Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 27th 2015 Contents 43. a. Hire purchase cost =
Downpayment + total monthly
instalments = $1 000 + (12 x
Answer: $10 000.00
b. Difference =
$10 000 -- $8 570.50 = $1 429.50
Answer: $1 429.50
44. Area of triangle = 1/2 bh =
Answer: Area - 24 square cm,
Perimeter - 24 cm
Area of top rectangle =
Area of middle rectangle =
Area of bottom rectangle =
Total area = (242 + 66 + 176)
square cm = 484 square cm
Answer: Perimeter - 116 cm,
Area - 484 square cm
46. Distance of B to G on drawing =
Actual distance for B to G =
Answer: 240 km
1. The sugar easily (dissolved ; dis-
solving) in the large glass of water.
2. Patrick (lended ; lent) his friend
some money to purchase a dou-
3. The bandit (flung ; flinged) the
stolen purse into the river.
4. The visitors (drived ; drove) a dis-
tance of forty kilometres before
they returned. home.
5. Yesterday, Denise visited Popular
Fashions where she bought some
6. Tomorrow we'll see our favorite
uncle who lives in Carnbee.
7. Peter still could not understand
the game although it was ex-
plained to him.
8. SCARCE Recently, there was
a scarcity of eggs in
9. DEEP The swimmer checked
the depth of the
water before diving.
10. ATTRACT The popular actress is
a major attraction in
11. EXPOSE Too much exposure to
the sun can badly
affect your skin.
12. Savi asked Lystra that if she saw
Denise , whether she could kindly
let her know that she had to finish
her project by the following day.
13. Rudy remarked to his friends that
he hoped that the Trinidad and To-
bago's 'Red Force' cricket team
could win the finals, the following
14. Mrs. Williams, our neighbor, asked
Dianne whether she would be able
to purchase some flour for her
when she went to the grocery,
15. The footballer almost (kneel)
knelt to the ground on (receive)
receiving a rough tackle from the
16. The bandits (flee) fled from the
scene as the police (approach) ap-
proached the bank.
17. (Hold) Holding the huge fish in his
hand, Bobby boasted that this one
was the largest that he had ever
18. Maria (make) made a colorful
salad after she had finished (cook)
cooking the stew.
19. This pastelle is tasting real, real
good. (really) - The Adverb form
is needed, here.
20. Freddy raised up his hand quickly
to answer the Science question.
(raised) - already implies "lifted
21. Patty bought three dollars worth
of sweets for her friends. (dollars'
worth) -- to express the posses-
22. The birthday gift cost around
twenty dollars. (about) - incorrect
23. Not for one moment could we
comprehend Martin's sudden
change in behaviour. understand;
grasp; follow; figure out
24. Keanu is always nervous when he
has to do an examination. anxious;
worried; edgy; panicky; jumpy
25. Although Martin is usually an obe-
dient child he will not act except
he is sure his actions would not
26. Many Caribbean islands are cov-
ered with volcanic soil.
27. Using a sieve, it was very easy for
the students to seperate the glass
fragments from the sand. separate
28. It has proven to be quite a difficult
feet to climb the steep hill. feat
29. I am so (addictive, allergic) to cig-
arette smoke that if someone is
smoking outside a room I am in, I
begin to sneeze and (cuff, cough).
30. After carrying out many (exami-
nations, experiments), the (psy-
chologist, scientist) concluded
that he could not use vegetables
to make cheese.
31. "I'll see you later," said
32. "You'll be punished if
you don't complete your
homework on time," said
33. "I've done everything I
can but Ican't reach to
school before eight
o'clock," said Marcus.
34. "Are you certain Alice
is coming?" asked Faye.
35.Marcus' pet cat was
bitten by the neighbour's
36. The poet is most likely referring to
'old' and/or experienced soldiers
(who fought in wars) as veterans.
37. a. themes: (main) topics; ideas;
b. perspective: viewpoint; side;
c. significance: meaning;
38. The three themes that the poet
was referring to in line 5 are to ho-
nour veterans who died, to honour
veterans who survived and to hon-
our all dearly departed (died).
39. The poet connected the three
themes to war and/or death.
40. The poet preferred to emphasise
the theme of 'Peace and Life'.
41. The lachrymal glands are situated
behind the upper eyelids.
42. (a) produce - create; make; manu-
(b) infection - ailment; disorder;
(c) chamber - cubicle; space;
43. Used' tear drains away through
two tiny holes in the eyelids near
the nose, entering small tubes that
take it to the nostril (nose) where
it may "flow out" when we sneeze
44. Tears wash the eyes, cleaning
away dust and germs that may
cause infections. (Tears protect the
eyes from infections that may be
caused by dust and germs that enter
45. "Tears" is a suitable title for the
passage. (Students may give other
46. a) " Sky Watchers of the Past" is
the name (title) of the book.
b). The book was most likely
written by Peter Mohan.
47. Eliza Rojas made the drawings (il-
lustrations) in the book.
48. a) The book was published by
"Island Publishing Company."
b) The book was published in
Chaguanas, Trinidad and
Tobago, West Indies.
49. a) The book was most likely first
published in 1990.
b) The book was reprinted twice
50. The phrase, "Printed on recycled
paper," suggests that the printers
are concerned about the environ-
Friday, November 27, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Links Archive November 26th 2015 November 28th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page