Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 30th 2015 Contents A57
Thursday, July 30, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
KUALA LUMPUR---IOC President Thomas
Bach said Boston was firmly to blame for its
aborted bid for the 2024 Olympics, saying
the city failed to deliver on "promises" made
to US Olympic leaders when they selected
the Massachusetts capital as the American
candidate for the games.
Bach also said yesterday the IOC had a
"commitment" from the US Olympic Com-
mittee that it would put forward a bid city
for 2024, though he declined to endorse any
other contender. Los Angeles is considered
the USOC s likely choice ahead of the Sep-
tember 15 deadline for official submission of
The International Olympic Committee
leader gave his first extensive comments on
the demise of the Boston bid, which was
dropped amid poor public support, strong
local opposition and lack of full political com-
"From the outside, I gave up following (the
bid s troubles)," Bach said. "It was pretty con-
fusing. Every day there was a new project
coming from Boston or new people and new
ideas. I really gave up following it in detail.
But what we could see in a nutshell what hap-
pened there is that Boston did not deliver on
promises they made to the USOC when they
Bach also said he hoped the decision on
the next US bid city would involve discussions
that are "a little bit more oriented on facts
Ever since Boston was selected as the US
nominee ahead of Los Angeles, San Francisco
and Washington, the bid struggled to gain
local support and wallowed in approval ratings
below 50 per cent amid concern over the
potential cost to taxpayers.
Massachusetts Gov Charlie Baker said he
wouldn t throw his weight behind the bid
without a full report from a consulting group.
And Mayor Marty Walsh said Monday he
wouldn t be pressured into signing the host
city contract if it would stick the city and
state with paying for any cost overruns.
The USOC cut ties with Boston on Monday,
with less than two months to find a replace-
ment for a race that includes Paris, Rome,
Hamburg, Germany and Budapest, Hungary.
Toronto and Baku, Azerbaijan, are also likely
Bach is determined to have a strong can-
didate from the US, which hasn t hosted a
Summer Games since Atlanta in 1996.
"For us the situation has not changed," he
said. "We had a commitment from USOC for
an Olympic candidature for 2024. We have
this commitment. We re sure that USOC will
deliver on this commitment, and that we will
have on the 15th of September, a bid from the
"The United States is one of the few coun-
tries in the world who has the luxury of having
a number of cities which are capable of organ-
ising Olympic Games," he added.
Bach wouldn t comment on the prospect
of a bid from Los Angeles, which staged the
1932 and 1984 Olympics and now seems poised
for a shot at joining London as a three-time
host. Several IOC executive board members
have already spoken in favor of a Los Angeles
"It is now an internal issue for USOC to
determine the most appropriate city," Bach
said. "It s not up to the IOC to give unsolicited
advice on this. I m sure that USOC will find
the best solution."
Boston failed to deliver on
'promises' to USOC---Bach
AKRON---Rory McIlroy has told the PGA
Tour he will not play the Bridgestone Invi-
tational next week as he recovers from his
It will be the second straight tournament
that McIlroy will miss as the defending cham-
pion. He injured his left ankle while playing
soccer with friends in Northern Ireland the
first weekend in July. He was not able to defend
his title in the British Open at St Andrews.
McIlroy did not indicate if he would be able
to play the PGA Championship on August
13-16 at Whistling Straits in Wisconsin. He
won the PGA Championship last year for his
fourth career major.
Jordan Spieth will have another chance to
replace McIlroy at No 1 in the world next week
MONTREAL---Roger Federer pulled out of
next month s Rogers Cup hard-court tour-
A spokeswoman for Tennis Canada, Valerie
Tetreault, wrote in an email that Federer
"wants to make sure he will be (in) top shape
for" the US Open, the year s last Grand Slam
tournament, which begins August 31.
"I am disappointed that I won t be playing
in Montreal because it s a tournament and a
city that I really enjoy and has incredible fans,"
Federer said in a statement released by Tennis
Canada. "I hope to be back in the future."
Federer, owner of a record 17 major cham-
pionships, has not competed since losing to
Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon final on
Federer, who turns 34 on August 8, won
the Rogers Cup twice, in 2004 and 2006, and
he was the runner-up a year ago.
"We are obviously disappointed to have
Roger withdraw as it is always a privilege to
watch him play," tournament director Eugene
Lapierre said in a statement. "We also under-
stand his decision because, above all, he has
always been very loyal to our event and we
would love to see him play tennis for many
more years to come."
Play begins August 10 in Montreal. Federer
will be replaced in the main draw by Jerzy
Janowicz, a semifinalist at Wimbledon in 2013.
