Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 28th 2015 Contents "Bro Resistance" Masimba said:
"We always getting cuts whether
the economy is progressing or is
in recession. We
have to find ways
to juggle with
what we have.
want to give all
soca artistes the
the prize struc-
ture will remain
the same for the
titions and other
staged by Tuco."
Tuco assistant general secretary
Shirlaine Hendrickson said: "Our
general council decided, regardless
of the amount of the subvention,
we would not reduce the monarch
"We simply have to be creative
and cut our cloth accordingly.
Calypsonians are very resourceful
and creative people."
The much-travelled Hendrick-
son added that discussions were
in progress to decide on the shape
of the 2016 Dimanche Gras.
With the removal of the Carnival
Village, the main attraction at the
Queen s Park Savannah will be the
Tuco-managed Kaiso House
calypso tent, home of a number
of former national calypso mon-
archs like Chucky Gordon, Karene
Asche, Duane O Connor and
Singing Sandra. Completion of the
arts and crafts booths at this venue
is in an advanced stage.
Rosalind Gabriel, president of
the T&T Carnival Bands Associ-
ation (TTCBA), told the Guardian:
"Each band leader will have to do
what they have to do as far belt-
tightening is concerned...So far
the NCC has not divulged anything
about money, including what the
prize structures will be for the
many competitions in mas.
"We are hoping that we will
know what the prizes will be before
we register for the competitions."
Pan Trinbago will stage the first
Carnival 2016 competition---
National Panorama Single Pan
(East) preliminary---on January 8.
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Monday, December 28, 2015
very friendly and
loving light brown
around 5am on
December 20 2015
in the Diego Martin
area near Mary Ave.
680-7406 or 633-4220 with any information.
A reward of $1000.00 is offered for his safe return.
and imprisonment for
one (1) year. In either case the goods will be forfeited.
PETER RAY BLOOD
Heeding the Prime Minister s call
for prudent fiscal management, the
National Carnival Commission (NCC)
has scaled down on spending for Car-
nival 2016. The NCC has reduced the
Carnival budget by $60 million.
"From the NCC s perspective," said
chairman Kenny De Silva, "there will
be some downsizing for Carnival 2016.
We are trying to manage any excesses
that existed prior to 2016. However, in
terms of allocation there will be no
One bit of Carnival expenditure that
will be eliminated is the Carnival Village
which has been staged at the Queen s
Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain for the
past three years. De Silva confirmed:
"We simply don t have the money to
afford it although it was a very laudable
project. The budget for the Carnival
Village had an estimated ballpark figure
of $18 million."
Back at the helm of the NCC for a
third term, De Silva said: "This is my
tenth year (2001-2007; 2010-2011;
2016) in the chair so it feels like being
"I am trying to bring new things to
the table. I would like to do something
with Dimanche Gras as it doesn t have
the same appeal as it did before. At the
moment, we are in discussions with
producers and designers."
De Silva explained that the $60 mil-
lion deficit was not actually a reduction
in the Carnival budget; the money was
used to pay debts from last Carnival
(2015). Despite assurances by De Silva
that allocations to special interest
groups would be honoured, executive
members of Pan Trinbago are con-
cerned at their reduced allocation for
Pan Trinbago president Keith Diaz
said that Government should be invest-
ing more money into indigenous culture
with the ominous shadow of recession
hovering over the country.
"At a time of recession," said Diaz,
"culture and social funding should be
boosted. This goes a long
way in strengthening the
spirit of a people."
ment, Culture and the
Arts Minister Dr Nyan
held a meeting with the
Pan Trinbago executive,
and Diaz said that dis-
cussions were "frank and
He said: "The meeting
touched on a number of
areas concerning the
including the shortfall of
the allocation of prize money for
Panorama as well as assistance to steel-
bands and appearance fees. Next year
sees a record number of steelbands
registered for Panorama, 177 bands all
told, but there has not been an increase
in Panorama prizes for ten years.
"In 2015, Pan Trinbago was given
$34 million and that was for prize
money and the other incidentals of the
competition. This year we have an allo-
cation of $30 million. We will try to
pinch a little here and pinch a little
there but it is extremely difficult. We
can t cut prize money and assistance
to the steelbands. At this time, with
Carnival being so close, it is also very
very difficult to source assistance from
the corporate sector. I am saying thanks
to any corporate body for any assistance
they give to steelbands.
"The previous government never
gave us the money for the last Steelband
Music Festival. All we got was $3 mil-
lion. They also never gave us the balance
of $2 million for the International
Panorama. I am very displeased by this
as Pan Trinbago is in a deep bind.
"One positive thing though is that
Agriculture Minister Clarence Ramb-
harat kept his word and is at present
completing the restoration of Rio Claro
Koskeros panyard. To me that is a great
gesture he has done."
Trinbago Unified Calypsonians
Organisation (Tuco) president Lutalo
Cutbacks: No more Carnival Village
Pan Trinbago president Keith
Diaz said that Government
should be investing more
money into indigenous
culture with the ominous
shadow of recession
hovering over the country.
Links Archive December 27th 2015 December 29th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page