Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 12th 2015 Contents A5
Thursday, November 12, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
INTRODUCING THE HONDA OEM*
$1.00 Per Litre/CNG
* ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER.
3 YEARS HONDA WARRANTY
TEST DRIVE ONE TODAY!
Port of Spain: 624-3714 • 625-2277
San Fernando: 657-2277 (CARS)
Chaguanas: 672-0991 • 671-3913
Tobago 639-2277 (CARS)
Several major cases that grabbed
headlines over the last year have been
completed and sent to the Director of
Public Prosecutions (DPP) for con-
sultation, following which instructions
will be given to the police as to
whether charges will be laid.
Among those were allegations of
misappropriating money out of the
Children s Life Fund.
Making the statement was Deputy
Police Commissioner in charge of
Crime, Glen Hackett, during yesterday s
weekly press briefing at the Police
Administration Building, Port-of-Spain.
Hackett, who tabled some 14 matters
to members of the media, said inves-
tigations into other cases were expected
to be completed before the end of this
month. He said a file compiled by Fraud
Squad investigators regarding the Chil-
dren s Life Fund probe had been sub-
mitted to the DPP.
"We are now seeking advice and this
advice will now formalise the way for-
ward with respect to this matter. So I
expect that in the near future we should
have some successful culmination,"
On the controversial wrecked fire
truck that cost taxpayers $6.8 million
to retrieve, he said officers had been
working closely with the DPP and a
"successful culmination" was expected
in the near future.
On November 17, 2012, fire tender
No 504 slipped 150 metres off the road-
way in Blanchisseuse and had to be
retrieved from the precipice.
The vehicle was purchased in Feb-
ruary, 2006, for $2.2 million. Following
the accident which occurred seven years
later from the date of purchase, it was
retrieved for $6.8 million.
The recommendation was made by
the Chief Fire Officer and brought to
the Cabinet for approval by the then
minister of national security Jack Warn-
er. Some 20 months after the death of
baby Simeon Cottle, the case has now
The baby died when his head was
sliced open during a caesarean section
at the Mt Hope Maternity Hospital in
Hackett said the Police Service had
received two independent opinions of
"highly competent" obstetricians and
gynaecologists and the file was to be
presented to the DPP to seek advice.
He said the process was expected to
be completed before the end of the
Asked why some of these matters
took so long to be completed and some
have not yet been completed, Hackett
said the information, including docu-
ments, had not been forthcoming.
He said in conducting the probes the
police had to look at the level of thor-
oughness which included not only lay-
ing charges but ensuring there was suf-
ficient evidence when the case was
Scores of people on social media yes-
terday called on the police to investigate
a claim by a boy he was sexually assault-
ed by two men at a house along the
The boy made the claim in a short
video which was posted online which
In the video, the boy seems to be sitting
on a stool at Independence Square, Port-
of-Spain, and calls the names of his
He also gave a description of his
assailants down to the shoes they were
wearing. Neither the boy s age nor if any
of his relatives were aware of the attack
at the time the video was made could be
determined by the short clip.
But social media users yesterday
expressed outrage and disgust over the
video and the person who made it, noting
that individuals may have known the boy s
Contacted on the issue, Assistant Police
Commissioner Carlton Alleyne called for
relatives of the boy to come forward and
make a report.
In a brief telephone interview yesterday,
Alleyne said: "He can t give consent at
that age to have sexual interaction. If his
parents are aware they should make a
report and investigate the matter.
"On what information they have they
should get involved and do something. It
is wrong if they are interfereing with a
"That can t be right and can be put
right by persons if they are aware and let
them report it to the police and do an
Also contacted yesterday, public edu-
cation and communications manager of
the Children s Authority, Cheryl Moses-
Williams, said she was not aware of the
video and asked for a copy.
However, in a press release yesterday
evening the authority said it found the
content of videos circulating on social
media involving children very disturbing.
It said once videos were brought to its
attention it would contact the Child Pro-
tection Unit of the Police Service to con-
duct investigations and put its own emer-
gency response team on standby to
support the police.
It added that if it was determined the
children involved in the videos were in
need of care and protection, the authority
The authority also reminded the public
that child protection was everybody s
business and urged the public to report
videos of child abuse to the police.
