Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 7th 2015 Contents Q o s See your Friday Guardian
for the Answers
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. For most of us, there is at least one person of
whom we are a bit afraid. This might be your
mother, father, guardian, a brother, sister or
teacher and so on. Exactly what is it about that
person that scares you the most? Write a story
that begins with the following line: "I do not
know why I should fear (name this person) but
this particular person absolutely blows my
2 As you get older, sometimes you miss doing
some of the things that you enjoyed when you
were younger. What might be some of these
things? Indeed, if you could remain at one age for
the rest of your life, which age would you want
to be? Write a story that begins with the fol-
lowing line: "Sometimes I just wonder what life
would be if I stayed at (write in the age you
would wish to be)..."
3. Most people love when the weekend arrives. Do
you usually enjoy your weekends? What is the
one (1) special thing that you love to do more
than any other activity? Write a story that be-
gins with the following line: "I enjoy my week-
ends very much and I especially love (name that
one thing that you prefer to do)..."
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Choose one (1) of the given words in brackets
to complete the following sentences.
Either the dates or the venue (have; has) to be
1. Nether my sister nor I (is; am) going to see the
2. One of the boys who (is; are) on the field is my
3. (Is; Are) there a pair of gloves in the drawer?
4. A cake, together with some soft drinks (was;
were) served at the party.
B. Complete each of the following sentences by
placing a tick ( ) within the brackets
Has (any; many) of the guests arrived, as yet?
5. (Several; Much) of the mangoes are ripe.
6. We would like (nobody; somebody) to assist us.
7. Claire has used (most; any) of the eggs in the
8. (Some; Someone) of the children are playing in
C. Underline one (1) of the given words to com-
plete each of the following sentences.
The baby (laid; lay) quietly on his bed.
9. On seeing the hunters, the iguana (sprang;
springed) on to the higher branch and escaped.
10. Jimmy (shaked; shook) the branch as soon as
he reached the top of the cherry tree.
11. Shivanie (worn; wore) a most fashionable dress
at the party.
12. The thief (led; lead) the police to the place
where he had hidden the loot.
D. Write in a suitable word from those given in
the brackets to complete the following sen-
The hiker rigidly held his body to avoid slipping
down the precipice. (loosely; rigidly)
13. We knew that she had gotten the job when we
saw her talking _______________ on the phone.
(loudly ; excitedly)
14. The vase fell on the floor because he had
_________________ put it on the table. (care-
15. Can we walk _______________ ? I don't want to
be the first one in school. (briskly; slowly)
E. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read the sentences well, underline each
error then write only the correction inside the
While jumping down the stairs, Danny's right
foot was slightly injured. (While Danny was
16. At the Sports' Day, the winners received not only
awards but prizes. (__________________)
17. Stephanie wasn't feeling good, this morning so
she stayed at home. (__________________)
18. We'll leave tomorrow at four o'clock p.m. sharp.
19. Neither Thomas nor his friends has decided, as
yet, to participate in the competition.
F. Join each set of sentences by using a suitable
pronoun or conjunction. (Some small changes
may be necessary)
(S1) Danielle is our best netball player. Danielle
practises every day.
(S2) Danielle who is our best netball player,
practises every day.
20. The lifeguard was called to rescue the elderly
man. The elderly man was stranded in the mid-
dle of the ocean.
21. During the weekend, Chrissy and Amalie will at-
tend a show. They have to return home by seven
22. That is our favourite neighbor, Mr. James. We
have enjoyed many delicious mangoes from his
VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. In each of the following sentences there is a
word underlined. Write another word (or
phrase) that can be used in place of the under-
lined word without changing the meaning of
The soldiers stood guard at the front of the
23. After the war concluded, the ordinary citizens
rejoiced and danced in the streets.
24. They had won victory over those who had held
them captives inside their own homes for
25. The businessmen, however, lamented over the
destruction of their properties and looting of
26. Somehow, they knew that the reappearance to
normalcy was going to take a very long time.
Continued on the next page
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, October 7, 2015
Links Archive October 6th 2015 October 8th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page