Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 18th 2015 Contents Q o s See your Friday Guardian
for the Answers
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. Many children have talents such as the ability to
draw, to play a musical instrument, to play a par-
ticular game quite well and so on. Do you have
such a talent? Do you wish that you had a spe-
cial talent and so, what would it be? Write a let-
ter to a close friend naming a particular talent
that you wished you had and saying, in some de-
tail, why you would like to have such a talent.
2. Sometimes, we see something that is extremely
strange. Has this ever happened to you? What
was so unusual about this experience? Write a
story that begins with thefollowing line:
"Never, in my life have I ever observed something
as strange as this...."
3. Some persons believe that people spend far too
much money for the christmas season. Do you
believe that too much money is spent at Christ-
mas time? In what ways, do you think, money is
wasted as well as wisely spent at this time of
the year? Write an argument to your class,
agreeing with either the statement "Money is
well spent at Christmas time" or the other view
that "Too much money is definitely wasted dur-
ing the Christmas season".
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Circle one of the words in the brackets to com-
plete each sentence correctly.
(Several ; Any) of the plums are ripe.
1. She is (someone ; nobody) whom you can easily
2. The problem was so difficult that (no one ;
many) could solve it.
3. (Many ; most) of the flour was used in the
4. (None ; Several) of the guests were already
B. Change the following underlined words/
phrases into their longer forms.
I hope that I'd (I would) be able to attend the
5. She won't (__________________) tell us unless
we ask her.
6. They're (__________________) happy that we
will be visiting, soon.
7. Why couldn't you (__________________) visit us
8. We are not too sure whether he'd
(________________) be able to assist you, today.
C. Write "Prep." (Preposition) or "Adv." (Adverb)
to describe each of the following underlined
(S1) Looking up, they saw a most unusual
aircraft in the sky. (Adv.)
(S2) The hikers climbed up the hill to reach their
9. The campers looked around but saw no one.
10. "Run down the road and buy some bread,
please," Mummy told Andrew.
11. The passenger on the ship remained below dur-
ing the storm. (__________________)
12. Walking around the beautiful grounds was most
D. Supply, in each blank, a suitable form of each
word on the left to complete the following sen-
RING The lunch bell had rung promptly at
13. SHAKE Dennis and the other boys
_____________ the tree vigorously so
that the ripe fruit could fall.
14. STING The farmer was accidentally
_____________ by a bee.
15. TEAR The vicious wind had ______________
the wooden. wall of the building.
16. KNOW ______________ her has been a most
E. Complete each of the following sentences by
ticking off a suitable answer from those given
within the brackets.
All of the fruits except one (has ; have) been
17. Neither Jerome or Steve and Andy (was ; were)
chosen on our cricket team.
18. Ice cream along with doughnuts (is ; are) being
shared among the children.
19. Neither my friends nor I (has ; have) ever visited
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read each sentence well, underline the
error, then write only the correction within the
All the dogs were playing with each other.
("one" another -- to refer to more than two)
20. Don't you think that there were over three hun-
dred people at the beach, yesterday?
21. Being that you have arrived early, we can cer-
tainly go to the show, together.
22. Your corporation in solving this problem will be
always welcome. (__________________)
VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. In each of the following sentences there is a
word that is underlined. For each underlined
word write either another word or a phrase
that is similar in meaning in the space provided
after each sentence.
23. The lifeguard reacted swiftly when the toddler
fell into the pool.
24. Over the years, I have amassed quite a lot of un-
wanted items in my bedroom.
B. In the spaces below, write the appropriate
form of the word in CAPITAL LETTERS to cor-
rectly complete each sentence.
Remember to spell correctly.
25. ANNUAL Our club's treasurer prepares and
presents a budget ______________.
The porter ______________ lifted the
two heavy bags.
C. In each of the following sentences there is a
word spelled incorrectly. Underline the mis-
spelled word and then write the correct
spelling for each word on the space provided
after each sentence.
27. The seamstress had to altar the hem in my sis-
28. The country experienced very bad whether on
Divali night so many devotees could not light
D. Underline the word in brackets that correctly
completes EACH sentence.
(Spare, Spear) the rod and spoil the child.
Continued on the next page
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Links Archive November 17th 2015 November 19th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page