Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 21st 2015 Contents Q o s See your Friday Guardian
for the Answers
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. Suppose: Recently, you told a terrible lie to your
parent or your guardian. It was only afterwards
that you realized what you had done and regret-
ted it. Write a letter of apology to this person,
describing the lie , and giving him/her some rea-
sons why you told the lie in the first place .Say,
as well, in the letter, why you think that it was a
terrible thing to do.
2 Most of you have a quiet place that you use
when you wish to be by yourself and to enjoy
some peace amidst the outside noises. What is
your favorite "quiet place" and why do you enjoy
going there? Write a story that begins with the
following words: "It's good to enjoy some peace
and be quiet, sometimes..."
3. Most times, after you do our schoolwork or
homework you really may not have the time to
exercise? Do you think that it's important to do
some kind of exercise even though you have to
study a lot? How would this benefit you? Write
a letter to a close friend/ relative describing why
you think that it's important to find time to exer-
cise even though you may have much school/
home work to do.
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Underline the Subject in each of the following
In the mall, many people were shopping in the
1. Yesterday, our friends, Alex and Candace came
to play with us.
2. Gail, together with Denise and Faye were seated
in the porch.
3. Will Peter and Aaron accompany Mummy to the
4. Is the secondary school located on the main road
in the town?
B. Choose one (1) of the given words that will de-
scribe each of the following underlined verbs.
The energetic monkey nimbly swung from one
corner of the cage to the other. (painfully; nim-
5. Jerry listened ______________ to the important
instructions. (carelessly; attentively)
6. Our netball captain _________________ accepted
the award for the team's victory. (joyfully; reluc-
7. The man _____________ carried the large glass
pane across the street. (quickly; nervously)
8. After an extremely long walk, the hikers
______________ sat down for a rest. (wearily;
C. Rewrite each sentence in its correct form.
(S1) While strolling across the street, a car
suddenly sped in front of me.
(S2) While I was strolling across the street, a car
suddenly sped in front of me.
9. David packed the football gear into the cupboard
which he had just bought.
10. The manager decided to postpone the match to
complete the finals as a wise decision.
11. It is always better, if you want to perform well, to
D. Write Noun, Adj. (Adjective) or Prep. (Preposi-
tion) to describe each of the following under-
There are three bags of ripe plums on the table.
12. Peter is six centimetres taller than his brother,
13. On weekends, we like to run around the sa-
14. The graduates received many beautiful prizes
for their school work. (______________)
15. We think that our neighbor, Mr. Phillip is a most
generous person. (______________)
E. Write the following sentences in their simpler
(S1) As we entered the room we saw our two
(S2) On entering the room, we saw our two
16. Last week, we visited the place where our father
17. A man who is kind always has many good
18. We usually awake when the sun rises.
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Underline the error then write only the
correction within the brackets.
If we had known only that you were leaving at
nine a.m., we would have come earlier. ('only
known') - incorrect placing of the Adverb
19. One of the six mangoes that was in the bag is
now fully ripe. (______________)
20. The monkey, as well as the other animals are
sleeping in their cages. (______________)
21. The competitors had to run, swim and cycled to
complete the race. (______________)
22. Saran shared the cookies among Carla and me.
VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. In each of the following sentences there is a
word that is underlined. For each underlined
word write EITHER another word OR a phrase
that is SIMILAR in meaning.
23. The month of October is often designated
"Teachers' Month" in many countries.
24. There were more scholarship winners this year
based on the CAPE outcomes.
25. The members of the pack corner their prey and
take turns to attack.
Continued on the next page
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, October 21, 2015
Links Archive October 20th 2015 October 22nd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page