Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 10th 2015 Contents A29
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
A petition calling for Republican pres-
idential hopeful Donald Trump to be barred
from entering the UK has gathered more
than 300,000 names, so MPs will have to
consider debating it.
The petition went on Parliament s e-peti-
tion website on Tuesday.
It was posted in response to Trump s call
for a temporary halt on Muslims entering
the United States.
Chancellor George Osborne criticised
Trump s comments but rejected calls for
him to be banned from the UK.
Any petition with more than 100,000
signatures is automatically considered for
debate in Parliament.
Trump is seeking the Republican nom-
ination for next year s US presidential elec-
He said on yesterday he would never leave
the 2016 race, despite the volume of calls
for him to step aside.
Labour home affairs spokesman Jack
Dromey and Green Party leader Natalie Ben-
nett have backed the petition to ban Trump
from entering the country, with Conservative
MP Sarah Wollaston saying the proposal
merited "serious discussion".
The Home Office has powers to ban
speakers from overseas coming to the UK
under the "unacceptable behaviours or
extremism exclusion policy".
Last year, Home Secretary Theresa May
said she had excluded "hundreds" of peo-
ple.People banned from entering the UK
under the exclusion policy in recent years
include leaders of the Westboro Baptist
Church, Islamist preachers and Ku Klux
Klan officials, and two anti-Muslim blog-
Home Secretary Theresa May can exclude
an individual if she considers their presence
is "not conducive to the public good or if
their exclusion is justified on public policy
Osborne told the Commons that the
remarks by Trump flew in the face of Amer-
ica s founding principles and "were not wel-
Downing Street said it was not aware of
any plans for the billionaire businessman
to visit, so any question of a ban on him
coming to Britain was "hypothetical".
The full text of the petition---entitled
"Block Donald J Trump from UK entry"---
reads: "The UK has banned entry to many
individuals for hate speech. The same prin-
ciples should apply to everyone who wishes
to enter the UK.
"If the United Kingdom is to continue
applying the unacceptable behaviour criteria
to those who wish to enter its borders, it
must be fairly applied to the rich as well as
poor, and the weak as well as powerful."
ISLAMABAD---The father of a woman
who helped carry out the California mass
shooting said yesterday that he condemns
and regrets his daughter s action and the
deaths of 14 people.
Gulzar Ahmad Malik spoke to The Asso-
ciated Press by telephone from Jiddah, Saudi
Arabia, saying he is "very, very sad.
"I am in such pain that I cannot even
describe it," he said.
His daughter, Tashfeen Malik, and her
husband, Syed Rizwan Farook, opened fire
on Farook s co-workers a week ago in San
Bernardino, California, killing 14 and injuring
several others. The couple later died in a
gunbattle with police.
"Whatever God does only he knows bet-
ter, and only God knows why did it happen,"
Gulzar Ahmad Malik said.
He said he gave a statement to Saudi
intelligence and would not comment fur-
The shooters radicalised at least two years
ago and discussed jihad and martyrdom as
early as 2013, FBI Director James Comey
said Wednesday. Tashfeen Malik, 29, held
extremist views before she arrived in the
U.S. on a fiancée visa last year, he said.
Malik married Farook, an American citizen,
in July 2014.
She was from Pakistan but traveled to
Saudi Arabia, where her father has been a
resident since the early 1980s, the Saudi
Interior Ministry said.
A Pakistani counterterrorism official said
the father works as an engineer, as do his
two sons. The official spoke on condition
of anonymity because he was not authorised
to talk to the press.
Former college classmates and others who
knew Tashfeen Malik in Pakistan said she
began dressing more conservatively and
became more fervent in her faith in recent
Former classmate Afsheen Butt said Malik
showed drastic changes after a trip to Saudi
Arabia in late 2008 or early 2009. (AP)
CHICAGO---Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel apol-
ogised for the 2014 shooting of a black teenager
yesterday during a special City Council meeting
that he called to discuss a police abuse scandal
at the centre of the biggest crisis of his admin-
istration, promising "complete and total" reform
to restore trust in the police.
Emanuel, who had been a top aide to President
Barack Obama during his first term, is currently
tasked with trying to restore the trust and con-
fidence of city residents in both the police force
and his own leadership amid fallout over the release
of a video showing the killing of a black teen by
a white officer.
Officer Jason Van Dyke is charged with first-
degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Laquan
McDonald, who appeared in the video to be walking
away from Van Dyke as he was shot.
"I take responsibility for what happened because
it happened on my watch. And if we re going to
fix it I want you to understand it s my responsibility
with you," Emanuel said. "But if we re also going
to begin the healing process, the first step in that
journey is my step.
"And I m sorry."
The McDonald footage---ordered to be released
by a judge last month and made public hours after
Van Dyke was charged---set off a chain of events
that captured the attention of the country. Days
of protests and marches followed, including one
on the busiest shopping day of the year that partially
shut down the city s most famous shopping district,
A few days later, Emanuel announced that he
had demanded and received the resignation of
Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy, created a
new task force for police accountability and expand-
ed the use of body cameras.
But the anger did not subside, and every day
there seemed to be another issue, including the
release of hundreds of pages of documents that
show police had described in their reports a far
more threatening McDonald than the teen shown
to the city and the world on video.
The situation became so volatile that Emanuel
was forced to do something he rarely does: back-
track. After initially saying that a federal probe of
the department would be "misguided" because
the US Attorney s office was already examining
the McDonald shooting, Emanuel later said he
welcomed such an investigation.
On Monday, US Attorney General Loretta Lynch
announced a Justice Department civil rights inves-
tigation to determine if there are patterns of racial
disparity in the police department s use of force.
Emanuel then said the city would stop fighting
the release of a second video that showed a police
officer shooting a man in the back.
That video was released Monday during a pres-
entation in which Cook County State s Attorney
Anita Alvarez said she would not charge the officer.
speaks about Chicago
Father of California shooter condemns daughter's action
Trump UK ban petition
passes 300,000 signatures
Dozens of people have been killed in a
Taliban attack on a heavily fortified
civilian and military airfield in the
southern Afghan city of Kandahar.
The defence ministry said that at least
37 people, including many children, had
been killed in the clashes. At least nine
militants were also killed.
A number of hostages were seized in
the 26-hour attack before Afghan forces
retook the airport.
Final "mopping up operations" were
now under way, military officials said.
The Taliban said a number of suicide
fighters managed to enter the base with
weapons. They said "martyrdom
seekers" had launched "thunderous
attacks on foreign and hireling
The defence ministry statement said
that a total of 11 insurgents took part in
the attack. As well as nine killed, another
was injured. Reports said a final gunman
held out on his own for several hours
before being killed late on Wednesday
Kandahar security officials put the
number of attackers at 12, all of whom
had been killed.
At least 35 people were injured in the
attack, the defence ministry said. (BBC)
Afghan Taliban kill dozens at Kandahar airport
This July 27, 2014 photo provided by US Customs and Border Protection shows Tashfeen
Malik, left, and Syed Farook, as they passed through O'Hare International Airport in
Chicago. The husband and wife died on December 2 in a gun battle with authorities several
hours after their assault on a gathering of Farook's colleagues in San Bernardino,
California. AP PHOTO
Links Archive December 9th 2015 December 11th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page