Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 7th 2015 Contents A17
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
Greenpeace says its charitable
registration to operate in India has been
The environmental campaign group says
that the decision effectively shuts it down
The government of Narendra Modi has
previously accused Greenpeace of flouting
tax laws and having an anti-development
The pressure group has been working in
India for 14 years and employs more than
Modi's government has been accused of
a major crackdown on NGOs and charitable
groups ever since he came to power in
Greenpeace says it plans to challenge
this latest decision. It follows a ruling that
the organisation could not raise money
abroad - which was itself successfully
Interim Executive Director Vinuta Gopal
said in a statement: "We are confident that
we are on strong legal ground. We have
faith in the legal process and are confident
of overcoming this order."
Greenpeace loses Indian registration
UK investigators looking at what caused a Russian
airliner to crash in Egypt believe a bomb was put
in the hold prior to take-off, the BBC has learned.
The British government suspended all flights to
and from the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh
two days ago.
It had received intelligence based on intercepted
communications between militants in the Sinai Penin-
The speed with which the British government
pointed to terrorism as the possible cause of the
downing of the Russian Airbus over the Sinai Peninsula
has not gone down well in either Cairo or Moscow.
As the investigation into the crashed airliner con-
tinues, BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner
says that although British officials have not ruled
out a technical fault, they think that is increasingly
Security service investigators suspect someone
with access to the aircraft s baggage compartment
inserted an explosive device inside or on top of the
luggage just before the plane took off.
A new tropical cyclone is heading for Yemen
three days after a storm dumped several years
worth of rain on the port city of Mukalla, the UN
World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said
"As far as WMO is aware, it is unprecedented to
have back-to-back cyclones in this part of the Arabian
Gulf in the space of a week," the Geneva-based UN
weather agency said in a statement.
The freak back-to-back storms are caused by the
"Indian Ocean dipole," a weather phenomenon similar
to a regional El Nino, caused when surface sea tem-
peratures are higher than normal.
Myanmar labourers work near piles of bananas for
sale at Kyi Myin Daing jetty, the banana and
coconut wholesale market near Yangon river, in
Yangon, Myanmar, Thursday. EPA PHOTO
MARIANA---Rescuers yesterday spirited sur-
vivors out of a mountainous area of southeast-
ern Brazil that was flooded with a sea of viscous,
clay-red mud after two dams burst at an iron
ore mine. Officials said two people were killed,
four were injured and 13 were missing.
The rupture unleashed a mix of water and
mining residue on a village seven kilometres
downhill, smothering the enclave of Bento
Rodrigues. Only about 10 of the village s around
200 houses were left standing, and cars and other
objects were tossed by what survivors described
as an eruption of mud.
Residents said no alarms sounded to warn
them about the dam break Thursday afternoon,
but they scrambled for higher ground after hearing
a deafening burst.
Officials have not said what caused the breach.
Two people died and another 13 missing. About
100 of the nearly 600 people thought to live in
the area have yet to be accounted for.
O Globo newspaper quoted state fire official
Vinicius Teixeira as saying rescue work was made
difficult by the still wet, quicksand-like mud.
"Whoever steps on it runs a great risk of sinking
and drowning in this mud," he said, adding that
it reached roof-level in some areas. "There is a
risk of bodies not being found."
Authorities initially said only one dam had
burst at the mine roughly 20 kilometres from
Mariana, a city of about 40,000 residents. But
in a video posted later on the Facebook page of
mine operator Samarco, company president Ricar-
do Vescovi said two dams at the facility had
A statue dedicated to the South Korean music
hit Gangnam Style is to be unveiled in the Seoul
district made famous by the song.
The metal sculpture will show two fists over-
lapped in the style of the song s "horse-riding"
It will be erected outside the COEX shopping
centre, where part of the video was filmed.
Gangnam Style was released by South Korean
singer Psy in 2012 and remains the most-watched
YouTube video ever.
It has been viewed more than 2.4 billion times.
Gangnam tourism director Park Hee-Soo said
he hoped the statue would "become a landmark
for our district."
"Tourists can take pictures under the statue
and the song will play automatically when you
stand there," he added.
backed candidate Jovenel Moise and
former state construction chief Jude
Celestin appear to be advancing to a
runoff election for Haiti s presidency,
according to preliminary results
The much-anticipated results from
the 54-candidate first round presidential
contest on October 25 were issued by
Pierre Louis Opont, the leader of the
Provisional Electoral Council. Since no
candidate won a majority in that ballot,
the two top finishers are set to meet
in a December 27 runoff.
Seven of the council s nine members
signed off on the preliminary results,
indicating that there was not unani-
mous agreement with the tally. An
appeals period will follow the
announcement and officials say certified
results are expected in late November
or early December.
Moise, handpicked by outgoing Pres-
ident Michel Martelly to be his suc-
cessor, greeted applauding partisans
gathered at a fancy hotel in Petionville,
not far from the electoral council head-
quarters. Looking into TV cameras, the
top vote getter told Haitians they were
backing the right man.
The candidate who placed third in
the official tally with 14.2 per cent, for-
mer senator Moise Jean-Charles, has
asserted in recent days that he won
half of Haiti s 10 departments. Last
week, he insisted that partially burned
ballots checked with his name were
found by his backers in Port-au-Prince
and numerous ballots supporting his
bid had gone missing elsewhere.
But tyre barricades were already
burning in a few spots of Port-au-
Prince and Associated Press journalists
saw one dead body on a street in the
neighbourhood of Delmas 33.
Firefighters who arrived to douse the
flaming barricades were pelted with a
few rocks, but managed to put out the
flames. One furious partisan screamed
at them: "You won t have enough water
to put out all the fires tomorrow!"
The top two finishers announced in
preliminary results don t always make
it to a runoff in Haiti. During the last
election, disputed preliminary results
showed Celestin edging out Martelly
for one of two spots in a runoff ballot,
but under international pressure Haiti s
electoral authorities reviewed the count
and eliminated Celestin from the race.
Iron mine dam
statue built in
Haiti names two for
National policemen hold their guns as they secure the area of a protest by
supporters of Presidential candidate Moise Jean-Charles against official
results just announced by the Electoral Council in the neighborhood of Delmas
33, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Thursday. AP PHOTO
bomb was in hold
Second freak storm
heads for Yemen
Links Archive November 6th 2015 November 8th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page