Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 30th 2015 Contents A46
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, September 30, 2015
ST JOHN'S---Suspended head coach Phil
Simmons will know his fate within the
next week, after he meets with a West
Indies Cricket Board human resource panel
to discuss his controversial comments.
WICB chief executive, Michael Muirhead,
said yesterday the 52-year-old Trinidadian
had been called to answer "breaches of con-
fidentiality and bringing West Indies Cricket
Board into disrepute."
Simmons told media in Barbados last Fri-
day that the selection process regarding the
one-day team had been influenced by "inter-
ference from outside" and as a result, the
best side had not been chosen for the three-
match series against Sri Lanka starting next
"What has happened with Phil Simmons
is most unfortunate. Rest assured, he has
not been fired. Let us say he s been called
to answer breaches of confidentiality and
bringing West Indies Cricket Board into dis-
repute," Muirhead said.
"He will be given a fair hearing by a panel
and a decision will be made within the
boundaries of our own internal human
"During the process, he will continue to
enjoy the benefits of his full remuneration.
The matter will be dealt with in an expe-
ditious manner and it is our intention to
have a decision within the next seven work-
Simmons made his controversial com-
ments following the conclusion of the week-
long training camp at 3Ws Oval in Barbados
last week, in preparation for the Test tour
of Sri Lanka.
Speaking in relation to the continued
omission of Trinidadian all-rounders
Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard from the
ODI side, Simmons told journalists he and
chairman of selectors, Clive Lloyd, had voted
for the duo s re-inclusion but the three
remaining members of the selection panel
had voted against.
"That s not the disappointing fact, the
disappointing fact is that you can lose 3-
2 in a vote-off but there is too much inter-
ference from outside in the selection of
the ODI squad and it s disappointing for
me to know that in any aspect of life ...
[people would use] their position to get
people into a squad or in this case, get
people left out of a squad," an irate Sim-
"It is wrong and I don t like it and that
is my beef with the selection of the ODI
team." His comments sent shockwaves
through the Caribbean cricket fraternity,
with the WICB moving swiftly to suspend
him on Monday.
However, Simmons gained support in
several quarters, including from Grenada s
Prime Minister Dr Keith Mitchell---Chairman
of CARICOM s Sub Committee on Cricket
Governance---who labelled the claims as
"disturbing" and said the selection panel
needed to be "free of interference, fear, or
Muirhead said the WICB would continue
to manage its affairs in a highly professional
manner, despite what appeared to be
"another controversy" in West Indies crick-
"Let me first apologise to the public for
what seems to be another controversy within
the West Indies Cricket Board," Muirhead
"We are trying manage the business of
West Indies cricket in a particular and pro-
fessional manner and whenever there is
change taking place things are bound to
controversial at times.
"Integrity and professionalism are high
on our agenda and we will not compromise
on that." (CMC)
Simmons' future to be
decided within seven days
WICB CEO Michael Muirhead.
Chairman of West Indies selectors
Clive Lloyd responded to recent public
statements made by West Indies head
coach, Phil Simmons saying: "It was
drawn to my attention several things
which were said by Head Coach of the
West Indies team Phil Simmons
recently as he addressed members of
the media in Barbados, following the
conclusion of the team's camp, ahead of
the Tour of Sri Lanka.
"It must be noted that in the short
time that Phil has been involved as head
coach, he has done a good job in building
team unity and morale, and the players
have warmed to his coaching methods.
"Phil has apologised to all for his
recent public statements and how
strongly he would have felt on certain
selection matters of the team
"We agreed---at times---that we will
have a difference of opinion, but we
cannot condone such outbursts.
"Therefore, we will always seek
discussion and dialogue at every stage
of the selection process and work
towards the best interest of West
LLOYD RESPONDS ON SIMMONS ISSUE
BRIDGETOWN---The second group of West Indies
squad left Barbados yesterday for Sri Lanka, even
as the controversy of over head coach Phil Sim-
mons s suspension continued to swirl.
Simmons was on Monday suspended by West
Indies Cricket Board management after taking the
unusual step of claiming that the selection panel---
of which he is a member---had suffered from "out-
side interference" with regards to the picking of
the one-day team for the upcoming tour.
The Trinidadian has been replaced for the tour
by former Windies seamer, Eldine Baptiste, who
is also a selector. He will now oversee the regional
side for the tour that comprises two Tests, three
One-Day Internationals and two Twenty20s.
The squad concluded a week-long camp at the
3Ws Oval last Friday and Simmons, who oversaw
proceedings, said the Windies were prepared to
meet the challenges of the Sri Lanka tour.
"[We expect] a lot of spin because you always
think when you go to the subcontinent you re
going to get a lot of spin so for the last two days
we have had all the UWI spinners bowling at us,"
Simmons said at the time.
"The guys have had some long sessions over in
the spin nets so it s been a lot about spin but it
has also been a lot about getting into the habit of
"Everything needs to be improved on but the
biggest thing is that guys need to score big hun-
The first group of players, comprising mainly
the fast bowling unit, left the island on Monday
and are set to arrive in Colombo on Wednesday,
with the second group of players arriving on Thurs-
West Indies face the Sri Lanka President s XI in
a three-day tour game starting October 8 before
taking on Sri Lanka in the first Test in Galle on
October 14. (CMC)
West Indies jet off
to Sri Lanka as
ZURICH---Michel Platini is being treated as "between
a witness and an accused person" and the Swiss
authorities would raid the UEFA president s office
if necessary to discover the "real truth," the attorney
general said yesterday.
Platini was questioned Friday about a 2011 payment
from FIFA which led to a criminal case being opened
against Blatter, who was quizzed as a suspect.
Platini said yesterday that he doesn t "fear a (FIFA)
suspension because I have done nothing wrong," with
less than a month to go until he must pass integrity
checks to stand in the FIFA presidential election in
Speaking at Zurich University, Swiss Attorney General
Michael Lauber wouldn t be drawn about what might
follow for Platini, or the specifics of the case against
Blatter for "tactical reasons."
Lauber s team searched Blatter s office and seized
data on Friday. Asked if he would be prepared to raid
Platini s UEFA office, Lauber responded: "I will do
anything, if I can do something, to clear up what s
the real truth and if I have enough elements to go
there I could not exclude that I also have to go there."
Blatter was questioned why about why FIFA paid
two million Swiss francs (about $2 million) to Platini
in 2011 for work supposedly carried out at least nine
Asked if the authorities were satisfied with Platini s
answers, Lauber said: "We did not (question) Mr Platini
as a witness...we investigated against him as in between
a witness and an accused person. (AP)
Swiss AG would
raid Platini's office
to find 'real truth'
Top four finishers of Stage One of the Tobago International Cycling Classic (TICC) held at Shirvan Road, yesterday. From left, second
placed Henner Rodel (Germany/Crown Bakery/Knights), winner Norlandy Sanchez (Dominican Republic/Team Foundation), fourth
placed Varun Maharajh (T&T/PSL) and third placed Marlo Rodman (Jamaica/PSL) after receiving their prizes. PHOTO COURTESY TICC
Links Archive September 29th 2015 October 1st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page