Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 14th 2015 Contents Monday, December 14, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
scene within five minutes of the accident.
9. After a tiring week of training that sea bath was
10. They were faced with the ........................... of having to
find a new venue, one month before the wedding.
DIRECTION: Read the following sentences carefully. No
sentence contains more than one error. Some of the sen-
tences are incorrect because of grammar, vocabulary or
idiom. Identify the part of the sentence which is incor-
rect and select the letter which corresponds with your
answer. If the sentence is appropriate as it stands mark
your answer D.
11. Will I be illegible to receive a student loan for the
next semester? No Error
12. The television have become a major distraction
in our home, at dinner time. No Error
13. "When you have finished washing your hands,
please set the table," said Scotts' mother. No Error
14. Your name first appeared on the voters list. No Error
15. The police have been pleading with parents not to
leave their children unsupervised, during the
vacation period. No Error
DIRECTION: Read the sentences carefully. Each sen-
tence has four options, review the options and select the
one that is CLOSEST in meaning to the original sentence.
16. The service advisor was not available to provide us
with any feedback regarding the repairs to our refrig-
A. The service advisor was not prepared to
provide us with any feedback regarding the
repairs to our refrigerator.
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully and then select
the word that is NEAREST in meaning to the underlined
word in the sentence.
1. On the first night of the cruise, we received a warm re-
ception from the crew.
2. During the storm, the parents of the new born baby
took every precaution to insulate their child from pos-
3. After being separated from his wife and not having the
support of his children, Mr. Smith became disillusioned
4. It is common for governments to offer tax concessions
as a means of encouraging savings and investments.
5. The company was mandated by the Board of Directors
to put a freeze on all wages and salaries for the next
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully and select from
the four options given the word or words best suited to
complete the sentence.
6. At no time during the ......................... did either team display
any improper behaviour.
7. In the coming year, we will be ............................... a new
safety policy for the academy.
8. The emergency vehicles were ......................................to the
B. The service advisor did not provide us with
any feedback regarding the repairs to our re-
C. The service advisor could not be reached for
an update regarding the repairs to our refrig-
D. The service advisor was not available to carry
out any repairs to our refrigerator or to pro-
vide us with any feedback.
17. It is important to reflect on all the beauty in the world
especially in times of despair or adversity.
A. In times of despair and adversity, it is impor-
tant to reflect on all the beauty in the world.
B. It is important to reflect on all the beauty in
the world, even in times of despair and adver-
C. In times of despair and adversity, it is impor-
tant to always reflect on all the beauty in the
D. It is important when in times of despair and
adversity to reflect on the beauty in the
18. While you may find extreme sports appealing, you
must also take into account the possible risk of injury
A. While you may find extreme sports appeal-
ing, you must account for the possible risk of
injury and death.
B. While you may find extreme sports appeal-
ing, the possibility of injury and the risk of
death is always a factor.
C. While extreme sports may be appealing to
you; the possibility of injury and death is pres-
D. While extreme sports may be appealing, you
must be mindful of the possible risk of injury
19. In spite of the numerous warnings given to internet
users not to divulge personal information, they con-
tinue to fall prey to scam artists.
A. In spite of numerous warnings given to inter-
net users to be weary of the information they
divulge, so they do not fall prey to scam
B. Internet users continue to fall prey to scam
artists, in spite of numerous warnings not to
divulge personal information.
C. In spite of the numerous warnings, internet
users continue to fall prey to scam artist, who
succeed in getting them to divulge sensitive
D. Internet users continue to get scammed by
artists, who get them to divulge their per-
20. There is no way to compensate her for her dedicated
service in caring for the elderly, for more than seven-
A. It is impossible to compensate her for more
that seventeen years of dedicated service.
B. There is no way to compensate for her caring
for the elderly, in seventeen years.
Continued on the next page
Links Archive December 13th 2015 December 15th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page