Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 6th 2015 Contents A12
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, October 6, 2015
Four murder accused, three of whom are on
remand for allegedly killing children, are seeking
permission to have their children visit them
while in prison.
In a letter sent to Prison Commissioner
Sterling Stewart on September 25, attorney
Fareed Ali questioned why the Prisons
Service had refused multiple requests
by his clients --- Azmon Alexander,
Dwayne Lewis, Allan Thomas and Keis-
hon Browne --- who have been on
remand for between
two and five years.
"I write to your office ask-
ing that some expedited measure be
put in place to facilitate these pris-
oners, who, in law, may and
ought to be entitled to visits
from their children," Ali said
in the letter.
Contacted yesterday, Ali
explained that while the visitation right
for children was not explictly found in the
service s regulations, similar requests were
facilitated in the past, in the same way as
for prisoners seeking to pay final respects
to dead relatives.
"These men have not seen their children
for a number of years and in law, though
one is in prison, it is a suspension of one s
liberty pending a judicial hearing and not
meant to violate one s right to family life as
guaranteed by the Constitution of T&T," Ali
Describing the service s refusal in the past
as harsh and punitive, Ali suggested that the
lack of interaction would lead to "far reaching
negative psychological implications for the
development of their children.
"It may serve to make their tenure at the
prison to be less cumbersome and mentally
challenging. What these men seek is in keep-
ing with the best practices and international
standards for incarcerated men," Ali said.
He had not received a response from Stew-
art up to late yesterday and several calls made
to his cellphone went unanswered.
Alexander, who has a four-year-old son,
is on remand for the murders of three mem-
bers of a Brasso Seco family, including a
toddler, who went missing from their home
in October last year.
The bodies of Irma Rampersad, 49; her
14-month old granddaughter Shania
Amoroso; and their next door neighbour
Felix Martinez, 52, were found hidden in
a forest area near their home days later,
before Rampersad s two daughters Felicia,
17, and Jannelle Gonzales, 19, were rescued
Lewis, a father of two, is accused of
murdering his six-year-old stepdaughter
Keyana Cumberbatch in December 2013.
Cumberbatch went missing from her
family s apartment at Maloney Gardens,
D Abadie. Her decomposing body was
found in a shipping barrel at the prop-
erty days later.
Thomas is charged with killing his
16-month-old son, Jacob Munro, in
December 2013. Munroe, who died of
blunt force trauma, was found in a cesspit
behind the family s home in Maracas/St Joseph.
Browne, who has a five-year-old son, has been
on remand since 2010 for the murders of two men
from La Horquetta who were killed earlier that year.
Human trafficking detectives say
they are closing in on the suspects in
a recent case at a suspected brothel in
In a press release issued Friday, the
Counter Trafficking Unit (CTU) of the
Ministry of National Security dispelled
allegations that the case had gone cold
after police last week released a 30-
year-old businessman from Trincity
who was initially detained for question-
Stating its investigators are processing
evidence to advance legal action against
those responsible, the CTU said the
apparent delay was due to the complex
nature of human trafficking investiga-
"Human trafficking investigations
require special skills, expertise and
appreciation of sensitivities in order to
protect the identity of victims of traf-
ficking and to maintain confidentiality
in investigations," the release said.
The CTU said it was unable
to disclose details of its
investigation, as such
would be against its
"operating on a
It also asked
activity to it by
sion Police discov-
ered the operation
on September 23
when they raided a
property along the Eastern
Main Road, Tacarigua, after
receiving several reports of suspicious
Police found four women in the prop-
erty --- two Venezuelans, a Trinidadian
and a 19-year-old Guyanese woman.
The Guyanese teenager was later treated
as a suspect in the trafficking of the
Venezuelan women after they were inter-
viewed by police.
The businessman surrendered to police
days after the bust and was interrogated
for five days before he was released.
In an interview last Friday the man,
who operates a bar in El Dorado, claimed
his only involvement in the case was his
personal relationship with the Guyanese
woman. He also threatened to sue the
police for his detention, saying he had
lost business and may have also lost the
lease to his home during his detention.
While the two Venezuelans remain
under the protection of the CTU, the
Guyanese woman, whose immigration
status in T&T is under investigation,
remains detained at the Immigration
Detention Centre, Aripo.
Four murder accused
want prison visits
case still wide
Links Archive October 5th 2015 October 7th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page