Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 16th 2015 Contents Q o s See your Friday Guardian
for the Answers
Do any one (1) of the following:-
1. Have you ever had an argument with a friend or
family member? How did it make you feel?
Write a story that begins with the following
line:- "I really did not understand how the argu-
ment had all started but I hoped that it would
soon come to an end...".
2. Did you ever wonder what you would do if you
were invited to be on any Television show that
you wished? What show would it be and why
would you choose that particular one? What role
or part, do you think, you would like to play on
this show? Write a story giving some details
about the invitation and your choice of Television
show. Let your story begin with the line: "To be
on a popular Television show was indeed going
to be dream come true, for me..."
3. Your parents have told you that you waste much
valuable time playing computer and cell phone
games Write a letter to them, giving reasons
why you feel that using your cell phone has, in
fact, been entertaining and useful to you.
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Write in the Past Tense or Past Participle of
each given verb to complete the following sen-
Mummy (cut) cut (Past Tense) the bread into
slices after she had (take) taken (Past Part.) it
out from the bag.
1. Raymond had (hold) _____________ the injured
bird in his hand when he (see) ___________ that
it was injured.
2. The heavy winds that (blow) ______________
this morning have (break) ____________ the thin
2. Bovell, the champion had (swim) _____________
the 100 metres race very fast as he (seek)
______________ to break the national record.
4. Maggie carefully (grind) _________________ the
meat that she had (buy) _________________ in
B. Write in the brackets the shortened form of
the underlined words, to complete each sen-
Will you not (Won't you) be able to finish the
task by tomorrow?
5. Are you not (____________) going by our grand-
mother's, this week end?
6. You must not give up too easily (____________)
if you wish to be a successful person.
7. Everyone knows that she has (____________) a
8. They would (____________) help us if they could.
C. Change the following sentences into their
shorter forms. (Use the underlined words as
(S1) A surprise awaited us when we arrived.
(S2) A surprise awaited us on our arrival. (The
clause has been changed to a phrase)
9. Marlene had succeeded because she was intelli-
10. Our Grandmother told us when she was born.
11. When we heard the scores, we were extremely
12. The workers left the office as the clock struck
D. Write 'Trans' or 'Intrans' to describe each of
the underlined verbs.
(S1) David has eaten most of his lunch. (Trans)
(S2) The dog ran away with the ball in its
13. Gabrielle spread the peanut butter on her toast.
14. My pet loves chasing after a tennis ball.
15. The children helped to blow the balloons for the
16. During the game, most of the children had
climbed the tree. (_____________)
E. Fill in the blanks in each sentence with the plu-
ral form of each given word.
They traveled by (taxi) taxis to reach their desti-
16. Many (passer by) ______________ stopped to
look at the accident.
18. After a half an hour, the passengers had received
their (luggage) ______________.
19. Our (sister in law) _______________ are very
helpful to us.
F. The following sentences each contain an error.
Read each sentence well, underline the error
then rewrite only the correction.
Maggie's new dress is more beautiful than her
sister. (her sister's) - her sister's dress
20. They past me on the way to the beach.
21. Were you please with the gifts you received?
22. Each of the passengers were given a food
VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. Complete EACH of the following sentences
with a WORD that is SIMILAR in meaning to
those in the brackets after each sentence.
The harsh weather added to the campers' dis-
comfort. (lack of ease)
23. The athlete from St. Lucia __________________
the marathon. (came in first)
Continued on the next page
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Links Archive September 15th 2015 September 17th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page