Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 7th 2015 Contents Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Monday, September 7, 2015
51. According to the speaker, why is "Man" prone to
A. He is accountable to no one
B. He lacks discipline
C. He has grown accustomed to being late
D. He loves delay
41. Students who utilize public transport to get to
school often occupy their time by
A. Chewing gum
B. Playing games
C. Sleeping, studying and socializing
D. Chewing gum, consuming snacks and reading
42. Institutions are able to uphold their reputation by?
A. Guiding students
B. Regulating the activities of students.
C. Teachers accompanying students throughout
D. Students are accountable to one another.
43. Why is there a need to protect the school's reputa-
A. The Japanese are proud people.
B. The Japanese subscribe to high standards.
C. No school wants to be associated with indisci-
D. The school's reputation is its best asset.
44. What makes Japanese students recognisable?
A. The school uniforms they wear
B. Their fine reputation
C. Their willingness to conform to government
D. Their attention to discipline
45. Based on your understanding of the text "toban"
would be equivalent to
A. Roll call
46. What is the obvious benefit to the school of having
students wear slippers on the school compound?
A. It makes the students recognisable to their
teachers and peers
B. It allows for uniformity and a clean environment
C. It keeps their feet cool and comfortable
D. It helps to keep the environment clean.
47. What measures have been institute by the Japan-
ese School System to enable kids to develop their
A. Regulating students' activities to protect the
B. The involvement of students in cleaning their
C. The responsibility of students to prepare their
D. Shared administrative functions and assigned
task committee responsibilities
48. Based on your understanding of the text, the daily
administrative duties are whose responsibility?
A. The school's responsibility
B. Shared between teachers and students
C. The responsibility of the students
D. Parents and teachers
49. What unique benefit do elementary and secondary
school students enjoy?
A. Strict schedules and activities
B. Group assignments
C. Participation in extracurricular activities
D. Government subsidized lunches
50. Why have the schools seen it fit to post the sched-
ule in every classroom?
A. To enlighten the students about the work
B. To help students prepare throughout the day for
C. To ensure students' punctuality at every class
D. To keep the students apprised of any changes in
DIRECTION: Read the poem carefully before attempting
the questions. Each question has four options, select the
most appropriate answer, based on what is implied or
stated in the poem.
Man Naturally loves delay,
And to procrastinate;
Business put off from day to day
Is always done too late.
Let ever hour be in its place
Firm fixed, nor loosely shift,
And well enjoy the vacant space,
As though a birthday gift.
And when the hour arrives, be there,
Where'er that "there" may be;
Uncleanly hands or ruffled hair
Let no one ever see.
If dinner at "half-past" be placed,
At "half-past" then be dressed.
If at a "quarter-past" make haste
To be down with the rest
Better to be before you time,
Than e're to be behind;
To open the door while strikes the chime,
That shows a punctual mind.
By Lewis Carroll
52. Line 2 the writer uses the word "procrastinate" to
A. Deliberate intent to waste time
B. Delay resulting from insufficient planning
C. No real urgency to accomplish anything
D. Disrespect for another person's time
53. What does the writer recommend to avoid delay?
A. Implement a schedule
B. Treat time with respect
C. Hasten to get things done
D. Exercise discipline
54. "And when the hour arrives, be there," SIMPLY
A. Be on time
B. Do not delay
C. Ensure you are where you need to be
D. Arrive on the hour
55. What is the evidence of a punctual mind?
A. To be at the door after the chime strikes
B. To be at your destination before the chime
C. To open the door while the chime strikes
D. To arrive before others do
56. As a precautionary measure, what does the writer
A. Leave for your destination well in advance
B. Arrive at your destination early
C. Implement a schedule and stick to it
D. Make sure you are tidy when you get there
57. What is the MAIN theme of the poem?
A. Strive to be punctual
B. Do not procrastinate
C. Implement a schedule
D. Time waits on no man
58. The attitude of the speaker is BEST described as
59. Apart from punctuality, is there and other behaviour
the speaker finds objectionable?
A. Persons that are late and half dressed
C. Dirty and dishevelled person
D. Persons that practice deceit and procrastination
60. The views held by the speaker are indicative of
A. His values
B. His ideas
C. His philosophy
D. His character
END OF ENGLISH TEST
Links Archive September 6th 2015 September 8th 2015 Navigation Previous Page