Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 7th 2016 Contents A 30-year-old Tunapuna man
accused of trafficking a minor and
inciting her into prostitution has
been granted $2 million bail.
Anthony Smith, a bar manager
from Tunapuna Road, El Dorado, was
given the hefty bail after he appeared
before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-
Caesar in the Port-of-Spain Magis-
trates Court yesterday to answer 21
criminal charges allegedly committed
against the minor between November
2014 and September last year.
The victim s name, age and nation-
ality were withheld by Ayers-Caesar
as required by the Children s Act and
Trafficking in Persons Act under
which the charges were laid. The leg-
islation defines a child as anyone
under the age of 18.
The father of three, who stood
silently with his head bowed in the
prisoners enclosure for the duration
of the hearing, was not called upon
to plead to the charges as they were
He was charged with five offences
for causing or inciting a child into
prostitution and 12 for sexually pen-
etrating the child, as well as three
charges for committing common
assault against the victim. He was
also accused of recruiting the child
for the purpose of human trafficking.
The charges are alleged to have
occurred at unknown dates during
the almost one-year period at various
locations, including a house at Dookie
Lane, Cane Farm, Arouca; Oropune
Gardens, Piarco, and once at the Hyatt
Regency Hotel, Port-of-Spain.
In applying for bail for his client,
Smith s lawyer Criston J Williams
attempted to assure Ayers-Caesar his
client would not abscond as he noted
his client had made himself available
to police since the alleged victim was
found by police at the Cane Farm
property last September.
He also requested that Ayers-Cae-
sar grant a cash alternative, as he said
his client was the sole provider for
his three children --- ages five to 11
--- and his wife, who is still in police
custody in relation to the investiga-
Police prosecutor, Insp Richard
Taylor, was opposed to bail as he
claimed Smith would be a flight risk
due to the serious nature of the
"It is our information that the
accused has still been in contact with
the victim and we would like to ensure
this does not continue," Taylor said.
Ayers-Caesar agreed that he should
be granted bail but denied his request
for a lesser cash alternative.
As part of his bail conditions, Smith
was ordered to surrender his passport,
to report to police twice weekly and
to not come within 100 metres of
the victim and to refrain from con-
tacting her via cellphone or social
media. He is also being represented
by Sean Sobers.
Smith is expected to reappear in
court on February 1.
Thursday, January 7, 2016 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
An image from yesterday's accident along the Caroni South Bank Road. It is the first recorded road death for
An unidentified man is dead and
a woman is in critical condition at
hospital after a Hilux van and a
truck, belonging to Seereeram
Brothers, collided along the Caroni
South Bank Road, Caroni, yester-
According to a police report, at
about 2.15 pm the driver of a brown
Hilux van, Bhagmatee Jogie-Ram-
logan, was proceeding along the
road when she collided with a truck
near Washington Junction. One of
the passengers in the van, an
unidentified man, died at the scene,
making him the first road fatality
for the year.
Jogie-Ramlogan was taken via
ambulance to the Eric Williams
Medical Sciences Complex Mount
Hope. She was said to be fighting
for her life last night.
A party of police officers from
the Caroni Police Station visited
the scene and are continuing inves-
$2m bail for human trafficking accused
Anthony Smith, centre, is escorted to the Port-of-Spain Magistrates'
Court after being slapped with 21 charges related to trafficking a minor
and inciting her into prostitution.
Two vehicles, a four-apartment
building and a business were
destroyed by fire following an arson
attack in Laventille yesterday.
Twelve people, including four chil-
dren --- aged two, nine, 10 and 11 ---
are now homeless.
Fire officials and investigating police
said the fire started when the two
vehicles --- a Tiida and a Kia --- were
firebombed. The blaze then spread to
the building, completely destroying
it.The building, which is located at
Picketville No 2, Laventille, also
housed a tailor shop. Fire officials
estimated the total damage at
Speaking to the T&T Guardian, one
of the victims, who wished not to be
identified, said at about 2.45 am she
was preparing meals for her children
for school when she heard a loud
She said when she looked outside
she saw the vehicles on fire and a
white car allegedly speeding away
from the scene.
She added she was scared for her
life as she was a victim of several
threats prior to the incident. She
added that she believed the incident
stemmed from an arrest made on
Tuesday in connection with the
Investigations are continuing.
after arson attack
Fire officers douse the burnt ruins of a home in Laventille following an arson
attack yesterday. Twelve people were homeless following the blaze.
PHOTO: MARCUS GONZALES
Man killed, woman critical after crash
Links Archive January 6th 2016 January 8th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page