Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 7th 2016 Contents A7
Thursday, January 7, 2016 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Traffic warden Mandisa Woods, 27, who was
knocked down while on duty in Port-of-Spain on
Tuesday, thanked God for saving her life.
Woods, a mother of two, expressed her gratitude
to close family members as they visited her at her
bedside after she was finally admitted into a ward
on Tuesday night after spending more than 11 hours
in the Accident and Emergency Department at the
Port-of-Spain General Hospital.
Speaking with the T&T Guardian yesterday,
Woods sister, Afua said her sister was in excruciating
"She is in good spirits but the pain sometimes is
unbearable for her. At this point in time she does
not wish to see anyone, including police officers.
She just wants to be alone.
"We all are praying for a full recovery for her and
hoping this does not leave her in too much trauma,"
Asked if she was visited by any official at the
Traffic Wardens Unit at the Ministry of Works and
Transport, Afua replied:
"I met with the Chief Traffic Warden Randolph
Protain who assured his support. He also promised
that Mandisa will be getting her salary as usual and
maybe a little more, so we will see how that goes."
Woods sustained a fractured leg, a fracture over
one of her eyes, gaping wounds under the buttocks
and leg and several other cuts and bruises about
her body when she was thrown into a glass pane
after being struck by an SUV while she was directing
traffic along Independence Square, Port-of-Spain,
at about 6.30 am on Tuesday.
The driver, a woman in a red Tucson SUV, was
proceeding east along Independence Square when
upon reaching the intersection at Abercromby Street
there was a collision with a white panel van.
This caused her vehicle to veer to the left hitting
Woods, who was thrown several feet into the air
and landed on the glass panel in front of Nicholas
There were also conflicting reports about the
accident, with one version claiming that one of the
vehicles was parked and the motorist in a panic
after the collision threw her vehicle in reverse and
continued on. However, the car stopped several feet
away from the scene and was later towed away.
The T&T Guardian was told no charges have been
laid as investigations into the incident are ongoing.
Police officers are also yet to take an official state-
ment from Woods.
PC Marcel of the Central Police Station is con-
Injured traffic warden
warded after 11 hours
Accused gang leader Rajaee Ali and 11
members of his organisation accused of
assassinating Senior Counsel Dana See-
tahal have succeeded in their bid to have
Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar
recuse herself from their preliminary
Ayers-Caesar agreed to step down from
the high profile case yesterday after Director
of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard,
SC, did not oppose the application from
the accused men, who claimed that she
may appear to be biased in hearing their
During the hearing in the Port-of-Spain
Eight Magistrates Court yesterday morning,
Gaspard said he was "mindful of the need
to protect the integrity of the trial process."
In their application, the accused ques-
tioned Ayers-Caesar s impartiality as they
claimed some of the officers of the Criminal
Gang and Intelligence Unit (CGIU) who
investigated Seetahal s murder were briefly
assigned to her security detail.
Ayers-Caesar had previously agreed to
recuse herself from Ali s separate case for
conspiring to murder radio announcer
Kevaughn "Lurbz" Savory in late 2014 on
the same ground.
Security in and around the St Vincent
Street courthouse was notably increased
yesterday with police officers, wearing bullet
proof vests and carrying assault rifles, at
strategic locations and traffic being diverted
from in front of the court, measures which
have become the norm on each hearing of
Only one family member for each of the
accused men was allowed in the courtroom
for the hearing.
Ali, his brothers, Ishmael and Hamid Ali;
Devaughn Cummings, Ricardo Stewart, Earl
Richards, Stephan Cummings, Kevin Parkin-
son, Leston Gonzales; Roget Boucher and
Gareth Wiseman are accused of murdering
Seetahal on May 4, 2014. Seetahal was driv-
ing alone Hamilton Holder Street in Wood-
brook when she was ambushed and shot
dead in her SUV.
Ali, Stacy Griffith, Deon Peters and David
Ector are on charges under the Anti-Gang
Act for assisting the group in the murder
but are not charged with the capital offence.
The accused men will reappear in court
on January 28.
self from Seetahal trial
Members of the
left, Imtiaz Ahamad,
Bisnath pose with
models from the
band, Call To Duty,
during the media
launch at More
Vino, San Fernando,
on Tuesday to
highlight their sixth
Fernando. It will be
held on January 17
at the college
Links Archive January 6th 2016 January 8th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page