Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 21st 2015 Contents A5
Monday, December 21, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Friday and Saturday saw a
decrease in the numbers of
both vendors and customers
at the Queen s Park Savannah,
Mayor Raymond Tim Kee s
revelation of a major rat infes-
tation in the area.
Tim Kee, last week, request-
ed that vendors vacate the
paved area of the Savannah for
three to five weeks, so that city
officials could exterminate the
rodents and add running water
and toilet facilities for both
vendors and consumers.
He revealed that an infesta-
tion of large rats had been dis-
covered by public health offi-
cials at the city corporation
and cautioned that the public
health was at risk.
Approximately 40 vendors
use the space at the Savannah,
with 34 being members of the
Savannah Vendors Association.
While some vendors protest-
ed the request to move, citing
lack of consultation and loss
of earnings, several did not
show up to the space this
Former President of the
Savannah Vendors Association
Peter Faustin was one of the
vendors who stayed away from
the Savannah this weekend.
"I m not endorsing any
move to stay. It was a directive
from public health and I took
that very seriously," Faustin
said in a telephone interview.
He said he was willing to
stay away so the work could
be done to make the space
more appropriate for the sale
Faustin said hundreds of
people visiting the Savannah
daily to purchase food, with
the most popular days being
Friday and Saturday.
Another vendor, Denicia
Diaz, who sells corn soup at
the Savannah said she too had
decided to heed the mayor s
warning and stayed home.
"I usually take a break at
Christmas time anyway
because people usually have a
lot of food in their house at
that time," Diaz said.
"I have no problem with the
need to put in proper facilities,
but I felt he (Mayor Tim Kee)
could have consulted us.
"The way he did it was with
a lack of respect. We contribute
to the economy too you know."
Doubles vendor Danny
Kallicharan said he had sold
doubles at the Savannah on
both Friday and Saturday and
had realised business was slow.
"I don t know if it is because
of what the mayor said about
the rats but we had less peo-
"I still went out though
because that is how I make my
Up to press time last night it was
unclear whether Trinidad and
Tobago s representative at Miss
World in China had caught her
plane to London, to catch her con-
necting flight back to T&T on Tues-
One day after competing in the
pageant, relatives of Kimberly Farrah
Singh said she was stranded in
China, with no cash to bring home
Singh, who faced a number of
legal and personal challenges in order
to participate in the competition,
reportedly spent hours yesterday
trying to contact national director
for Miss World, president of Oneness
Entertainment, Vanessa Sahatoo-
Worried about how she would be
getting back to Trinidad, Singh s sis-
ter Renatta told the Guardian that
she first contacted the Miss World
international organisers, who made
several attempts to contact Saha-
too-Manoo, as her company was
responsible for the financial arrange-
ments of Singh s return.
They also failed in their efforts to
contact her. Sahatoo-Manoo did not
respond to phone calls, text messages
or e-mails from the Guardian yes-
Singh s sister made a plea on social
media site Facebook, for any infor-
mation on locating or contacting
Sahatoo-Manoo so that her sister
could return home safely. As of yes-
terday evening, she said, she had no
While Singh s flight is paid for,
she is scheduled to travel back with
luggage filled with items contributed
by sponsors. The fee for the luggage
on the flight to Sanya, China cost
approximately US$700, which she
did not have.
This is the first time Singh has
ever left the country and her relatives
say they are worried about her.
Singh travelled by plane from
Sanya, to the city of Guangzhou on
the Chinese mainland yesterday.
Family members said they tried
to make the payment via credit card
so that Singh can return with the
luggage but have been told by the
airline, that they could not process
the charges. Money transfer services
are not available on a Sunday.
At the airport in Guangzhou,
Singh met up with a Miss World
staff member who offered to wait
at a nearby hotel with her until her
flight at 9.30 last night.
In a telephone interview yesterday,
Singh s sister Renatta said the family
was still making attempts to contact
"We have to figure out the pay-
ment. They are saying they won t
accept our credit cards and so we
are looking at alternative ways to
pay," Renatta said.
"The organisation was supposed
to make arrangements for her to get
the items back to Trinidad. Even
before she left for China we e-mailed
them and let them know.
"The luggage she has with her
contains her gown, shoes, costumes
and a lot of other sponsored items
which need to be returned."
Renatta described the situation as
a frustrating one for her sister.
"After the pageant there was a
gala ball. She woke up the following
morning, tried to call Vanessa, no
response. She went down to Miss
World International Office and they
tried to contact her but no response.
We are trying but it seems like we
are meeting a wall every step of the
Singh s flight from London should
reach Trinidad at 5 pm on Tuesday.
Luggage woes threaten return from China
Problems bedevil Miss T&T World to the end as...
Food vendors, customers
The blue Nissan Almera that was abandoned by Aqeed Medford at the corner of
Irving Street and Sutton Street, San Fernando, on Saturday night after gunman
opened fire on him and a passenger. PHOTO: KEVON FELMINE
Miss T&T World Kimberly Sarah Singh, second from left, with other
contestants on stage during the Miss World 2015 pageant Sanya, in China's
southern Hainan provence on Saturday. PHOTO: COURTESY MISS WORLD INC
In October, runner up Daniella
Walcott was announced as Singh's
replacement to represent T&T at
the Miss World pageant in China.
Kevin Ratiram, attorney for
Oneness Entertainment Trinidad
and Tobago Ltd, producers of the
Miss World T&T beauty pageant
and president of Oneness
Entertainment, Vanessa Sahatoo-
Manoo, issued a statement saying
that Singh's reign had been
The termination was due to an
alleged breach of her contract with
promoter, Oneness Entertainment
Trinidad and Tobago Ltd, which is
the national franchise holder for
Miss World Trinidad and Tobago
Singh filed legal action against
the local franchise holder,
contending that arbitration is the
way to resolve issues in the beauty
business. The arbitrator in the
matter ruled that she be reinstated
to the position of Miss World T&T.
Arbitrator Ernest Koylass SC,
ruled that whilst Singh did in fact
breach specific terms of the
beauty pageant agreement, such
breaches were not fundamental
enough to warrant her termination
as Miss World T&T.
She arrived in China in the first
week of December and
participated in the competition on
Yesterday evening, a post was
published to the Miss World T&T
Facebook page saying Sahatoo-
Manoo, was en route and did not
have access to communication.
The post said she was made
aware of the unfortunate issue
that Singh is facing with her
luggage in Sanya, China, and was
The post claimed that Singh was
given the necessary funds to cover
her approved luggage to Sanya and
back to Port-of-Spain before her
departure flight from Port-of-Spain.
"She was also given a stipend
and health insurance was
purchased for her as well. Mrs
Sahatoo-Manoo did not leave any
luggage with Kimberly. The
designer pieces that Mrs Sahatoo-
Manoo took with her is in Mrs
The post said Sahatoo-Manoo
would address this issue once she
arrives in the country.
After rat infestation...
PAGEANT HEAD RESPONDS
Links Archive December 20th 2015 December 22nd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page