Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 10th 2015 Contents Monday, August 10, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
A. We knew the little boy was riding, but we
did not know that he had fallen and was gri-
macing in pain.
B. The child had been riding and before we
knew it, he was on the ground in pain.
C. We saw the child riding in the road, but did
not expect to see him grimacing in pain.
D. The little boy was riding in the road and be-
fore we knew it, he was on the ground gri-
macing in pain.
8. When we were children, every Sunday we would visit
family and either go out for ice-cream or go to the
A. It was the norm when were kids, to visit our
family and watch a movie or have ice cream.
B. As children, every Sunday we would visit
family and either go out for ice-cream or go
to the cinema.
C. On Sundays we visited our family, following
which we would stop for ice-cream or go to
D. As kids, we would visit family and either have
ice-cream or watch a movie at the cinema.
9. After the love and care he received from his relatives,
who would have thought he would have treated them
with such scant courtesy.
A. Had his relatives known he would have
treated them with scant courtesy, they
would not have treated him with love and
B. He treated his family with such scant cour-
tesy, in spite of the love and care her re-
ceived from them.
C. Who would have thought, he would have
treated his relatives with such scant cour-
tesy, after the love and care he received
D. His relatives could not anticipate that he
would have behaved so poorly, after the love
and care he received from them.
10. Since Emma was eight years old, she had an interest
in books. It was therefore not surprising to learn that
she has become an avid reader.
A. Emma developed an appetite for reading as
a child, hence her interest in books.
B. We noticed that Emma was inclined to
reading as a child and so we were not sur-
prise to learn that she had become an avid
C. At the age of eight, Emma had an interest in
reading and therefore it was no surprise to
learn that she had become an avid reader.
D. As a child, Emma enjoyed reading and as
she grew older her interest in reading fur-
DIRECTION: Read the following sentences carefully. No
sentence contains more than one error. Some of the sen-
tences are incorrect because of grammar, vocabulary or
idiom. Identify the part of the sentence which is incorrect
and select the letter which corresponds with your answer.
If the sentence is appropriate as it stands mark your an-
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully. Select from the
four options given, the word or words which is best suited to
complete the sentence.
1. The teacher had the ..................... of seeing three of her stu-
dents receive scholarships last year.
2. As children approach adolescence, there is a tendency
to ......................... their emotions.
3. In the absence of a ................., it is your word against mine.
4. The Smiths' have a reputation of hosting very .......................
events; however, their daughter's engagement was
5. It took three generations of hard work and sacrifice to
................................... that wealth.
DIRECTION: Read the sentences carefully. Each sentence
has four options, review the options and select the one that
is CLOSEST in meaning to the original sentence.
6. Developing the agricultural sector remains crucial to
the future of our economy and it is hoped that the in-
troduction of the Farmers' Markets, will encourage
more citizens to become involved in food production.
A. The future of our economy will depend on our
ability to develop the agricultural sector. It is
hoped that the introduction of the Farmers'
Markets, will inspire more citizens to get in-
volved in food production.
B. With the introduction of the Farmers' Markets,
it is hoped that more citizens will become inter-
est in developing the agricultural sector.
C. The agricultural sector remains critical to the
future of our economy. It is hoped that with
the introduction of the Farmers' Markets,
more citizens will become interested in food
D. The introduction of Farmers' Markets should
help to spark citizens to become more in-
volved in the production of food.
7. The little boy was riding in the road and the next thing
we knew, he was down on the ground grimacing in
11. All members of the team is required to undergo
a physical examination and drug testing. No Error
12. You will have to travel from the gymnasium, as I doubt
whether I will finish my meeting in time to take you
home. No Error
13. As a consequence of there poor workmanship, the
company has lost it contract to provide furniture for
the offices. No Error
14. Can I take a picture of you standing alongside the
monument? No Error
15. You are as good a stenographer as me. No Error
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully then select the
word that is NEAREST in meaning to underlined word in the
16. We are willing to expedite your shipment, provided we
receive your payment today.
17. Even after the counsellor explained to the teenager,
the panic she had caused her parents by leaving home
without permission, she showed no remorse.
18. Based on your knowledge of Steven, do you believe he
has the aptitude to become a Civil Engineer?
19. The soldier was reprimanded by his senior officer for
his persistent tardiness.
20. It would be improper to make a decision about the
matter without having perused all the information.
Continued on the next page
Links Archive August 9th 2015 August 11th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page