Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 4th 2016 Contents RHONDOR DOWLAT
Nathan Barcoo-Campo, 13, who was
severely chopped by a cutlass-wielding
bandit at his Las Lomas No.3 home on
December 27, yesterday succumbed to his
Barcoo-Campo was attacked by the bandit
as he heroically attempted to protect his
three-year-old sister, Rebecca, from the
intruder, who had viciously attacked his
mother Claudia, 41, moments before, and
was severely chopped on the head and body
during the ordeal.
The Form Two Trinity College East stu-
dent had been warded in critical condition
at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Com-
plex, Mt Hope, and was on life support until
he died at around midday yesterday.
His mother underwent facial repositioning
surgery on Tuesday and was subsequently
discharged. She was chopped multiple times
about the body and head.
But amidst all the family's grief yesterday,
the teen's father, O'Neil Barcoo-Campo,
48, said he bears no hate and holds no malice
towards the perpetrator or perpetrators of
"This is a disturbing situation and I do
not wish anyone into a situation like this.
Nathan's mother, despite her injuries, has
been recovering well. She is very strong and
was able to see her son moments before he
died. She and I, both, have accepted God's
will," Barcoo-Campo told the T&T Guardian.
Barcoo-Campo said that since his wife's
discharge from hospital she had been staying
at an undisclosed location with relatives.
"We are keeping her safe because we
really do not know the circumstances behind
the entire incident and therefore we do not
want to take any chances because we don't
know if the people are still around looking,"
Barcoo-Campo thanked family and friends
for the fervent prayers and continued sup-
port. "When this happened to Nathan and
his mom they were both covered with
prayers and I am very grateful for that," he
"Nathan was a very special child and
well-loved by all. He was visited by Pastor
Davis who prayed for him and us as well
while at his (Nathan's) bedside."
Barcoo-Campo said he was expected to
meet with police investigators today (Mon-
day) on the case, which will now become
a murder investigation as well.
Nathan's death has been recorded as the
third murder for 2016, as the New Year's
Day death of Rondel Ramnath, six, and pen-
sioner Alvina Warner, both of Beetham Gar-
dens, are yet to be classified by police inves-
tigators. Ramnath and Warner were allegedly
shot by gunmen who randomly opened fire
as they ushered in the New Year in the form
of "Happy Fire." (See page 4)
The incident occurred at about 6.30 pm
on December 27, when the suspect went to
Barcoo-Campo's house at Opal Avenue, Las
Lomas #3, and called out to Claudia, who
operates a plant business. The man had
expressed his interest in purchasing some
rose plants. Claudia reportedly took the
potential customer to the rose plant area,
but was instead brutally attacked.
Investigating officers said that as she
turned her back from the man, he whipped
out a cutlass and chopped her in the head,
face and body.
The suspect then entered the house and
attempted to get the keys to the family's
Nissan Tiida car but was confronted by
Nathan. During a struggle Nathan was dealt
several chops. The suspect then escaped in
the family's car.
Cpl Roach is investigating.
Monday, January 4, 2016 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
For breaking news, call 225-4465 Exts 2032, 2033 or email us at email@example.com
A 25-year-old man
was gunned down
while liming at party
at Moolchan Street,
Orcale Kerbie Smith,
25, an unemployed
father of two, died on
the spot after he was
shot by a gunman around 4 am.
Police reported that around 4.10 am they respond-
ed to reports of gunshots by villagers at Moolchan
Street. On arrival police found Smith in a pool of
blood with a gunshot wound to his chest.
Police said eyewitnesses said Smith was standing
on the road with friends when a lone gunman
approached him and began firing. Smith clutched
his chest and fell to the ground, where he died. His
friends scampered to safety while the gunman casu-
ally walked away.
Neighbours reported that they were awakened
by loud explosions but thought it was fireworks.
Many of the neighbours went to the Smiths' home
where they gave support to the family members.
District Medical Officer Dr Prince viewed the
body and ordered its removal to Sangre Grande
District Hospital mortuary, from where it will be
taken to the Forensic Science Centre, St James, for
a post mortem.
Visiting the scene were Insps Rayan Tom, Ken
Lutchman, Cpl Randy Castillo, PCs Rayan Charles,
Amit Samuel, Shiva Buchoon and WPCs Ria Tim-
othy and Swanders. Police investigators recovered
several spent shells at the crime scene.
The victim's sister, Pearl Smith, told the T&T
Guardian that she had hours earlier been liming at
a party not too far from their home. She said she
decided to return home around 2 am and tried to
get him to do the same but he refused. She said
hours later she received a call saying he had been
"I was in shock, I did not know what to say and
kept asking if Orcale was really dead. Only a few
hours before I was with my living brother having
fun and he is now dead. I still can't believe this,"
she said at the family's home.
Police said they had no motive for the killing,
but the deceased was well known by them. They
also recalled that Smith was shot sometime in 2012
and survived. Smith's younger brother Nicholas 22,
was also shot when he was 18 years but survived
The victim's father Lester Smith and mother
Kathleen Rochford were to distraught to speak. But
Pearl Smith said they were all living in fear as they
do not know if the attacker would return.
Cpl Samuel is continuing investigations.
Dad of slain teen not
angry at attacker
Partygoers take a selfie group shot during the Tribe ICE Carnival fete at Jean Pierre Complex, Port-of-Spain, on Saturday night.
PHOTO: SEAN NERO
TRIBE ICE SELFIE
for 31ST DECEMBER, 2015
We've accepted it as God's will
Man liming with
Links Archive January 3rd 2016 January 5th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page