Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 7th 2015 Contents A21
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
SANAA---A huge explosion
killed the governor of Yemen s
southern Aden province and six
of his bodyguards yesterday, in
an attack that was later claimed
by a local Islamic State affiliate
security officials said.
Governor Gaafar Mohamed
Saad was travelling to his office
when the explosion struck his
convoy in the southern port city.
Authorities are investigating the
exact cause of the explosion. The
officials spoke on condition of
anonymity because they were not
authorised to brief the media.
An ISIS affiliate claimed the
attack in a statement circulated
online by supporters, saying the
bomb was concealed in a parked
car along the convoy s route. The
group referred to Saad as a
"tyrant" and warned the "heads
of the infidels" in Yemen that it
would carry out "operations to
chop off their rotten heads."
ISIS has claimed a series of
bombings that killed 159 people
and wounded 345 this year in
Yemen, according to an AP count.
The extremists have been able
to expand their reach in the chaos
of Yemen s larger conflict, between
a loose array of pro-government
forces backed by a Saudi-led
coalition and Shiite Houthi rebels,
who control the capital, Sanaa,
and large parts of northern Yemen.
Pro-government forces drove the
Houthis out of Aden earlier this
A local al-Qaida affiliate has
exploited the chaos to seize ter-
ritory in Yemen s south and east,
and has a growing presence in
On Saturday, masked gunmen
in Aden killed a military intelli-
gence official and a judge known
for sentencing al-Qaeda militants.
No one claimed those attacks.
The United Arab Emirates min-
ister of state for foreign affairs,
Anwar Gargash, condemned the
killing of the Aden governor and
described the perpetrators as
"These crimes will not discour-
age our common resolve to restore
security and stability throughout
the brotherly nation of Yemen,"
he said in a statement carried by
state news agency WAM.
The seven-state Emirates fed-
eration and neighbouring Saudi
Arabia are leading a coalition
backing the internationally recog-
nised government. The Emirati
military has played a key role in
helping to secure Aden.
The Emirates also has been out-
spoken against the Islamic State
group and is part of the US-led
coalition fighting the group in Iraq
LONDON---Counter-terrorism police in
Britain were yesterday investigating a stab-
bing at a London Underground station in
which a man brandishing a knife injured
two people and reportedly said, "This is for
Police arrested a 29-year-old man late Sat-
urday and said they are treating the "violent
unprovoked knife attack" at east London s
Leytonstone subway station as a "terrorist
Richard Walton, chief of Scotland Yard s
counter-terrorism command, said the decision
was made because of information received
from witnesses and subsequent police inves-
tigations. The force said it was searching a
residential address in east London, but
declined to say whether they were looking
for other suspects.
British media widely reported that the sus-
pect linked his actions to Syria after the
attack. The claim could not be independently
verified, but the incident comes just days
after Parliament approved British airstrikes
on Islamic State group targets in Syria.
Like many other European countries,
authorities in Britain are already on edge after
Islamic extremist attacks in Paris last month
left 130 people dead. The last extremist attack
in Britain was in May 2013, when two British-
born, al-Qaeda-inspired extremists stabbed
an off-duty soldier to death on a busy London
In Saturday s attack, one man suffered
serious knife injuries and was in the hospital
in stable condition. Another man received
minor injuries, while a woman was threatened
but not hurt.
Video shot by witnesses at the scene
showed a pool of blood on the station s floor
as the suspect was seen lunging at several
police officers who tried to subdue him. He
was then pinned down after a stun gun was
One bystander can be heard shouting at
the suspect: "You ain t no Muslim, bruv."
The phrase, using slang for brother, was
quickly picked up by Twitter users who turned
it into a trending hashtag to show their con-
tempt for the suspect and extremism.
Salim Patel, who runs a shop at the station,
told reporters the suspect punched and kicked
a man before stabbing him.
"I saw the guy attacking the victim, punch-
ing him so hard. The victim was screaming
please somebody help me. Help, " he said.
"Then the attacker started kicking him on
the floor ... the attacker took a knife out and
started stabbing him as he lay on the floor."
Britain s national terrorism threat level
remains at "severe," meaning that authorities
believe an attack is highly likely. (AP)
BELGRADE---A man aboard a Lufthansa
flight from Frankfurt to Belgrade was arrested
yesterday after threatening to open a plane
door during the flight, Serbian authorities
Passengers quoted by Belgrade media said
he banged on a cockpit door threatening to
bring down the plane while it was flying over
Austria if he was not allowed inside.
Lufthansa said the cabin crew and passen-
gers on Flight 1406 managed to restrain him
for the rest of the journey, adding that the
plane doors can t be opened during a flight
Lufthansa spokesman Andreas Bartels said
the plane landed safely in Belgrade and the
passenger was handed over to local author-
Belgrade Blic daily said the man is a Jor-
danian with an American passport. Police
questioned him after the plane landed in Bel-
Serbia s public prosecutor yesterday ordered
the suspect into 48-hour pre-trial detention
on the grounds of endangering public safe-
Passengers, who included players of a Ser-
bian handball team, said the man acted irra-
tionally from the start of the flight.
"About halfway into the flight he tried to
open a plane door, but the cabin crew stopped
him," said the president of the Vojvodina hand-
ball team, Milan Djukic, adding that two players
"guarded" the suspect for the rest of the flight
while he was restrained in business class.
He said during the flight most of the pas-
sengers were unaware of the events happening
in the front of the plane.
BAKU---Azerbaijan s state oil
company SOCAR said yester-
day that it was still searching
for 29 workers missing after
a fire swept through an off-
shore oil platform.
But in an acknowledgment
that they were unlikely to be
found alive, the company asked
the four other countries who
share the Caspian Sea to search
their own territorial waters for
bodies of the missing oil work-
ers. SOCAR said notices were
sent to the border guard serv-
ices of Iran, Kazakhstan, Russia
The missing workers were on
a lifeboat that toppled into
heavy seas late Friday after the
oil platform caught fire when
an underwater gas pipeline was
damaged in the storm.
A ship that had been sent to
help with the rescue operation
recovered the body of one of
the workers who had been in
that lifeboat and saved three
other workers, the company
and emergency services said.
In all, 33 workers were rescued.
SOCAR said the platform in
the offshore Guneshli field was
still burning yesterday because
it had reached one of the oil
29 still missing after oil platform fire
UK police probe
attack at station
Passenger held after threat to open plane door
ISIS strikes in Yemen bomb attack...
Governor, 6 guards killed
the scene of a
killed a Yemeni
six of his
an attack later
claimed by a
Links Archive December 6th 2015 December 8th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page