Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 4th 2015 Contents A33
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
A Guatemalan emergency official
says the number of people killed when a
hillside collapsed on a group of homes
has risen to 56.
Julio Sanchez says that besides the
dead, officials estimate that 350 people
remain missing. Sanchez is a
spokesman for Guatemala's volunteer
firefighters. The previous death toll was
30 and estimates of the number of
missing had been as high as 600.
Rescue specialists from the Red Cross
and fire and police departments used
dogs to search for any possible
survivors in the mudslide zone, where
tons of earth fell over some 125 homes,
authorities from the region estimate.
After suspending work Friday
evening, search efforts resumed at
dawn yesterday, said Sanchez.
Family members have reported at
least 100 people missing after the
Thursday evening mudslide.
The number of missing could be as
high as 600 based on at least 100
homes in the area, said Alejandro
Maldonado, executive secretary of
Conred, Guatemala's emergency
disaster agency. At least 36 other
people have been reported injured. (AP)
Guatemala death toll reaches 56, more feared dead
A hot hair ballon lands on a service road as many others fly during the opening day of the 44th International Balloon Fiesta in
Albuquerque, NM, yesterday. The nine-day event attracts hundreds of balloonists and thousands of spectators from around the world.
44TH INTERNATIONAL BALLOON FIESTA
Aerial bombardments blew apart a
Doctors Without Borders hospital in the
battleground Afghan city of Kunduz
about the time of a US airstrike early
yesterday, killing at least 19 people, offi-
The blasts left part of the hospital in
flames and rubble, killing 12 staffers and
seven patients---including three children---
and injuring 37 other people, the charity
As the United States said it was inves-
tigating what struck the hospital during
the night, the charity expressed shock
and demanded answers, stressing that
all combatants had been told long ago
where the hospital was.
"(The bombing) constitutes a grave
violation of international humanitarian
law," Doctors Without Borders, known
internationally as Medecins Sans Fron-
tieres, or MSF, said.
"There are many patients and staff
who remain unaccounted for. The num-
bers may grow as a clearer picture devel-
ops of the aftermath of this horrific
bombing," MSF said, adding all the dead
and injured were Afghans.
The bombardments continued even
after US and Afghan military officials
were notified the hospital was being
attacked, the charity said.
The circumstances weren't immediately
clear, but the US military was conducting
an airstrike in Kunduz at the time the
hospital was hit, and the incident is being
investigated, US Army Col Brian Tibus
Specifically, the military is investigating
whether a US AC-130 gunship---which
was in the area firing on Taliban positions
to defend US special operations troops
there---is responsible, a US military offi-
cial said on condition of anonymity.
The incident occurred on roughly the
sixth day of fighting between Afghan
government forces---supported by US air
power and military advisers---and the
Taliban, which invaded the city early this
US Defense Secretary Ash Carter said
the military still was trying to determine
what caused the destruction.
"The area has been the scene of intense
fighting the last few days. US forces in
support of Afghan security forces were
operating nearby, as were Taliban fight-
ers," Carter said.
"While we are still trying to determine
exactly what happened, I want to extend
my thoughts and prayers to everyone
affected. A full investigation into the
tragic incident is underway in co-ordi-
nation with the Afghan government."
19 killed in airstrike on
A Polish priest and Vatican official will no
longer be able to carry out his duties after
announcing he is gay on the eve of the assem-
bly of bishops, a Vatican spokesman said.
With his partner at his side, Msgr Krysztof
Olaf Charamsa held a press conference yesterday
to call on Pope Francis to change the Catholic
catechism on homosexuality. He said the timing
of the announcement was intended to draw
attention to the topic of homosexuality before
the Synod of Bishops, which meets to address
issues facing families starting today in Rome.
"My decision of coming out' is a very per-
sonal decision in the homophobic world of the
Catholic church. It has been very difficult and
very hard. I ask that you keep in mind this
reality that is difficult to understand for anyone
who has not lived through an identical passage
in their own life," Charamsa said.
Charamsa, 43, has lived in Rome for 17 years
and worked at the Vatican's Congregation for
the Doctrine of the Faith since 2003, according
to Vatican Radio. He also serves as assistant
secretary of the International Theological Com-
mission and teaches theology at two of Rome's
Pontifical universities, the Gregorian and the
Pontifical Athenaeum Regina Apostolorum.
"Every homosexual person is a son of God,"
"This is the will of God for our life, also for
my life with him."
Following Charamsa's announcement, the
Vatican said in a statement that Charamsa "will
certainly be unable" to continue in his role with
the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
and the Pontifical universities.
Charamsa's role in the Catholic church will
be determined by his superior, known as a
diocesan bishop or Ordinary, who will carry
out an investigation that will be submitted to
the Congregation of the Doctrine and Faith.
Msgnr Krzysztof Charamsa, left, and his partner,
Eduard, pose for a photo as they leave a restaurant
after a news conference in downtown Rome,
yesterday. AP PHOTO
Gay priest stripped
of Vatican duties
Links Archive October 3rd 2015 October 5th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page