Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 1st 2015 Contents A50
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, September 1, 2015
MANCHESTER---For the second
straight year, Manchester United is
turning to French club Monaco to
solve its striker shortage in the final
hours of Europe s summer transfer
Twelve months ago, it was
Radamel Falcao. This time, it s
The French Football Federation
said yesterday that Martial, a 19-
year-old forward who has been com-
pared to France great Thierry Henry,
was granted permission to leave
France s national squad to sign a con-
tract at United.
Reports in the French and English
media said Martial will cost United
36 million pounds ($55.5 million), a
hefty fee for a player who has started
only 29 games and was just called
up by France for the first time ahead
of upcoming friendlies against Serbia
Martial, who signed a new contract
at Monaco this summer until 2019,
would be the most expensive teenager
in the history of the game.
United is taking a gamble on Mar-
tial after the team scored just three
goals in its opening four matches of
the Premier League season. Wayne
Rooney has been used by United
manager Louis van Gaal as a lone
striker, but hasn t scored in the league
since April 4.
Martial can play as a winger or as
a central striker, and has played at
all youth levels for France.
He scored nine goals in 35 league
matches last season and is widely
regarded as one of the brightest
young players in French football
alongside Lyon s Nabil Fekir.
With his speed, technical skills
and penchant for cutting in from the
left, Martial has many of the same
attributes as Henry---France s record
goalscorer and a Premier League great
from his time at Arsenal.
Martial joined Monaco from Lyon
in 2013 for 5 million euros and blos-
somed last season, relegating veteran
Dimitar Berbatov to the bench toward
the end of the campaign.
"He approached (France coach)
Didier Deschamps for authorisation
to go to England to sign a contract
with Manchester United there," a
FFR statement said about Martial.
"In these exceptional circum-
stances, the coach accepted the
request of the player."
Martial is due to link up again with
the France squad at its Clairfontaine
base near Paris on Tuesday.
A loan move for Falcao didn t turn
out well for United, with the Colom-
bia striker scoring four goals in 29
appearances. United rejected the
opportunity to sign Falcao on a per-
manent basis and also sold Robin
van Persie this offseason.
With United offloading Javier Her-
nandez to Bayer Leverkusen on a
three-year deal on Monday, the only
other striker in Van Gaal s squad is
youngster James Wilson.
United also sent attacking mid-
fielder Adnan Januzaj on loan to
Borussia Dortmund for the season
and sold back-up goalkeeper Anders
Lindegaard to West Bromwich
The transfer window closes in
Man U turns to Monaco
again to sign Martial
FRANKFURT---Awash in cash,
Wolfsburg broke its club transfer
record by signing Germany mid-
fielder Julian Draxler from Schalke
on the final day of the European
transfer window yesterday.
Draxler signed a five-year deal esti-
mated at 35 million euros ($39.25 mil-
lion), which would make it the second
biggest transfer inside the Bundesliga
after Mario Goetze s 37 million-euro
($41.5-million) move to Bayern from
Dortmund two years ago.
Schalke director Horst Heldt gave
no details but said it was the richest
transfer in the club s history.
In other deadline-day moves, Bayer
Leverkusen signed Mexico striker
Javier Hernandez to a three-year con-
tract from Manchester United, which
also sent Adnan Januzaj on loan to
German media estimate that
Wolfsburg collected about 100 million
euros ($112.15 million) for Kevin de
Bruyne and Ivan Perisic, who joined
Manchester City and Inter Milan,
Draxler, who was on Germany s
World Cup winning squad in Brazil
last year, is expected to fill the gap
left by de Bruyne s departure.
Wolfsburg also confirmed the
arrival of Brazil defender Dante from
Bayern Munich. Dante signed a three-
At the same time, Wolfsburg
released attacking midfielder Aaron
Hunt, who signed a three-year con-
tract with Hamburger SV.
Schalke took midfielder Pierre-
Emile Hoejbjerg on loan from Bayern
Munich until the end of the season
Elsewhere, Dortmund signed
Januzaj on loan until the end of the
season, while Bayer Leverkusen sent
Australia striker Robbie Kruse to
Stuttgart, also on loan.
Mainz took Colombian striker Jhon
Cordoba on a season-long loan from
Granada, with an option for a more
South Korea midfielder Koo Ja-
cheol returned to Augsburg on a two-
year a deal. Koo played for Augsburg
on loan from Wolfsburg three years
He returned to Wolfsburg and was
then sent to Mainz at the start of
Marseille signs Portugal
PARIS---Forced to restructure after
the unexpected departure of its coach
earlier this month, Marseille bolstered
its defense by signing Portugal inter-
national Rolando on the final day of
Europe s transfer window.
Marseille, which replaced Marcelo
Bielsa with former Olympiakos coach
Michel, got off to a poor start this
season, losing three of its four league
games. Bielsa abruptly left the club
after the first game of the season over
a contract dispute.
The 30-year-old Rolando, who
joined from Porto, has 19 caps with
Portugal. He also had stints with
Napoli, Inter Milan and Anderlecht
over the past two years.
With French clubs struggling to
attract the biggest names, the main
news on deadline day was Monaco
forward Anthony Martial s last-
minute departure from France s
national team to sign a contract with
Liverpool sells Borini to
ed the restructuring of its forward
line by offloading Italian striker Fabio
Borini to Sunderland yesterday.
Sunderland says Borini has signed
a four-year deal, with British media
reporting a transfer fee of 10 million
pounds ($15.4 million).
The 24-year-old Borini spent a
successful year on loan at Sunderland
in the 2013-14 season, scoring 10
goals to help the northeast team stay
in the Premier League.
Strikers Mario Balotelli and Rickie
Lambert have already left Liverpool
in this transfer window, with Chris-
tian Benteke, Roberto Firmino and
Danny Ings arriving.
Wolfsburg snatches Germany Draxler from Schalke
FLORENCE---Toronto FC for-
ward Sebastian Giovinco has
pulled out of the Italy squad
with an injury, two days after
he was recalled by coach Anto-
nio Conte following an absence
of almost a year.
Giovinco was substituted early
in the second half of Saturday s
win against Montreal Impact
with an adductor muscle injury
but still flew to Italy to join the
The Italian football federation
confirmed yesterday that
Giovinco had left the training
camp at Coverciano, near Flo-
rence, "early in the afternoon"
as he was not fit for the upcom-
ing European Champions qual-
ifiers against Malta and Bulgar-
ia.Napoli forward Lorenzo
Insigne was called up Sunday
Italy hosts Malta in Florence
on Thursday before playing Bul-
garia in Palermo three days later.
Conte s team is second in
Group H, a point behind Croatia
and two ahead of Norway.
This is a Sunday,
December 8, 2013 file
photo of Monaco's
Anthony Martial of
France as he reacts
during his French
League One soccer
match, in Monaco
Ajaccio. AP PHOTO
out of Italy
Wolfsburg's Bas Dost, bottom, challenges for the ball with Schalke's Dennis Aogo, right, and Julian Draxler, left, during
the German Bundesliga soccer match between Vfl Wolfsburg and FC Schalke 04 in Wolfsburg, Friday. AP PHOTO
Links Archive August 31st 2015 September 2nd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page