Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 21st 2016 Contents A4
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Thursday, January 21, 2016
6 cops finally
Afters spending four nights in prison on
remand, six police officers accused of a string
of criminal offences have finally managed to
secure their bail.
Although the six officers, last assigned to the
North Eastern Division Task Force, were granted
a total of $4.5 million in bail on Monday, their
relatives were unable to obtain approval of their
documents required to secure their release.
During a brief hearing in the Port-of-Spain
Magistrates Court yesterday, their lawyer Vince
Charles asked Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-
Caesar to clarify the discrepancy.
Ayers-Caesar acceded to Charles request, clear-
ing the way for the Clerk of the Peace 3 at the
courthouse to approve the officers bail.
The officers: Steve Williams, 35, of Heights of
Guanapo Road, Arima; Brandon Thompson, 25,
of Seeyjagat Trace, Tumpuna Road, Arima; Ronald
Samuel, 32, of Duncan Trace, San Juan; Kevon
Patrick, 30, of Kingdom Avenue, Bypasss Road,
Arima; Ryan Grandison, 27, of Tunip Lane, La
Horquetta; and Dion Ottley, 31, of Bon Air
Gardens, Arouca, are charged with a com-
bined 46 offences.
Williams, Thompson, Samuel and Patrick
are charged with misbehaviour in office,
false imprisonment of four people and rob-
bing one of them of $53,000 and $4,200
worth of jewelery. The offences allegedly
took place on January 5 at Kelly Village,
Williams, Grandison and Ottley are charged
with threatening to charge falsely three people
for possession of cocaine, marijuana and a gun.
The officers were also charged with robbing one
of the trio of $125,000 and $55,000 worth of jew-
All offences took place on December 12, last
year, at Frederick Settlement, Caroni. Ottley faced
two separate charges of attempting to pervert the
course of justice on December 13 at the Santa
Cruz Police Station and on December 12, last year.
They will reappear in court on February 15.
A 61-year-old man died at the
Sangre Grande District Health Facility yesterday,
making him the sixth victim of the H1N1 virus,
since the first reported death last year.
Jewan Maharaj died after spending 18 days in
the Intensive Care Unit of the facility, due to com-
plications from a combination of hypertension
and the H1N1 influenza, also known as swine flu.
The Health Ministry reported Maharaj s death
in a release yesterday and reminded citizens to
begin taking preventative measures.
"At this time, we take the opportunity to remind
citizens that influenza can cause severe illness in
some persons, including the elderly, infants, young
children and pregnant women as well as those
with chronic medical conditions, such as heart,
lung, kidney disease, hypertension and diabetes,"
The release said the virus could be spread when
an infected person coughed or sneezed and droplets
containing viruses get into the air and were inhaled
by people nearby.
"People can also become infected by touching
surfaces contaminated with flu viruses and then
touching their eyes, mouth or nose," the release
It urged the public to prevent the spread of
infectious diseases, like influenza, by covering
their mouth and nose with a tissue when
coughing or sneezing.
It also advised citizens to wash hands
with soap and water regularly, avoid close
contact with people who have flu-like
symptoms and seek immediate medical
attention if they had difficulty breathing,
chest tightness, the inability to eat or drink,
persistent vomiting, or confusion.
The ministry said safe and effective vaccines
that could prevent influenza or reduce the severity
of illness were available at local health centres and
citizens seeking those were asked to contact their
local health centre or Regional Health Authority
to set an appointment.
"Vaccination is especially important for people
at higher risk of serious complications of influenza
and for people who live with or care for high risk
"After vaccination, persons still ought to take
preventative measures to reduce the spread of
viruses," it added.
Two men killed in
Two people, including an American citizen, were
killed in separate accidents on Tuesday night.
Police said the American, identified as Cecil White,
died in a collision at the turn off to the Trincity
Mall, Churchill-Roosevelt Highway, after the vehicle
in which he was a passenger was struck by a pickup
Investigators said the accident took place around
11.40 pm. White died on the scene.
In a separate incident, a Mayaro painter was killed
instantly after he crashed at Stone Bright Village.
Rennie Cuffy, 49, died on the spot when his
Nissan AD wagon crashed into a wall around 11.45
Mayaro police spotted a silver Nissan AD wagon
crashed into a wall on the eastern side of the road-
Officers found Cuffy slumped behind the steering
wheel. He was said to be from Guayaguayare Road,
Cpl Samuel of the Mayaro police is investigat-
Cuffy s death brings the road toll to ten so far for
2016 according to Police Traffic Branch.
Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh said
citizens could go to health centres to obtain
free H1N1 vaccine since T&T now had more
vaccines than last year.
Replying to Opposition questions in
Parliament yesterday, he said the ministry
had obtained 40,000 vaccines where there
were only 10,000 last year.
He said there were now six H1N1 deaths,
latest being a 61-year-old man who was in
the "at risk" category and was overweight
Deyalsingh said deaths due to viral
pneumonia were really due to H1N1. H1N1
testing took one to two weeks and if a
patient was suspected of having it, they
should start on Tamiflu and ensure friends
and relatives were vaccinated, he added.
Deyalsingh was unable to say if
Government planned to build a health centre
at Tableland. He said a review to determine
health centre needs in T&T would be
completed in the next three months. --- GA
More vaccines available,
Links Archive January 20th 2016 January 22nd 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page