Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 17th 2015 Contents A5
Saturday, October 17, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
INTRODUCING THE HONDA OEM*
$1.00 Per Litre/CNG
*ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER.
3 YEARS HONDA WARRANTY
TEST DRIVE ONE TODAY!
Port of Spain: 624-3714 • 625-2277
San Fernando: 657-2277 (CARS)
Chaguanas: 672-0991 • 671-3913
Tobago 639-2277 (CARS)
Aftermath of nurse's rape; staff, PSA demand
President of the T&T Registered
Nurses Association (TTRNA) Gwen-
dolyn Loobie-Snaggs is demanding
the removal of the security firm,
SWAT estate police, from the com-
pound of the St James Medical Com-
plex following the alleged physical
and sexual assault of a nurse by a
20-year-old security guard.
The nurse told police she was about
to enter her vehicle upon the com-
pletion of her shift when she was
reportedly attacked by a security
guard who also worked at the facil-
ity.The incident reportedly took place
around 5.30 pm on Wednesday.
Loobie-Snaggs said for far too long
security has been a problem adding,
"It is time that things be done. Are
they going to wait until somebody is
Loobie-Snaggs who also visited
the facility yesterday said a "more
competent" security firm must be
put in place and urged that security
officers must not only be obligated
to secure plant and machinery but
also look after personnel in a profes-
sional and respectful manner.
She said she also spoke to the vic-
tim who was very traumatised.
"She is a sister in the nursing fra-
ternity and we are all very upset about
what happened and we do not want
such an incident happening again,"
President of the Public Services
Association (PSA) Watson Duke also
echoed Loobie-Snaggs' sentiments
that the security firm must be
Duke also claimed there were no
proper screening methods for the
selection of security officers saying,
"These security firms are taking in
anybody...any foreigner...any john-
ny-come-lately. We don't want any
long meeting with them. Get rid of
SWAT," Duke demanded.
The incident has also created fears
among staff at the facility as many
of them yesterday said they were
afraid for their safety.
One nurse, who did not want to
be identified, said in the past items
have been stolen from the facility
including a television.
Another employee said the alleged
rape was "bound to happen" as cries
for improved security have gone
unheeded for far too long.
Contacted yesterday, an official
from SWAT confirmed that a com-
plaint had been made against one of
its officers and that an internal and
external investigation was ongoing.
Sack security company
A National Heliport Services
Ltd (NHSL) accountant was a
member of a 2014 tender com-
mittee that approved a $500 mil-
lion contract for Bell Helicopter
to provide four helicopters and
the construction of a hangar.
Bell Helicopter, a Fort Worth,
Texas, US, company founded in
1935, specialising in the design
and production of fighter aircraft,
was chosen by the committee out
of a shortlist of two---the other
being a UK helicopter firm, Euro-
Bell, which fit all the criteria,
got the nod after it tendered $12
million less than Eurocopter.
The disclosures were made by
former national security minister
Gary Griffith, who served under
the last administration, in
response to statements made in
Parliament by Prime Minister Dr
Rowley described it as a dubi-
ous contract the NHSL refused
to be involved with.
Griffith, denying this, said the
NHSL was involved in the con-
tract and Rowley might not have
been properly briefed on the
details of the transaction.
He said the tender committee
that approved the tender included
NOC personnel, external legal
counsel and a NHSL accountant.
He said the then finance min-
ister tendered to financial insti-
tutions to bid on a loan to finance
the transaction and was able to
secure an $81 million loan from
"The Office of the Prime Min-
ister wrote the NHSL instructing
them to finalise the loan.
"The tender procedures were
all done and approved by the per-
manent secretary in the ministry
"Cabinet Note 1002 states that
the National Security Council
agreed that the purchase of the
helicopters will be done through
the NHSL and the loan will be
guaranteed by the government.
"The contract was signed in
March 2015 with Bell for the
delivery of the helicopters and
the building of the hangars," Grif-
The T&T Guardian was unable
to get confirmation from NHSL.
An employee transferred us to
the general manager who he said
was the best person to talk to.
But there was no answer from
that extension, even after repeated
Efforts to reach National Secu-
rity Minister retired Major General
Edmund Dillon were also fruitless.
Dillon's cell phone remained
Griffith, giving details of the
Bell contract, said the then
national security ministry was
not involved in the tender
arrangements, which were han-
dled by the Office of the Prime
Minister (OPM), but he was well
aware of what went on.
He said the National Operations
Centre (NOC) gave the OPM the
go ahead to purchase the four
helicopters because they were
needed in assisting with national
Health Minister Terrence
Deyalsingh, in a press release
yesterday, described the incident
He said he had spoken with
staff and expressed "deep
concern" and also offered his
The minister said he has also
been in communication with the
chairman of the North West
Regional Health Authority
(NWRHA), Dr Andy Bhagwandass,
who gave the assurance that the
authority was providing all the
necessary support to the victim,
family members and other
members of staff.
"The NWRHA is reviewing its
systems to ensure the continued
safety of staff members, patients
and all users of the facility, and is
working closely with the Police
Service to bring this matter to a
quick conclusion," Deyalsingh said.
He said he also spoke to Duke
and was expected to meet with
him early next week.
Regarding the removal of
SWAT, Deyalsingh said the
authority was conducting
investigations into the matter
which would include a review of
the security systems.
The 20-year-old security
guard held for raping a nurse
at the St James Medical
Complex on Wednesday is
expected to appear in court on
Investigators were unable to
complete an identification
parade yesterday. The suspect
remained detained at the St
James Police Station up to late
yesterday. The T&T Guardian
understands that the suspect
may also be placed on parades
before other recent victims of
rape in the division as they
believe that Wednesday's
attack may not be his first.
Insp Henry Dann and WPCs
Kerr and Phillip are continuing
SUSPECT IN CUSTODY
No bobol in helicopter deal---Griffith
The tender arrangements for
another $500 million contract
with Chinese firm, Huawei
Technologies Ltd, for the
implementation of the Safe City
System, was done at the Office
of the Prime Minister in March
Griffith said he was also aware
of that contract and claimed
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley
was again not properly briefed on
Rowley, in his budget
presentation, said this was
"another troubling matter".
He added, "I am told that this
Chinese company is putting in
some system which will allow us,
electronically, to look on
television screens over the whole
Rowley said he was concerned
about "a security breach to our
Griffith, denying there was any
security breach due to the CCTV
system, which was set up at the
NOC, said, "The NOC has no
access to intercept or spy."
$500M CCTV TENDER
Links Archive October 16th 2015 October 18th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page