Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 6th 2016 Contents A7
Wednesday, January 6, 2016 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
AVAILABLE AT ALL STORES
Like us on
KING, QUEEN, FULL & TWIN
1 Flat Sheet, 1 Fitted Sheet,
2 Pillow Cases
40% off all
One day after protesting La
Brea residents blocked several
roads demanding jobs and a bet-
ter road, workers began remedial
work on the dilapidated Southern
Councillor for Brighton/Vessigny
Gerald Debisette said the Ministry
of Works and Transport and the
Siparia Regional Corporation start-
ed work yesterday.
"The community was quiet and
things were back to normal today.
We were able to get the Siparia
Regional Corporation to clear the
debris from the side of the road.
I think the residents were very
pleased that they had the support
of their MP and three other mem-
bers of Parliament," Debisette said
by telephone yesterday.
When the T&T Guardian visited
the community yesterday, residents
seemed to be carrying on with
their usual activities. It was a con-
trast to Monday when they set up
18 roadblocks, several of which
were fiery heaps of debris.
The residents were angered over
the condition of the main road,
saying it caused damage to their
cars and passengers had to pay
higher fares. They added that
unemployment in the district was
too high. Hours into the protest,
they were visited by their MP
Nicole Olivierre along with Local
Government Minister Franklin
Khan, National Security Minister
Edmund Dillon and Communica-
tions Minister Maxie Cuffie.
Olivierre said work began since
last week to provide short-term
relief. She added that soil samples
were taken for analysis as Gov-
ernment was looking for a long-
term solution to repair the road
which continuously shifts due to
the movement of pitch.
Khan also said Government was
looking for non gas-based indus-
tries for the nearby Union Indus-
trial Estate to provide jobs for the
Further cuts may be made in the
budgetary allocations for Carnival
2016, says Community Development,
Culture and the Arts Minister Dr
Nyan Gadsby-Dolly yesterday.
Yesterday, Gadsby-Dolly and new
National Carnival Commission (NCC)
chairman Kenny de Silva, Pan Trinbago
president Keith Diaz and others toured
the designated area of the Queen s
Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain, to get
a first-hand view of the state of pre-
paredness for the events.
Gadsby-Dolly said she was confident
the venue would be ready in time for
the national festival, which is just one
month away. The parade of the bands
will take place on February 8 and 9.
Many of the major Carnival events,
including the Dimanche Gras, Parade
of the Bands and the Panorama finals
are to be staged at that venue before
the culmination of the festival.
Last month, the minister stated that
the 2015 budget of $314 million had
been decreased to $270 million. She
said then that the $44 million cut was
in keeping with reducing expenditure
in light of the dismal economic con-
Prime Minister Keith Rowley in an
address to the nation last week said
all ministries have been advised to cut
spending on projects to be determined
by seven per cent in the wake of pre-
vailing and projected economic con-
ditions in the country.
Gadsby-Dolly told reporters that
permanent secretaries in the various
ministries met "to discuss how we
could further streamline our budgets
with respect to the seven per cent."
She said the further cuts were going
to be addressed "in the coming weeks
with respect to what changes we need
The minister said though that Car-
nival was "well on the way and we
don t expect substantial changes to
Asked specifically if there will be
cuts, she said: "There may be." She
said the meeting in the coming days
will determine exactly what would be
She said despite the proposed cuts
"it will be an even better Carnival
because it will be their time (mas-
queraders) to exhale some of the stress
and the stringent conditions they may
She insisted that she did not think
the proposed reduction in allocations
"will make a very big difference in the
experience for the masquerader."
Gadsby-Dolly also said the possible
threat of swine flu affecting the festival
was a matter for Health Minister Ter-
rence Deyalsingh to comment on,
adding she had "heard nothing to sug-
gest we should be overly concerned."
She said the proposed cuts would
not affect security arrangements.
"When you talk about cuts in a min-
istry it s really cuts where you can
afford to and security is something
you can t afford to cut, you can t afford
to play with," she added.
Culture Minister hints of
tighter fiscal measures
$$ cuts likely
Day after fiery protests...
Calm returns to La Brea
Culture Minister Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly, right, during a tour of the designated
area at the Queen's Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain, with Carnival stakeholders
yesterday. PHOTO: MARCUS GONZALES
Motorists churn up dust as they move
along the Southern Main Road, La Brea,
yesterday. PHOTO: KRISTIAN DE SILVA
Links Archive January 5th 2016 January 7th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page