Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 7th 2015 Contents Monday, December 7, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
8. It is ................................. that you submit the architec-
tural plans this week, if we are to commence
work in January.
9. The success of the project will depend on the
time and effort that you are willing to ...........................
10. In spite of his age, the gentleman was ..........................
and gave a detailed account of the events that
led to his illness.
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully. Each sen-
tence has four options, review the options and select
the one that is CLOSEST in meaning to the original
11. On the darkest night of the year, Hindus around
the world celebrate "Divali -- The Festival of
A. Hindus around the world celebrate "Divali --
The Festival of Lights".
"Divali -The Festival of Lights," is celebrated
by Hindus around the world, on the darkest
night of the year.
C. The darkest night of the year marks the cel-
ebration of "Divali - The Festival of Lights".
D. Hindus celebrate Divali -The Festival of
Lights," on the darkness night of the year.
12. As students, we were encouraged to pursue a
practical course either in tailoring or cooking.
A. Students should be encouraged to pursue a
practical course in either tailoring or cook-
B. Even as we were encouraged to pursue a
practical course in tailoring or cooking, so
C. When we were students, we were encour-
aged to pursue a practical course either in
tailoring or cooking.
D. It is necessary as students to pursue a
practical course either in tailoring or cook-
DIRECTION: Read the following sentences carefully. No
sentence contains more than one error. Some of the sen-
tences are incorrect because of grammar, vocabulary or
idiom. Identify the part of the sentence which is incor-
rect and select the letter which corresponds with your
answer. If the sentence is appropriate as it stands mark
your answer D.
1. Redwood trees are referred to as
"Giants of the Forests," as they have been known
to reach heights of three hundred and seventy-five
feet. No Error
2. There is a strict deadline for the submission
of tender documents. No Error
3. In spite of the many avenues available of learning,
there are persons who do not make use of these
opportunities. No Error
4. Because the club's resources are limited, certain
initiatives will have to be deferred to next year.
5. The flooring in the front office is beginning to
show sign of wear and tear. No Error
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully and select
from the four options given the word or words best
suited to complete the sentence.
6. A person who can write with both hands is de-
scribed as ............................................
7. The government recently................................ a large sum
of US Currency into the economy to address the
13. When you calculate the cost of goods, treat it as
a separate expense.
A. When you cost the items, treat it as a sepa-
B. Calculate the cost of goods and treat it as a
C. The cost of goods is a separate expense.
D. Calculate the cost and treat the goods as a
14. In the last eighteen months, three commercial air-
crafts have crashed resulting in the deaths of
hundreds of passengers.
A. Three commercial jets have crashed in the
past eighteen months resulting in the
deaths of hundreds of passengers.
B. In the last eighteen months, hundreds of
passengers have lost their lives as a result
of plane crashes.
C. Three commercial jets have crashed causing
hundreds of passengers to lose their lives.
D. Hundreds of passengers have lost their lives
in the last eighteen months, while flying on
15. We have every confidence that you will use your
discretion in handling the matter.
A. You are required to use your discretion in
handling the matter.
B. We trust that you will use your discretion in
handling the matter.
C. In handling the matter, we expect that you
will use your discretion.
D. We know that you will use your discretion in
handling the matter.
DIRECTION: Read the sentences carefully. You will be
required to reconstruct each sentence using one of the
four options given below. Remember when recon-
structing the sentences not to distort the original
16. On realising the wrecker had toed his car to an
unknown location, the owner became enraged.
17. Persons that have been held in captivity are often
forced to renounce their religious beliefs.
18. Consuming foods that are high in saturated fats
can be detrimental to one's health.
Continued on the next page
Links Archive December 6th 2015 December 8th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page