DPP to decide on
Police wrap up major probes
Boy claims sex
assault by 2 men
in online video
Acting Deputy Commissioner of Police Crime and Support Glen Hackett and head
of corporate communications for the TTPS, Ellen Lewis, after the weekly police
press briefing at the Police Administration Building, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.
PHOTO: NICOLE DRAYTON
On the Emailgate issue
Hackett said the police had
received information pertaining
to two outstanding accounts but
described one as "voluminous in
"Our IT persons are currently
scrutinising the contents of the
accounts," Hackett said, adding
that when that process was
completed the police would seek
advice from the DPP.
Regarding the prison break on
July 24, which resulted in the
shooting death of Constable
Sherman Maynard, 27, Hackett
said a team of investigators, led
by the Homicide Investigations
Bureau, has been assigned the
probe and 154 people have been
interviewed and statements
"We have also made progress
with the technological aspects of
this investigation and I have been
given the assurance that this
investigation will be completed
before December 31, 2015,"
Allan "Scanny" Martin, one of
the accused in the Vindra
Naipaul-Coolman murder, was
killed during the brazen midday
escape as he and Christopher
"Monster" Selby and Hassan
Atwell, shot their way out of the
Port-of-Spain prison on Frederick
Atwell was found dead just
before Selby had turned himself
in. On the murder of prisons
superintendent David Millette, he
said this investigation was also
Regarding claims of fraud at St
Michael's Home for Boys in Diego
Martin, Hackett said the matter,
which was also headed by the
Fraud Squad, was also not yet
completed, adding that he could
not give a definite date when it
would be completed.
"This is because the
investigation has not yet reached
a stage where I can reasonably
predict the end of the
investigation," Hackett added.
Investigations of alleged
contract irregularities between
Petrotrin and Mexican shipping
firm Maritima de Ecologia SA de
CV (Maritima) is also continuing.
Hackett said while several
documents had been obtained it
was still too premature to give an
estimated time of completion.
He also assured that the
investigation into the alleged
discovery of marijuana at the
private residence of former prime
minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar
two years ago would also be
completed before the end of this
Hackett said acting ACP
Ainsley Garrick, who is heading
the probe, had said two key
people, through their attorneys,
had recently submitted
Prisongate soon to be decided
The Prisongate matter which
had commenced under retired
ACP Donald Denoon has reached
a "critical juncture" and was
expected to be completed soon.
The Prisongate matter arose
following a ruling in the Jamal
Sambury assault claim against
the State to warrant a criminal
investigation of conspiracy to
pervert the course of public
justice and conspiracy to defraud
Hackett said ACP Vincel
Edwards was now heading the
probe and several people had
already been interviewed.
"The investigation has reached
a critical juncture and the
investigators are now poised to
take decisive action.
"However, they would first
consult with the DPP and I
expect this investigation would
be completed before the end of
2015," Hackett said.
Former Solicitor General
resigned after she raised the
issue with then prime minister
Kamla Persad-Bissessar, who in
turn referred the matter to then
attorney general Anand
Ramlogan, for determination.
The allegations surround
bogus civil claims filed by
prisoners and the settlement of
same for significant sums of
money paid out by the State.
Forensic firm for Life Sport
Regarding allegations of
corruption and other wrongdoing
of the controversial Life Sport
programme, which allegedly
siphoned over $400 million to
criminal gangs, Hackett said
while the police had made steady
progress, the "greatest
challenge" was the collection of
"This was against a backdrop
of inefficient record-keeping
"However, we have to date in
our possession approximately 98
per cent of all the relevant
documents and at this time we
have initiated the requisite
process towards engaging the
services of a reputable
accounting firm to undertaking a
forensic exercise to further
advance our investigation,"
He said the police was also in
constant consultation with the
DPP regarding the matter.
Former Life Sport director,
Ruth Marchan, Hackett said, was
never a State witness nor was
she ever in protective custody.
"Ruth Marchan was a pivotal
figure with respect to activities
that took place at Life Sport and
as such she will be interviewed.
She was interviewed in the past
with respect to another matter.
"She has not been fully
interviewed with respect to Life
Sport," Hackett added.
Earlier this year Marchan was
arrested in Florida and charged
PROBES TO BE COMPLETED
Links Archive November 11th 2015 November 13th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page