Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 4th 2015 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
Friday, December 4, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
For breaking news, call 225-4465 Exts 2032, 2033, 2004 or email us at email@example.com
for 02ND DECEMBER, 2015
In an unprecedented move, the Office of
the Attorney General yesterday was given
the green light to seize the assets of a man
convicted of terrorism in the United States.
Presiding in the Port-of-Spain High Court
yesterday afternoon, Justice Nadia Kangaloo
ruled that the AG s office had provided suf-
ficient evidence to deem 70-year-old Kareem
Ibrahim, formerly of Tacarigua, a terrorist
under the Anti-Terrorism Act and could
begin the process of seizing his assets.
Because the AG s office is yet to identify
any assets attributed to Ibrahim, Kangaloo
granted a "blanket" order granting permission
to seize assets which may be eventually found
in searches which are still ongoing.
Potential items which could be seized
include bank credits, traveller s cheques, bank
cheques, money orders, shares, securities,
bonds, drafts, letters of credit whether situated
in T&T or elsewhere, and legal or equitable
interest, whether full or partial, in any prop-
Under the order granted by Kangaloo, if
Ibrahim, who is serving a life sentence in the
US for his role in an alleged 2007 plot to
blow up the JFK Airport in Queens, receives
parole and is deported back to Trinidad, he
will not be permitted to open bank accounts
or conduct financial transactions.
"This order does not prohibit Ibrahim from
spending the sum of $1,000 a week towards
his ordinary living expenses nor does it pro-
hibit him from spending a reasonable sum
on legal expenses," the order stated.
The application, filed last week using evi-
dence compiled by US prosecutors to convict
Ibrahim, is the first since the Anti-Terrorism
legislation was passed by Parliament.
The legislation empowers the AG s office
to apply for the power to seize the assets of
a person, once there is evidence of that person
committing a terrorist act, both locally and
Under the legislation, Ibrahim or his family
will be able to appeal Kangaloo s decision in
60 days time. They were not allowed to make
submissions before Kangaloo made her deci-
sion as the legislation allows for the AG s
application to be heard in the accused person s
The AG s office was represented by Pamela
Elder, SC, Michael Rooplal and Central
Authority head Netram Kowlessar.
Speaking at a press conference following
the closing ceremony of the Caribbean Finan-
cial Action Task Force s (CFATF) plenary
meeting at the Hyatt Regency, Port-of-Spain,
last week, Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi
noted Ibrahim s application was the first of
several being considered by his office and
the National Security Council.
"There are several we are looking at right
now. Once the evidence has been nailed
down and when everything is gelled together
the applications will be made. Due process
must be observed, hence avoiding pre-trial
publicity by revealing names and addresses,"
Speaking later at the Piarco International
Airport, where he met Prime Minister Dr
Keith Rowley on his return from abroad, Al-
Rawi said the ruling was "an important matter
Commenting on the issue of alleged T&T
foreign terrorist fighters returning home, Al-
Rawi said the National Security Council was
hard at work co-ordinating those issues.
He said international partners have been
providing the necessary information "to track
foreign terrorist fighters and T&T citizens
who may be involved in that."
While some have argued that such people
should not be allowed to return home, Al-
Rawi said the Government "simply intends
to apply the laws of T&T."
He said the Government was committed
to applying the law to deal with alleged ter-
"More action, less talk is what is really
required," he added.
He said there must be "no witch-hunting
or wild allegations...due process requires evi-
Al-Rawi said citizens could look forward
to "a tight application of our laws."
---With reporting by Richard Lord
JENSEN LA VENDE
Relatives of Brian Smith, who drowned two
weeks ago after allegedly being beaten by soldiers,
are now calling for some action to be taken against
pathologist Dr Easlyn McDonald-Burris, who per-
formed the first autopsy on Smith.
In the first autopsy, Smith s cause of death was
given as drowning. A second autopsy also found
drowning as the cause of death but also found blunt
force trauma to the face and head prior to his death.
In an interview with CNC3 on Wednesday night,
Smith s sister, Anika Kwanzaa, said the second report
done by Dr Hughvon des Vignes highlighted her
brother had injuries to his head and face.
She added none of those injuries were indicated
on the first autopsy done by McDonald-Burris on
November 23, one day after Smith s bloated body
was found. She said with the second report, the
family had all the evidence they needed and will be
seeking legal options for justice.
"Something should be done about that person
who did the first autopsy. She did not do it fair.
Things that was supposed to have been done was
not done," Kwanzaa said.
In a press release on Tuesday, McDonald-Burris
defended criticism against her, noting Smith s autopsy
was performed with "mature professional consid-
eration and appropriate unbiased skill."
Kwanzaa said with the second report, the soldiers
involved in the incident, all members of the Engi-
neering Battalion, should be afraid as they would
be held culpable for Smith s death.
In a telephone interview with the T&T Guardian
yesterday, a senior Homicide official said officers
had not yet reviewed the findings of the second
The officer said investigators heard of the second
report through the media and while not making
any finding themselves, the alleged injuries could
also have been sustained through a fall.
Al-Rawi pleased with terror seizure ruling...
AG going after more targets
Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi, left, welcomes Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley at the
Diplomatic Lounge of the Piarco International Airport yesterday, following the PM's return
from the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Malta. PHOTO: ABRAHAM DIAZ
Ibrahim, also known as Winston Kingston,
was convicted on May 26, 2011 of
conspiracy to launch a terrorist attack at
the John F Kennedy Airport in Queens, New
York, in 2007.
He and Guyanese nationals---Russell
Defreitas and Abdul Kadir---were accused of
plotting to explode fuel tanks and the fuel
pipeline under the airport.
The evidence at the trial established that
Ibrahim, an imam and leader of the Shiite
Muslim community in T&T, provided
religious instructions and operational
support to a group plotting to commit a
terrorist attack at JFK Airport.
The trio was arrested in Trinidad in June
2007 and were eventually extradited to the
US to face trial.
He was found guilty after a four-week trial
and was sentenced to life in prison. He is
currently serving time at the US Medical
Centre for Federal Prisoners in Springfield,
Missouri, United States.
Links Archive December 3rd 2015 December 5th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page