Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 18th 2015 Contents A5
Friday, September 18, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
INTRODUCING THE HONDA OEM*
$1.00 Per Litre/CNG
* ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER.
3 YEARS HONDA WARRANTY
TEST DRIVE ONE TODAY!
Port of Spain: 624-3714 • 625-2277
San Fernando: 657-2277 (CARS)
Chaguanas: 672-0991 • 671-3913
Tobago 639-2277 (CARS)
JENSEN LA VENDE
The man who shot and killed Akeem Bas-
cillo and his girlfriend Jewel George on
Wednesday night had been following them,
waiting for the right time to strike.
So said Bascillo s stepfather, Ryan Nanlal,
who told the media at the Forensic Science
Centre, St James, yesterday Bascillo, 21 and
George, 20, noticed a strange car following
and tried to hide out at a bar along the Eastern
Main Road to evade their stalkers.
When they thought it was safe, they left
the bar and were walking along the Eastern
Main Road, near the Tacarigua Pharmacy West,
when a gunman approached the couple and
shot them both in the head.
He then ran off. Police said the shooting
took place around 9 pm. The couple fell on
the pavement next to each other on the side-
walk. Photos of the dead bodies were circulated
on social media minutes later, before police
arrived on the scene and cordoned off the
Bascillo s mother, Nanlal said, was about
100 feet away and heard the gunshots that
took her child s life and that of his girlfriend
as she awaited his arrival at her home.
Nanlal said the boy s father, Ricardo Daniel,
had earlier advised the couple not to leave his
Huggins Street, Tacarigua, home as it was too
The couple, he said, wanted to get something
to eat before going to the home of Bascillo s
mother who lived south of the Priority Bus
Earlier that day Bascillo s life was threatened,
He said someone telephoned Bascillo s
cousin, who he limed with frequently, to relay
the threat to the disc jockey. He said that since
then Bascillo was moving cautiously.
"He was with the girl about two years now.
We not sure but we believe it have something
relating to the girl.
"Under all seriousness it would be through
the girl. His father brace him when they were
leaving and asked them where they were going
at this hour because they were home good all
"He (Bascillo) said they just wanted to go
by the Chinese restaurant and then I think
they were going by his mother house, while
they gone to get food by the Chinese place,
they get kill by the gunman," Nanlal said.
Bascillo s father, who was also at the Forensic
Science Centre, said his son was an intelligent
young man who loved sports and deejaying.
"He wasn t any violent person. He was
never in drugs. He didn t even like to smoke
cigarettes. Anywhere you see him he was a
pleasant person and those who knew him they
could tell you," Daniel said, before he was called
away by staff at the centre.
Nanlal told the media Bascillo had won
a competition recently with radio station Boom
Champions 94.1 FM and was expected to begin
working there as part of his prize.
Relatives of George, who lived at Macoya
Road, Tunapuna, were too distraught to speak
with the media when approached.
Four murders in the last 24 hours has
jolted the Police Service into action as more
anti-crime operations are planned in the
Speaking at the weekly press briefing yes-
terday public information officer, ASP Michael
Pierre, said a special operational team met
this week and in the coming weeks police
exercises would be done. He called on mem-
bers of the public to comply and assist the
Pierre said that eight of every ten murders
were committed with illegal guns and the
growing concern for the lawmen was that
the guns being seized were sub-machine
guns and other high-powered weapons.
The murder toll now stands at 305, sur-
passing the corresponding figure for last year
Two of the four murders were that of 51-
year-old Franklyn Carr and Joun Phillip, 27.
Police said Carr, who would have turned
52 on Republic Day, was shot dead at Nelson
Street around 9 pm Wednesday night. Carr,
of Second Hamlet Trace, Upper St Barbs,
Laventille, was driving a silver Nissan Almera
along Nelson Street with two passengers
when he was shot as he neared Buildings
Speaking with the media at the Forensic
Science Centre, St James, yesterday his rel-
atives said he started working PH taxi two
weeks ago to earn extra money to support
his son who recently began attending South
The mason and father of three was
described as a cool person who "simmer
down" and used to tell all the youths in the
area who were inclined to illegal activity to
stay far from him.
Six hours earlier, Phillip, of Bazilon Street,
El Dorado, was stabbed to death during a
fight with a man.
Phillip, a technician with Car Search Ltd
was near El Dorado Road when he saw a
man who he knew. The two spoke briefly
before they began fighting. Phillip was stabbed
in the chest and arms before his attacker ran
Relatives of Phillip said he was the type
of man who would not lime or was aggressive.
They said Phillip when he was not at home
was at work and that was his life. They said
Phillip had been threatened earlier in the day
and when he saw the man who threatened
him he approached him.
Police say they have no motive for any of
the two killings. (JLV)
Four murders in 24 hours...
Double murder in Tacarigua
Couple stalked to death
An officer at the scene of Wednesday night's double murder of Jewel George and Akeem
Bascillo along the Eastern Main Road, Tacarigua. PHOTO: ABRAHAM DIAZ
Police had to be called in yes-
terday to protect the owner of a
security company, contracted by
Brazilian construction firm, OAS
Construtora, after over 50 disgrun-
tled guards demanded their
The group, who are employed as
security officers at First Response,
say their employer s September 5
pay date had elapsed and they were
not willing to wait anymore.
They formed a human barricade
to prevent the company s owner
from leaving the compound in his
The owner, Asoullina Mark, an
Israeli, says he is not being paid in
full by OAS Construtora --- the com-
pany contracted to built the $7.2
billion Solomon Highway extension
to Point Fortin --- and therefore he
cannot pay the workers until he
The T&T Guardian visited the
First Response s office yesterday,
where about 30 of the employees
sat on the side of the road and
awaited word of their salaries, while
two police vehicles remained parked
in front of the office.
One security officer, Ashley
Alexander, says they were made to
work 72 hour shifts under poor con-
ditions and have reached their boil-
"We want our money now! It
has been a month-and-a- half since
we last got paid and everyday they
are telling us tomorrow.
"We worked from Friday night,
straight until Monday morning
without any relief on sites with no
water and no lights," she said.
Alexander said their employer
told them there might be a slight
delay in salaries for August because
of the September 7 election but ten
days later they were still waiting for
word on when they would be paid.
"He said because of the election
we would have a delay but now we
are being told today, tomorrow or
next day and we heard he is going
to leave the country without paying
us our money," she added.
Alexander said that prompted
the protest action, adding if their
salaries were not paid they will take
the matter to the courts.
Mark said his company had been
providing security at construction
sites since October 2014 but with
the change in government there
have been delays in collecting
"I told them we are getting the
money in little pieces so I wanted
to share it equally amongst all of
them but there are some people
who want their entire salary all at
once," he said.
Mark said the outstanding salaries
amounted to over $600,000.
Security officers turn on boss over late pay
Links Archive September 17th 2015 September 19th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page