Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 9th 2015 Contents A6
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Saturday, January 9, 2016
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT
IS TEMPORARILY LOCATED AT
THREE STAR SPORTSWEAR
(BOUNDARY ROAD, SAN JUAN)
CALL 755-9282 OR EMAIL TO:
The number drawn yesterday (January 8,
2016) on the CNC3 News for the Money Mania
promotion was 791574.
Our Money Mania promotion team is now
in search of a new winner!
If the number at the back of your Friday
T&T Guardian was 791574 you have won $2,500
You have until 3 pm Monday to come to the
T&T Guardian's head office, Rodney Road,
Endeavour, Chaguanas, with the newspaper
containing the winning number (in the order
it was drawn), and photo identification to claim
Remember to keep your "today's, Sunday
and Monday paper" and tune in to Monday's
CNC3 News to find out if you have won.
Caribbean Prestige Foundation for the
Performing Arts chairman Peter Scoon
says the executive will do everything in
their power to ensure the integrity of the
Lotto Plus International Soca Monarch
contest is preserved and the event remains
free of bias and rigging of results.
"Corruption and rigging of scores must
not happen under my watch and will never
happen under my watch, because I don't
even want to see the results. The judging
criterion is set! I am not interested in seeing
the results until it comes out. That has
given me a lot of confidence in the show,"
Scoon told the T&T Guardian following
yesterday's draw for semi-final appearances
at the National Lotteries Control Board
(NLCB) booth at the Queen's Park Oval,
Port-of-Spain, where he said the producers
of the celebrated contest expected the usual
quality and excellence despite the fact that
the results will be announced the day after
the event this year.
Seventy contestants will take the Queen's
Park Savannah stage in the semi-final on
January 17 from 4 pm.
Entertainer Dillon "Salty" Charles drew
position number one, while Dexter "Blaxx"
Stewart will take centre-stage as contestant
18. Guardian Media Limited's Nesta "Sekon
Sta" Boxill pulled position 7, while Denise
"Saucy Wow" Belfon comes seven places
later at 14.
When the curtain comes down on that
exciting round of competition 15 premium
final spots will be filled. Then all attention
will turn to Fantastic Friday at the Hasely
Crawford Stadium, in Woodbrook, on Feb-
Despite the Government's decision to
reduce its investment in the competition,
the first prize remains at $1 million. While
last year's Power Monarch Machel Montano
will not be defending his title, Groovy
Monarch Olatunji Yearwood will be entering
Scoon expressed confidence that retaining
the standard of Fantastic Friday could be
maintained despite the agitation of a few
"rabble-rousers" over the organising team's
decision to revert to a single contest, as
opposed to retaining the category format.
In his view, the category option is not
a solution. He gave his view on the
"It has never been. What is the definition
of groovy? Music I can groove to? So you
are telling me that I can groove to something
that is 140 beats per minute (bpm)? What
is to stop an artiste from recording a song
at 134 bpm and speeding it up to 140 (bpm)
and making it a power?" he asked.
"It is not a right definition and separation
for calling our music groovy and power.
Nobody--not even the judges, none of the
soca artistes--could tell me what it is. Every-
body will give you a different answer."
He added, "My theory is, soca is soca.
At 25 bpm, at 160 bpm, let's judge the
music. I'm only interested in the music. I
don't think there is a loss of public con-
fidence in the programme. There are some
individuals who want to stick to the status
quo--who want their power and their
groovy--but they are getting it in one com-
petition, singing what you want. If ten
groovy songs come in (to the final) so be
it. If ten power songs come in, so be it!
Addressing public perception that Fan-
tastic Friday could lose its appeal with the
absence of so many top-tier acts such as
Montano, Ian "Bunji Garlin" Alvarez and
Fay-Ann Lyons Alvarez, Scoon said, "Listen,
Soca Monarch has always been a breeding
ground for the building of stars. Machel
has been around 30-plus years. Machel
was in Soca Monarch in the early days and
he bowed out. Machel came back at an
opportune time and won four or five times
and he bowed out to give opportunity for
the younger ones to develop. We are about
the development of the industry."
