Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 10th 2015 Contents A13
Saturday, October 10, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
At least two popular San
Fernando businessmen have
been interviewed in the mys-
terious disappearance of Car-
The 43-year-old business-
woman of Cedar Drive, Block
5, Palmiste, has been missing
since September 11, and police
said yesterday that they have
no new leads.
Although the businessmen,
who were said to be Katwaroo s
former lovers, have been inter-
viewed, investigators said they
were not suspects.
Investigators are digging into
her business contacts and are
trying to determine if her gam-
bling hobby had anything to
do with her disappearance.
"We are still doing some
work with all of the agencies
involved and up to yesterday
we had further discussions on
the case to determine where
we have reached. We have no
direct lead but we are doing
some more work," an investi-
Katwaroo, who operates a
business that imports foreign
produce, lives alone after
divorcing her husband some
Three months ago, she was
allegedly attacked and beaten
outside her home.
She was last seen leaving her
home around 8 pm on Sep-
tember 11 and her white Mer-
cedes Benz sedan was found
abandoned on the roadside in
Union Hall, San Fernando, the
It was sent for forensic test-
ing. Calls to her cellphone
since then have gone to voice-
Waiting for data on Kirby
continue into the disappear-
ance of missing costume
designer Kirby Mohammed
with investigators still awaiting
forensic reports from foreign
labs. Other data collected from
banks and telephone compa-
nies are still being analysed
and investigators said their
case file was already 600 pages
Mohammed, 47, is a director
at his family-owned Trinzuela
Technical & Vocational College
in San Fernando, a costume
designer with Carnival band
Trini Revellers and an interior
He was last seen outside his
St Joseph Village, San Fernan-
do, home on February 28. He
left home for Port-of-Spain to
buy supplies for costumes he
was contracted to design for
upcoming carnivals in the
Bahamas, Grenada and Miami.
He was expected to join his
mother Linda Mohammed at
8 pm that night to attend the
annual World Laugh Festival
at the Naparima Bowl, but
never showed up.
Days later, police were tipped
off that his white Nissan AD
Wagon, registered PDC 5152,
was seen driving through Mal-
oney, in East Trinidad, but the
driver could not be identified.
This led to a search in several
other areas in East Trinidad.
A Gasparillo couple seen
with Mohammed in his car the
night he disappeared, was
questioned by police but
charges were never laid.
Speculation as to his death
arose when the decomposing
body of an Indo Trinidadian
man was found down a
precipice off the North Coast
Road, Maracas, on March 17,
following which Eastern Divi-
sion police questioned a Toco
man concerning Mohammed s
disappearance. It turned out
to be someone else.
Since then his relatives have
been pleading for his return,
whatever the circumstances.
Anyone with information on
any of the missing people is
asked to contact the nearest
police station, or call 290-
9390, 290-4681 or Crime
Stoppers at 800-TIPS.
Four people, including a 12-
year-old girl, charged with traf-
ficking over $200,000 in mar-
ijuana, were granted bail
totalling $260,000 when they
appeared in court on Thurs-
Joel Osborne, 34, his com-
mon-law wife Lydia Belliel, 35,
formerly of Chaguanas, the 12-
year-old, of Grande Riviere,
Marlon Brown, 34, of Champs
Fleurs and Yihla Lacario, 21, of
Cox Street, Monte Video,
appeared before Justice of the
Peace Annmarie John, in the
Sangre Grande First Court.
Lacario was charged with
possession of marijuana and
granted $15,000 bail with sure-
ty.On Tuesday, police officers
arrested the five in separate raids
along the North East coast.
Osborne, Belliel, Brown, and
the child were all charged with
possession of marijuana for the
purpose of trafficking. They
were granted bail by JP John.
The three adults were each
granted $75,000 bail to be
approved by a Clerk of the
The 12-year-old was released
into her aunt s custody on
The charges were laid by PCs
Blake, Manley and Smith.
Osborne, Belliel and the 12-
year-old were ordered to return
to court on October 13.
Brown s and Lacario s next
court appearance has been set
for November 5.
A Debe man was placed on $50,000 bail yes-
terday on a charge of maliciously wounding his
Rishi Gayapersad, 29, of Debe Trace, Debe,
appeared before Magistrate Margaret Alert in the
San Fernando Magistrates Court charged with
the offence yesterday.
Gayapersad first appeared in court before
Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark Wellington on
Monday, but was remanded for tracing. Yesterday,
when his matter was called again, he pleaded
with Alert for bail.
According to the charge against him, on October
4, 2015, he allegedly maliciously wounded Selwyn
Sookdeo with a cutlass at Debe Trace, Debe.
When Gayapersad appeared before Wellington
on Monday, he had pleaded not guilty and told
the court he was attacked and had retaliated. He
was charged by PC Mahabir.
However, court prosecutor Sgt Krishna Bedassie
objected to bail yesterday, stating Gayapersad was
accused of committing this offence while on bail
for a another matter, as his court records showed
he had five pending matters.
But Gayapersad denied this, saying all the mat-
ters against him had already been dismissed.
Alert agreed to give him bail and asked his
uncle, Jaipersad Bishram, who was in court, to
stand surety. Bishram agreed and Alert put
Gayapersad on $50,000 bail. The matter was
then adjourned to November 6.
A La Romaine man was sentenced to nine
months in jail yesterday for smashing two glass
panes valued at $36,000.
Joel Walcott, 35, of Sunset Crescent, pleaded
guilty to the charge of malicious damage when
he appeared before Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark
Wellington in the San Fernando Magistrates Court,
According to the charges read by court pros-
ecutor, Cleyon Seedan, around 7.35 am on April
7, Walcott went to Arifa Street, Gulf View, where
Cowboy Collision Centre is located. When he got
there, he met the centre s owner, Ricardo Karim,
and had an argument with him. During the argu-
ment, Walcott picked up a stone from the roadway
and hurled it at the building, smashing two glass
Karim made a report to the San Fernando Police
and PC Mahabir began investigations.
On August 1, Mahabir met Walcott at the San
Fernando CID office and told him of the reports
against him, to which Walcott remained silent.
Mahabir then arrested and charged him for the
In court yesterday, Walcott s mother asked
Wellington to send her son for evaluation at St
Ann s Hospital, but after speaking to Walcott,
Wellington denied the request.
Wellington asked him why he broke the glass
and Walcott responded, "I just do it out of vex-
ation. I didn t do it to damage anybody or any-
Walcott also said that on the same day at Arifa
Street, someone hit him with a piece of iron and
broke his leg. Before passing sentence, Wellington
listed Walcott s previous offences, which include
malicious damage, breach of a protection order,
marijuana and cocaine possession.
Wellington denied his request and sentenced
him to nine months in prison. (SR)
Glass smasher gets
nine months in jail
Girl, 12, among 5 on drug charges
Police officers examine some of the illegal drugs, seized last Tuesday, at the Sangre Grande Police
Station. PHOTO: RALPH BANWARIE
Police dig deeper in hunt
for missing businesswoman
Links Archive October 9th 2015 October 11th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page