Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 15th 2016 Contents A14
The Police Service s "Wrong Mix: Alcohol
& Lyrics" iRoadsafe Public Awareness cam-
paign has been endorsed by several local
artistes and entertainers.
A media release issued on Wednesday said
the message from the Police Service was for
revellers to party in groups and should they
drink, to have a designated driver or arrange
for transportation services to reduce carnage
on the nation s roads.
The organisation plans a series of public serv-
ice announcements to promote responsible alco-
hol consumption by fete-goers and safe road
use during the upcoming Carnival season.
To support this message of road safety, Traffic
Branch head Senior Superintendent Beverly
Lewis said there were 145 deaths recorded from
128 road traffic accidents last year.
She said this during Wednesday s weekly
media briefing at the Police Administration
Eleven motorcyclists were killed during that
Up to late yesterday, there were six road
deaths already recorded for this year which is
three more than last year s corresponding peri-
od.The release added that the campaign was intro-
duced for Carnival 2015 and re-launched in Decem-
Supporting artistes are Bunji Garlin, Fay-Ann
Lyons Alvarez, reigning Chutney Soca Monarch
Rikki Jai, reigning Groovy Soca Monarch Olatunji
Yearwood, Blaxx from Roy Cape, Crazy and Lyrical,
the release said.
Nutron, Voice and Teddyson John of St Lucia
are also in the line-up.
The campaign is supported by Trinbago
Unified Calypsonian Organisation, Copy-
right Music Organisation of T&T, Arrive
Alive and Beverage Alcohol Alliance.
There seems to be some confusion on whether 480
permanent employees who were fired by steel producer
ArcelorMittal last December will be returning to work
Last Monday, Steel Workers Union (SWUTT) president
Christopher Henry announced that the company agreed
to have workers resume duty at its Point Lisas plant.
This followed a meeting between both parties at the
Ministry of Labour, St James Street, San Fernando.
However, in a paid advertisement on Wednesday,
the company said it was "incorrect to say that Arcelor-
Mittal, Point Lisas Ltd, has agreed to have 1,500
workers show up for work on January 18."
When contacted for clarification, Arcelor-
Mittal s communications department said
that media relations were being done by
Lisa-Ann Joseph but she said she was
not authorised to speak on behalf of the
Asked whether workers would return
on January 18 and for an update on the
status of the company, she referred to
the advertisement published in Wednes-
day s newspapers.
SWUTT general secretary Lancelot
Smart, in a brief interview, maintained
that the company agreed to have 480
workers return to work next Monday.
He said the headline of the advertisement
was a contradiction of what they were
told at the meeting.
"We were told in a meeting on Monday
that the 480 workers that were laid off
on December 7 would return to the plant
on January 18. These are permanent
workers, which includes operators, admin-
istrative workers and every aspect of the
plant down to security.
"The headline of that ad itself is a con-
tradiction because we were told that 480
workers would be returning to work. For
them to come and say they will not be
returning to work, it cannot be true," Smart
In March 2015, 1,000 contract employees
working at ArcelorMittal s port were sent
home but the company said it was because
the agreement with one of the service
providers had expired.
On December 7, 480 workers were sent
home after the plant was shutdown.
The company blamed the retrenchment
on the oversupply of steel in the global mar-
ket, which had decreased orders for its Direct
Reduce Iron (DRI).
President of the Energy Chamber Dr
Thackwray Driver supported the company s
claim, saying that steel producers around the
world were suffering the same fate because
the market was saturated with cheap Chi-
The company and SWUTT met for a
hearing at the Industrial Court, Port-of-
Spain, on Wednesday.
Smart said there were new develop-
ments taking place and the public would
be made aware soon.
Reigning Chutney Soca Monarch Rikki Jai on board
the Police Service road safety campaign.
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Friday, January 15, 2016
Links Archive January 14th 2016 January 16th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page