Contractors and employees who have been
with the Community-based Environmental
Protection and Enhancement Programme
(CEPEP) for the past five years may soon
face the threat of dismissal, Public Utilities
Minister Ancil Antoine said yesterday.
He made the announcement following a
meeting with newly-appointed members of
the CEPEP board at the Ministry of Public
Utilities, Woodbrook, saying the board had
been mandated to undertake an immediate
review of all contracts and make a determi-
nation on the way forward. No deadlines have
been set for this exercise to be completed
Antoine also promised that an audit would
be done into CEPEP's operations during the
past five years.
The decision also follows on the heels of a
recent announcement by the Housing Devel-
opment Corporation to review the CEPEP
contracts issued under the Ministry of Housing
and Urban Development.
CEPEP chairman Trevor Lynch confirmed
that advertisements were placed in the news-
papers within the last two weeks, advising
people to submit their applications within the
stipulated time frame.
During the media briefing yesterday, Antoine
said each application would be carefully vetted
and "if it was not in keeping with the original
concept of CEPEP, you should no longer be
Pointing out that CEPEP was originally
introduced to help create entrepreneurs, he
said, "The original concept of CEPEP was one
where entrepreneurs from the community
were supposed to be created using the format
of the CEPEP contract and after a period of
time, these entrepreneurs would be able to
move into the private sector and cease being
He said the board had been asked to review
contracts to see if this had in fact been hap-
"If you have been a CEPEP contractor for
five-plus years you should no longer be in
CEPEP," he said.
"You should have moved on into a new
phase in the process of being an entrepreneur.
You should now be able to function in the
private environment and now be an entrepre-
neur and be a businessman or businesswoman."
Pressed to say how many people were facing
a possible axe, Antoine said he was unable to
provide an exact figure.
Instead, he said, "The situation will have
to be reviewed and given the price of oil...the
Prime Minister has already indicated that he
is looking at CEPEP and URP and if downsizing
is necessary, it would be done."
Sidestepping the question of ghost gangs
and how they intended to tackle the issue,
Antoine said he was not aware of any such
groups existing within the organistion.
On the plans by Prime Minister Dr. Keith
Rowley to elevate CEPEP workers from per-
forming only roadside cleaning operations to
agricultural development, Antoine said, "There
are different parts of CEPEP as there are per-
sons who work in utilities and those in agri-
Revealing plans to stimulate economic activ-
ity and generate revenue with the creation of
teak and mahogany forests, the minister said,
"Part of the new concept of CEPEP would be
identifying areas in T&T where we can put
forward proposals for the future development
CEPEP was allocated just over $600 million
to conduct operations for the period 2015/2016
and Antoine said while it was not enough, it
would have to do as they sought to re-focus
and re-tool the future of the company.
Meanwhile, Antoine said the cause of Tues-
day's fire at the Water and Sewerage Authority
(WASA) head office in St Joseph remained
unknown as investigations were continuing.
Asked to provide an update, he assured that
while no employees were sent home as a result,
the blaze had inconvenienced members of the
public as the building remained closed.
Having visited the scene shortly after the
blaze broke out, Antoine said no one would
be allowed to re-enter the structure until the
all-clear was given by the fire officials.
Claiming that he had been kept abreast of
what has been happening, Antoine refused to
speculate on whether or not the fire had been
deliberately set in a bid to destroy evidence
which could incriminate certain contractors
hired by WASA in the past.
Questioned about the possible loss of sen-
sitive files, documents and electronic evidence,
Antoine assured that back-up files were kept
at various locations.
Antoine orders contractor review
CEPEP cuts coming
Soca Monarch integrity will remain---exec
Former Junior Soca Monarch Jeremy Rodriguez has fun with veteran soca artist Neil
"Iwer" George during yesterday's Lotto Plus International Soca Monarch draw for semi-
final appearances at the National Lotteries Control Board (NLCB) Hospitality Suite at the
Queen's Park Oval, Port-of-Spain. PHOTO: SEAN NERO
Money Mania Cash
jackpot at $2,500
Links Archive January 8th 2016 January 10th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page