Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 10th 2015 Contents A4
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Thursday, December 10, 2015
Reputed gang leader Rajaee Ali is receiving
special privileges in prison, according to a
senior prisons officer.
This was the evidence tendered yesterday
in defence of a lawsuit filed by Ali who is
claiming inhumane treatment at the Port-
Ali, who is on remand for the murder of
Dana Seetahal, SC, and conspiring to murder
radio announcer Kevaughn "Lerbz" Savory,
is one of the best treated prisoners as he
received special privileges and attention,
prisons supervisor Christopher Vidale stat-
ed.In the affidavits obtained by the T&T
Guardian, the prisons officer said Ali was being
kept in solitary confinement in a high security cell at
the prison, known as F1, because of the high-profile
nature of his alleged crimes and the fact that he escaped
from the Golden Grove State Prison in Arouca while on
remand for separate charges in 2007.
Vidale claimed Ali was also given a mattress and a
fan which normally could not be held in overcrowded
cells. Other inmates on remand usually slept in make-
"I am not aware as to the reasons why the claimant
was given his own fan but this was a case of special
treatment and is quite irregular," he stated.
Besides being kept apart from other inmates, Ali is
also complaining of being denied his daily one-hour
"airing time" afforded to all remand prisoners under
the Prisons Service s regulations.
Another prisons officer, Ian Hypolite, who is assigned
to supervise Ali s movement outside his cell, denied
that allegation as he claimed Ali would sometimes refuse
to leave his cell or would ask to cut his "airing time"
While Hypolite claims a logbook had been created
specifically to monitor Ali s movements, he admitted
the records might be incomplete as he could not say
whether other officers maintained entries like he
Hypolite also denied Ali s allegation his cell was
infested with vermin.
During a brief hearing of the case before Justice
Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell in the Port-of-
Spain High Court yesterday, Senior Counsel Douglas
Mendes, who is representing the State, asked for
additional time to file additional evidence. Mendes
request was not opposed by Ali s lawyer Gerald Ramdeen.
After granting the extension, Donaldson-Honeywell
suggested that the court may have to do a site visit at
the prison before the case went to trial.
She also suggested that Ali could be cross-examined
from the prison, using video conferencing equipment,
if prisons officials had security concerns.
The case has been adjourned to March 7.
--- See Page A9
A 16-year-old student, who was
chopped during a school fight last
week, remains home recovering
from his injuries.
Last week Wednesday Form
Three and Four students of the
Brazil Secondary School were
engaged in a brawl.
The fight allegedly started
because a male Form Three student
threatened to kill a female student
in the same form.
This male student allegedly
brought a cutlass to school with the
intent to wound the female student.
During the fracas Jodel Noel, who
claimed he tried to protect the female
student, was chopped on his left leg, a few
inches above his ankle. The chop wound was
approximately three centimetres deep and
needed 85 stitches to close.
Since last week Jodel has been resting at
his family s home in the Heights of Guanapo,
Arima. He is unable to move from his home
because his family resides on his father s,
Sherwin Noel, estate located on a steep
Noel said while Joel was trying to rest, he
is starting to experience more pain because
his medication is wearing off. The family
could not say how long he would be out of
He told the T&T Guardian he had filed a
police report and anticipated the boy who
chopped his son would be arrested soon.
He also said counsellors from Student Sup-
port Services of the Ministry of Education
visited the family s home where they advised
Jodel he should not have been involved in
"They are not making much sense.
They told him he should have left the
fight and went and get a teacher but Jodel
told me everything that happened. He
said if he didn t jump in the fight that
little boy would have killed that little girl,"
He told T&T Guardian he was not satisfied
with the way the investigations were going
and was consulting a lawyer on the matter.
A communication official from the Ministry
of Education told the T&T Guardian two
students have been suspended from the
A request for an extension of suspension
for the cutlass-wielding boy has also been
filed with the ministry.
Prisons authorities claim:
for Dana accused
in school fight
still at home
Links Archive December 9th 2015 December 11th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page