis) group, which
control swathes of the country, has said it
was behind the attack.
A statement from the group said one of
its members drove three tonnes of explosives
into a crowd.
Correspondents say that it was one of
the deadliest single attacks in Iraq over the
last ten years and completely destroyed
Police major Ahmed al-Tamimi said the
damage was "devastating."
"Some people were using vegetable boxes
to collect children s body parts," he said.
Diyala resident Sayif Ali said that Khan
Beni Saad has become a disaster area as
its residents continued to search for bodies.
Meanwhile Iraqi parliament speaker Salim
al-Jabouri said yesterday that the attack
has revealed an "ugly sectarian chord" and
that the government was doing all it could
to stop Isis from further destabilising Diyala.
The Diyala provincial authorities have
declared three days of mourning and can-
celled festivities for Eid-ul-Fitr, which
marks the end of Ramadan.
IS militants are battling government
forces in the north and west of the coun-
try.The group captured parts of Diyala last
year. Although Isis was later driven out, it
still has a presence there. (BBC)
Iraq's deadliest car bomb,
death toll rises to 120
The White House said yesterday that it
condemned an Islamic State attack on Fri-
day that killed more than 100 people at a
market in an Iraqi town, calling it "yet
another painful examples of the atrocities"
committed by the group.
"The US remains steadfast in its commit-
ment to work with PM (Haider) al-Abadi
and our partners in Iraq and the international
community to bring an end to ISIL s deprav-
ity," said White House National Security
Council spokesman Ned Price. (Reuters)
US condemns Islamic State attack in Iraq
Youths walk amid the debris from a deadly Friday night suicide car bombing at a busy market in Khan Beni Saad in Iraq, yesterday. The
attack by the Islamic State group on a crowded marketplace in Iraq's eastern Diyala province has killed over 100 people, mostly-Shiite
victims, including women and children, in one of the deadliest single attacks in the country in the past decade. AP PHOTO
Links Archive July 18th 2015 July 20th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page