Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 9th 2015 Contents Q o s See your Friday Guardian
for the Answers
Write about any one (1) of the following:-
1. You will be sitting the S.E A Examination next
year. Write a letter to your parent/ guardian de-
scribing to him or her, in some detail, three (3)
most important things to which you will be pay-
ing attention for this examination (apart from
the need to study hard) and suggesting ways in
which you hope to achieve these goals
2. In Trinidad, we have been experiencing ,
presently, extremely hot weather. Do you enjoy it
when it is so hot? What do you like/ dislike
about the hot weather? Write a letter to a close
friend, beginning with the following line: "The
weather these days is really a tremendous chal-
lenge to me...."
3. Did you enjoy your most recent vacation? What
did you do and what did you enjoy the most? Do
you wish that the holidays were longer? Write a
story that begins with the following line (Ei-
ther): I wish this vacation could go on forever..."
OR:- "I will be most excited to return to school..."
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Write the name of the Part of Speech of each
Can you tell me (a) if (b) her car is parked out-
side. (a) Conjunction (b) Adjective
1. (a) Come immediately! You might miss the (b)
(a) ________________ (b) _______________
2. If you come (a) around, tomorrow (b) that will
be our last meeting. (a) ________________
3. We do not (a) care (b) who does it, once it is
done quickly. (a) ________________
4. Please put down all pens (a) after the sound of
the (b) third bell. (a) ________________
B. Tick the more correct word to complete the
Everyone complains (towards ; about) the hot
5. It is always difficult to part (with ; from) very
6. The children were prevented (from ; at) bathing
in the pool.
7. There is a need (of ; for) much rain in many of
the Caribbean islands.
8. The players were vexed (with ; at) the unsual
decision to postpone the match.
C. Underline one (1) of the words in the brackets
to join the parts of each sentences.
Let me know to (who ; whom) I should address
9. Yesterday we met the girl (whose ; who) brother
is captain of our football team.
10. Tomorrow, the class will visit the museum (that ;
what) is one of our country's landmark.
11. Please let us know (whom ; who) will accom-
pany us to the movies on Saturday.
12. That bat with (which ; what) he opened the in-
nings, is his lucky bat.
D. Circle one (1) of the given answers to complete
the sentences, below.
The pair of socks (was ; were) found in the cor-
ner of the drawer.
13. Neither the tomatoes nor the kilogram of pota-
toes (has ; have) been packed in the bag.
14. One boy among the players (was ; were) wear-
ing a knee band.
15. Either the ice cream or the muffins (is ; are) to
be served as dessert.
E. Write, in the brackets, the singular form of
each underlined word.
There was a colorful radios (radio) on sale at the
16. Each child received a halves (___________) of
the huge mango.
17. The princess lives in a majestic chateaux
(___________) in the mountains.
18. The farmer had put his cattle (___________) to
graze in the grassy savanna.
19. Mummy used her scissorss (___________) to
cut the piece of cloth.
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Underline each error then rewrite only
the correction in the brackets provided.
The vendor was selling roast corn at the side of
the street. (roasted) - Past Part. is needed, he
20. We admire Anthony for his honesty but not his
21. The twin sisters both love one another.
22. We would have told her about it, before if we did
know about it on time. (___________)
VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. Complete EACH of the following sentences
with the MOST APPROPRIATE word from
those in the brackets.
The witness gave the police an ____________ de-
scription of the felon. (accurate, interesting)
The witness gave the police an accurate descrip-
tion of the felon.
23. (Research, Trials) done by scientists on the use
of tobacco has revealed that cigarette smoke is
the number one cause of lung cancer.
24. Today, the electronic mail is considered to be the
fastest way to (communicate, undertake) writ-
ten messages to people anywhere in the world.
25. Success often comes with the (indulgence, sac-
rifice) of some things we enjoy doing.
26. With the introduction of computers in many
workplaces, employees needed to be (retrained,
replaced) in order to use them.
Continued on the next page
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, September 9, 2015
Links Archive September 8th 2015 September 10th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page