Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 11th 2015 Contents Q o s See your Friday Guardian
for the Answers
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. Soon, your Christmas vacation will be here and
so even now, you are probably thinking about
how you'll be spending it. Suppose: You could
plan to enjoy this Christmas holiday anyway you
wish, what would be some of the more impor-
tant things that you will definitely want to do.
Write a story that begins with the following
line: "I do not usually get the chance to plan my
own vacation and so this time, I intend to make
the most of it...."
2. Many of us own pets and we love taking care of
them, playing with them and so on. Have you
ever thought about the things that your pets can
teach you? Some of us learn to be patient, to
relax, to accept responsibility while caring for our
pet. Write an account that begins with the fol-
lowing line: "You can learn so many valuable
things by taking care of your pet/s...."
3. Most of us enjoy spending Christmas. Would you
say that Christmas is a popular time of the year?
Are there some things about Christmas that you
like and others that you just do not care to have?
Write a letter to a close friend, giving, in some
detail, at least two reasons why you think that
Christmas in Trinidad is a special and popular oc-
casion and two others in which you describe
what you do not like about this event.
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Replace each underlined word or phrase with a
John (He) lent his bicycle (it) to his friend, Frank.
1. Our baby sister (_____________) plays some
games (_____________) every day.
2. David (_____________) will take Denise and me
(_____________) to see our aunt, soon.
3. Shivonne and her family (_____________) will
visit Charlotteville, (_____________) next week.
4. Mummy and I (____________) will assist our
neighbour, Mrs. Lewis (___________) tomorrow.
B. Name the part of Speech of each underlined
If only you had informed me before, I would have
assisted you. (Conjunction)
5. Most of the mangoes are ripe.
6. Many admire him for his generosity.
7. Our grandparents prepared for us some roasted
corn, yesterday. (__________________)
8. If you look carefully, above, you'll see a most
beautiful cloud pattern. (__________________)
C. Write in the correct form of each word, on the
left, to complete the following sentences.
Sammy completed his homework
in the quickest time, yesterday.
This crop of cassava was indeed
______________ than the farmer
reaped last year.
10. EXQUISITE Sally wore a ______________ dress
for her twenty first birthday party.
Their fans are hoping that the
West Indies cricket team gives a
much ______________ performance
in their next match.
12. DIFFICULT We had done many practice
exercises, but this problem was
certainly ______________ one that
we had ever experienced.
D. Tick ( ) one (1) of the words inside the
brackets to complete each of the following
The Prncipal (commented; commended) the
school team for winning the football champi-
13. Mr. Joseph sent a (personal; personnel) letter to
14. The (assent; ascent) to the mountain top was
15. The lifeguards had warned the bathers about
the strong (currents; currants) out in the deeper
16. You'll reach your destination if you go (passed;
past) that next corner.
E. Use a suitable form of each given word to com-
plete the following sentences. (Use the hint
given at the end of each sentence)
abundant There was an abundance of fruits at
the market. (Noun)
17. custom It was ___________ for the workers to
wear casual clothes every Friday.
18. hand As a vet, Sheldon could ____________
dogs quite confidently. (Verb)
19. prove The police have closed the case
because they have sufficient
___________ about the crime. (Noun)
F. The following sentences each contain an error.
Read each sentence well, underline the error,
then write only the correction in the brackets
She and me are close friends. ( I ) -- A subject
pronoun is needed, here.
20. The driver was find two hundred dollars for ille-
gal parking. (__________________)
21. Savi asked her friend if she could sit besides her
during the movie. (__________________)
22. Darryl is the onliest player who can help us to
win this important match. (__________________)
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, November 11, 2015
VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. In each of the following sentences there is a
word that is underlined. For each underlined
word write EITHER another word or a phrase
that is SIMILAR in meaning.
23. Marc did not go with us on the hike over the
mountain because he is fearful of heights.
24. Father he said he would consent to us going to
the party only if an adult accompanied us.
B. In each of the following sentences there is a
word that is underlined. Write either another
word or a phrase that is OPPOSITE in meaning
to the underlined word in each of the sen-
25. The class prefect prepared a list of the names of
students who were present at assembly this
26. Whether the sun shines or the rain falls, the
postman always delivers the mail on time.
C. In the spaces below, write the APPROPRIATE
VERB FORM of the word in CAPITAL LETTERS
to correctly complete EACH sentence.
Remember to spell correctly.
27. EXPLAIN Our class teacher did not accept
Joe's ______________ for being late.
28. PEACE We were unable to _______________
the angry boy.
Continued on the next page
Links Archive November 10th 2015 November 12th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page