Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 25th 2015 Contents Prison
Still trying to rebuild his life following a dev-
astating fire, Cipriani Cato was hit a double
blow when his 25-year-old epileptic son Richard
Cato drowned at Hollywood Beach on Wednes-
day. Cato, 25, of Nurse Street, Cap-de-ville
was found lying dead at the shore of the
beach off Chin Yuen Kee Trace, a short
distance from his home. His shorts and
teeshirt were draped over a rock close
to his body which was clad only in
In an interview yesterday, Cipriani said
it seems that Cato sufffered an epileptic
seizure and drowned.
"He had epilepsy since he was three months
old. He was never one to see this as a disability.
He was very ambitious and never saw obstacles.
To him they were stepping stones for growth,"
Cipriani said. He explained that Cato achieved all
his CXC and A Level qualifications and was deter-
mined to become an attorney despite his condi-
"He bought all his law books and was enrolled
at law school but 16 months ago we had a fire and
everything was destroyed," Cipriani said. With no
books and laptop, Cato had no choice but to drop
out of law school, Cipriani said. Cato then enrolled
to do a British Safety Course in San Fernando.
"He had classes every day from 5 pm to 8 pm
in San Fernando and I would go to pick him up,"
Cipriani revealed. He described his son as an all
rounder who was ambitious. "He told us he would-
get a job as a safety officer and work his way
towards becoming an attorney."
Cipriani said he used all his savings and took
a loan to rebuild their house.
"Now that this has happened, we struggling to
make arrangements for the funeral," Cipriani said.
"He was always jovial and spiritual," Nesbitt
said. Anyone wanting to assist the family can con-
tact Cipriani at 480-9668.
Yesterday marked two months since the
Port-of-Spain jailbreak and the investiga-
tions have seemed to go silent.
Body scanners, jammers and surveillance
cameras are also still outstanding to be
installed throughout the nation s prisons,
as promised by the then minister of National
Security Carl Alfonso and current Commissioner
of Prisons Sterling Stewart.
In an interview general secretary of the Prisons
Officers Association (POA) Gerald Gordon said
since the suspension of three prison officers the
association had not heard anything on how far
the investigations have reached and whether or
not any more officers would face suspension.
These officers were identified during a fact-
finding exercise headed by investigating officer
deputy Commissioner of Police Glen Hackett.
"We are here just waiting in hope that it is
not one of the things that has died a natural
death. It is important for us, for officers, especially
the citizens of T&T to understand exactly what
happened on that day," Gordon said.
"It is also important that when we know, we
should be guided as to the necessary work that
could be done now to ensure that something like
this never happen again in T&T," he added.
When asked when the body scanners are
expected to be installed, Gordon said in about
six weeks time.
He said the cellphone jammers had
already been purchased but there was a
slight delay in the installation given the
fact that they were trying to work out
how they are going to install it in con-
junction with the inmate telephone sys-
With respect to the surveillance camera
system, Gordon said that he understood that
the contract had already been awarded but the
actual installation was yet to be finalised.
On July 24 at about 12.30 pm, Hassan Atwell,
Christopher "Monster" and Allan "Scanny" Mar-
tin escaped from the Port-of-Spain State Prison.
PC Sherman Maynard was shot and killed.
Martin was shot dead by police on the hospital s
Atwell and Selby escaped but Atwell was gunned
down on Saturday night at East Dry River, Port-
of-Spain. On Sunday, Selby surrendered at the
Barataria Police Station.
Hackett, who was contacted on Tuesday, said
he was in a meeting. He asked what the T&T
Guardian wanted a comment on and when told
"an update on the investigations into the prison
break," he said to call back.
He, however, did not answer calls from the
T&T Guardian after.
Commissioner of Prisons Sterling Stewart was
also contacted for comment on Tuesday and said
he was unable to speak because he was in a meet-
ing with his band.
Stewart also did not answer calls made to him
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Friday, September 25, 2015
Links Archive September 24th 2015 September 26th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page