Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 27th 2015 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
Thursday, August 27, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
JENSEN LA VENDE
The mother of the 21-year-old
man who is in police custody after
killing another 21-year-old report-
edly over a 17-year-old girl has
apologised to the family of the
Speaking with the T&T
Guardian yesterday the mother of
four said she did not want to be
identified as she and her family
have been receiving threats since
her son surrendered to police.
Asked what she wanted to tell the
family, the woman said: "I am sorry
for what my son did."
Speaking at the family's home
at Hassarath Road, Cunupia, yes-
terday afternoon, the woman said
she ignored advice from neighbours
who told her to hide her son and
whisk him out of the area following
the fatal blow he allegedly dealt to
his neighbour Satesh Narine.
According to police, Narine and
his girlfriend were walking on Has-
sarath Road, Cunupia, around 6.30
pm on Tuesday when the suspect
pulled up alongside them in a van
and exited his vehicle.
An argument began between the
two men and the suspect report-
edly returned to his vehicle and
retrieved the piece of iron, hitting
Narine on the head and drove off.
Narine died on the scene.
The police version differ slightly
from what the suspect's family dis-
closed. His mother said her son
came home and was frantic, telling
her he did something bad.
"He come home and he say
Mammy I do something and it go
get we in trouble. Ah tell the boy
leave me alone, leave me alone.'
"When I went I see the boy lying
down on the road and it had people
around. I say the safest thing to
do was to carry him in the police
station. People say take him away.
For what, he would have been in
more trouble," the woman said.
She said the girl at the centre of
the controversy was like a daughter
to her and his parents were like
parents to her son.
She said although the couple
had been separated for over six
months, her son would still go to
their home whenever they request-
ed and was still friendly with the
She added: "I believe my son
was provoked because he is not
that type of fella to just do anybody
anything. He is not an idle fella he
would work all hours to keep his
mind off the girl after they break
Other relatives who were at
home when the T&T Guardian vis-
ited said the suspect had been
repeatedly threatened and on at
least two occasions car loads of
men came looking for him.
The last time he was threatened,
the girl's father promised to put
an end to the intended violence.
Relatives said after the death they
received death threats from relatives
of the deceased and had not slept
The family say they planned to
vacate their home of over 20 years
because of the threats which they
have reported to the Cunupia Police
Speaking with the media at the
Forensic Science Centre, St James,
yesterday Narine's father wept
openly as he recounted the life of
Alex Narine said he gave all he
had to his son who, he said, never
gave him any form of trouble.
"They hit him with a piece of
iron in his head. I work hard for
that boy. I don't know what to do.
Why he do that to that boy? I work
real hard for he.
"I couldn't afford anything for
me. I give everything I had to him
and they take he just so boy? This
is cause of some girl, boy, he added.
Satesh Narine and
his girlfriend in an
In the aftermath of the July 24
prison break at the Port-of-Spain
Prison authorities are probing the cir-
cumstances under which a cache of
guns, ammo and grenades has landed
up in the Beetham landfill in Port-of-
Spain, metres from the capital city
and the Beetham Gardens.
T&T Guardian was told by prison
sources a clean-up exercise was done,
allegedly by prisons officers who were
privy to the plan weeks before and were
able to bag up the remaining guns,
ammunition and grenades and have
one of the prisoners dump it in a dump-
That dumpster, which is located to
the back of the prison, was taken to the
landfill sometime during the weekend.
Prison officers fear that should a fire
be ignited in the landfill, the explosives
can blow up, causing serious injury or
even death to landfill workers and other
sanitation workers coming in to dump
The source said the weapons were
allegedly brought into the prison on
three occasions: During an Eid function,
in ice cream which was brought for the
birthday celebrations of one of the three
escapees, Hassan "Monster" Atwell,
and in a one-liner juice carton. Atwell's
birthday was celebrated on July 20, four
days before the prison break.
On the actual day of the prison break,
T&T Guardian was told a senior prisons
officer, who is no longer assigned to
the Port-of-Spain prison but still fre-
quents there, allegedly instructed that
inmates be only searched by officers of
the Special Search Team, a unit which
is part of Operations.
"We found it strange the day these
instructions were given prisons officers
had no choice but to obey," the prison
It is also alleged that another senior
prisons officer, subsequent to the inci-
dent, was given another acting senior
It is alleged that this same officer,
one week before the incident, got into
a confrontation with the three escapees
--- Atwell, Allan "Scanny" Martin and
Christopher Selby. No official report
was made against them.
Since the incident, only three officers
have been suspended despite the fact
that initially it was reported that seven
prisons officers, including an Assistant
Superintendent of Prisons, were alleged-
ly in the line-up for suspension.
These officers were identified during
a fact-finding exercise headed by Inves-
tigating Officer DCP Glen Hackett.
On August 3, 2015 two suspension
letters were handed out, one to an acting
Superintendent of Prisons and another
officer. A third officer was subsequently
suspended the next day.
The suspension letters were headed:
Suspension from Duty --- Allegation of
It stated that the officers failed to
take the necessary actions promptly
which contributed to the escape of
Atwell, Martin and Selby; secondly,
injury to PO I Leon Rouse; and thirdly,
death of police constable Sherman May-
Another prison source explained it
was believed prisons officers on duty
that day were privy to information on
the prison break and allegedly did noth-
"But what was not told was that the
information allegedly came within five
minutes of the time the prison break
actually occurred, meaning that five
minutes may not have been sufficient
time for seniors on duty to attempt to
prevent anything from going down,"
the prison source said.
On July 24, 2015 at about 12.30 pm
Atwell, Selby and Martin pointed guns
at prisons officers on duty inside the
prison. Martin got the keys to the front
gate, which he opened for them to run
out onto Frederick Street.
PC Sherman Maynard was shot as
the escapees targeted the vehicle in
which he was sitting. He subsequently
died. Martin was shot dead by police
on the Port-of-Spain General Hospital's
Atwell and Selby escaped but Atwell
was gunned down on Saturday night
in East Dry River, Port-of-Spain. On
July 26, Selby surrendered.
Prison guns dumped
in Beetham landfill General secretary of the
Association Gerald Gordon
questioned why the
seemingly gone silent or
wondered if it was going to
be a cover-up.
He added that the
association was hell-bent
on having the issue dealt
with by the relevant
"The implementation of
grabbers on the ground and
the CCTV installation is all
well and good but the
prison break issue itself still
lingers and there is need to
get to the bottom of this
but we are not hearing
anything again on the
issue. We are wondering
why this entire issue has
gone silent," Gordon said.
Contacted yesterday for
comment, Minister of
National Security Carl
Alfonso said investigations
were ongoing into the
circumstances that led up
to the prison break.
However, he did not
want to say anything that
would cause panic among
the citizens of the country,
especially as the general
election was drawing close.
"There are too many
things coming to us that
can cause panic if they are
disclosed, including, death
threats," Alfonso said.
He, however, did not
deny or confirm the
information that T&T
Guardian had received.
Man killed over woman
Clean-up by officers after breakout'
Links Archive August 26th 2015 August 28th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page