Bedene upsets Bautista Agut
to reach Hamburg quarters
HAMBURG---Benoit Paire rallied to upset
second-seeded Tommy Robredo 2-6, 6-3, 7-
5 and advance to the quarterfinals of the Ham-
burg Open yesterday.
Third-seeded Roberto Bautista Agut made
an early exit as well, losing 7-6 (2), 7-6 (7)
to Aljaz Bedene.
Bedene will next play eight-seeded Fabio
Fognini, who needed three sets to overcome
Albert Ramos-Vinolas, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
In another upset, sixth-seeded and 2012
Hamburg winner Juan Monaco went out
against qualifier Lucas Pouille, 6-1, 7-5. Pouille
will next meet Paire.
Fifth-seeded Pablo Cuevas edged Diego
Schwartzman 7-6 (4), 6-4 in a first-round
match and Jiri Vesely completed a 3-6, 6-1,
6-0 win over Andreas Haider-Mauer in a
match that had been halted by rain a day ear-
lier. Vesely will play top-seeded Rafael Nadal
in the second round.
Defending champ Andujar
advances at Swiss Open
GSTAAD---Defending champion Pablo
Andujar of Spain advanced to the Swiss Open
quarterfinals by beating Dusan Lajovic of
Serbia 7-5, 6-2 yesterday.
Fourth-seeded Andujar next faces another
former champion on the Gstaad clay courts,
two-time winner Thomaz Bellucci of Brazil.
Bellucci beat Stephane Robert of France 6-
3, 6-2 in their second-round match in the
high-end ski resort.
Seeded players advanced in all four matches
on a rain-affected day. Second-seeded Feliciano
Lopez of Spain rallied to win his first singles
match since getting married last week.
The 18th-ranked Lopez dropped the first
set to 759th-ranked German qualifier Julian
Reister in a 2-6, 6-4, 6-1 victory.
Santiago Giraldo of Colombia, the eighth
seed, eased past Marsel Ilhan of Turkey, 6-
2, 6-3. (AP)
Federer pulls out of Montreal tournament
after 2 doping
cases in June
AIGLE---The International Cycling Union
has suspended Italian team Androni Giocat-
toli-Sidermec from international races for
30 days after two riders tested positive for
The UCI says the ban starts August 1.
The second-tier team becomes the first to
be suspended since the UCI s team rule took
effect in January. Teams can be barred from
major races for up to 45 days for "two potential
anti-doping violations within the same team
within a 12-month period."
Two Italian riders with Androni Giocattoli-
Sidermec tested positive for banned substances
in June. Fabio Taborre tested positive for FG-
4592, which stimulates production of
endurance-boosting hormone EPO. Davide
Appollonio tested positive for EPO.
As a second-tier team, Androni Giocattoli-
Sidermec needs invitations to World Tour
races. It was not invited to the Spanish Vuelta,
which starts August 22.
Tour, African cycling
team loses sponsor
CAPE TOWN---The title sponsor of the
African cycling team that made an impressive
debut at the Tour de France said yesterday
it was ending its agreement, citing the "nor-
mal business practice" of reviewing com-
Despite praising the team s "outstanding
performance," cellphone network MTN said
its partnership with South Africa-based MTN-
Qhubeka had "reached its conclusion" and it
wouldn t be renewing.
The team "put on a fantastic display of
power and athleticism at the Tour de France
and we are very proud of their achievements,"
MTN group corporate affairs executive Chris
Maroleng said in a statement. "Our partnership
with the team has come full circle and we
wish the team the absolute best in the future
as we pass on the baton to the next sponsor."
The announcement was a surprise after
MTN-Qhubeka achieved a series of firsts at
this month s Tour, becoming the first African
team in the Tour s modern era and allowing
two Eritreans riders to become the first from
their country to ride at cycling s top race.
The team also had meaningful results: One
of the Eritreans, Daniel Teklehaimanot, became
the first African to wear the polka dot jersey
as leader of the mountains classification, and
Stephen Cummings won a stage for the team,
another piece of history for an African out-
fit.MTN-Qhubeka finished fifth overall in the
team classification after earning an invite to
the Tour from organisers. Belgian Serge Pauwels
was 10th overall in the mountains classification
for MTN-Qhubeka and Merhawi Kudus, the
other Eritrean on the team and the youngest
rider at the Tour at 21, was 10th in the final
standings for young riders.
MTN said it had invested $9.5 million in
the team since it was founded in 2007, helping
lift it from an outfit riding only in small African
races to a professional continental team with
bases in South Africa and Italy---and now with
a history at the Tour de France. (AP)
International Olympic Committee (IOC)
President Thomas Bach speaks during a
press conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia,
yesterday. AP PHOTO
McIlroy to miss another title defence at Firestone
Links Archive July 29th 2015 July 31st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page