Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 25th 2016 Contents A14
GML ENTERPRISE DESK
Time is running out for T&T
national Tariq Shamoon Mohammed
who has been detained in Saudi Ara-
bia since August 24, last year.
Under Saudi law a person can be
detained for six months without being
charged, and what is even more wor-
rying now for the family is that Tariq
has been transferred from the detention
centre in Qasim where they were able to
talk to him regularly on the phone.
Tariq s aunt, Nafessa Mohammed, said his wife
Saudah, who is six months pregnant, received infor-
mation that Tariq had been transferred one week
ago to Asir in south western Saudi Arabia.
Asir is an agricultural community near Yemen.
But they have been unable to speak with him and
have no information on why he was moved.
Mohammed said Saudah is "very worried about
her husband." The couple have another son. Tariq s
parents are also deeply concerned about their son
and Mohammed said they want Foreign Affairs Min-
ister Dennis Moses to say "what is being done at
the diplomatic level to secure Tariq s release."
Moses told the GML Enterprise Desk that his Min-
istry "has been persevering to get some up to date
information on Tariq s status." He said the last cor-
respondence which they received was dated Decem-
ber 15 "it was one of the few responses
we received in the face of many
attempts on our part to get informa-
tion," he said.
Mohammed meantime is renewing
a call for a foreign affairs officer to be
assigned to Tariq s case. She said this
country has always had good relations
with Saudi Arabia and given that time is
running out there is now a greater need for
urgency to deal with the matter. Mohammed
said "we are just hoping and praying that
he is not charged."
Moses said there are "established channels
which are being utilised and we have no further
information at this time."
He admitted to being "very concerned" and
said he "empathised" with Tariq s family, but he
said information has been hard to get "we are
trying on a number of fronts to get more infor-
mation to see what assistance we can render. It is
not a simple matter and we will continue to per-
Prior to being transferred to Asir, Tariq had told
his relatives that officials had spoken with him and
told him his file was being sent to Riyadh the capital
of Saudi Arabia where the seat of government resides.
Tariq was detained on August 24, last year on his
return to Saudi Arabia after spending vacation with
his family in Trinidad. He is a final year student of
Arabic Studies at the University of Medina.
His wife Saudah and their son were allowed to
CHARLES KONG SOO
President of the Chinese Association Clyde
Allum says members of the various associations
and Chinese community have expressed their
concern over the killing of a Chinese national at
his business place in Arima.
They also hope that the case is also solved as
swiftly as possible.
Chong Cao, of Tumpuna Road, La Hor-
quetta, was killed by a gunman in front
his restaurant Zhong Guo Cheng Chi-
nese Restaurant and Bar, on January 16.
Speaking in an interview on Saturday,
Allum said, "We re concerned about the
attacks, its not the first.
"I don t know if they re targeting Chi-
nese, but it has to be of some concern
for the committee and members of the
"I would like to urge them to be more
"This is something the
Chinese Embassy and the
other Chinese associa-
tions had urged them to
do after the last incident."
Chinese national Hi
Hong Huang, 35, was
fatally shot as he strug-
gled with two bandits
during a robbery outside
his business, the Happi-
ness Supermarket, at Southern Main Road, Curepe,
on April 7, last year.
Allum said there was a committee set up to go
out to the Chinese community and businessmen
around the country to urge them to be more careful.
He said he also urged Trinidadians on the whole
to be careful on how they leave for their work or
business places, reach home, to be observant and
vigilant in their every day dealings.
Allum said one of the committee s recommen-
dations last year was for businessmen to hire a
reputable security company to deposit their money
in the bank instead of running the risk of trans-
porting it themselves.
He said the security issue must be resolved and
he hoped the police can solve the case shortly.
On January 19, Chinese Ambassador Huang
Xingyuan met with National Security Minister
Edmund Dillon where he spoke about the recent
murder of Cao.
Huang said that the Chinese Embassy and people
in T&T were shocked by the murder and are worried
about the current security situation.
He said he hoped the ministry could pay high
attention on this case, bring justice to the murderer
and take "efficient measures" to safeguard the life
and property of Chinese people in T&T.
In light of the recent visit of the Chinese Par-
liamentary delegation from January 21 to 23, Allum
said the killings will certainly be of a concern for
anyone who was looking to invest in T&T.
Tariq Shamoon Mohammed
body calls for
After murder of restauranteur
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Monday, January 25, 2016
"I would like to urge them to be more
cautious in their comings and goings.
"This is something the Chinese
Embassy and the other Chinese
associations had urged them to do
after the last incident."
Links Archive January 24th 2015 January 26th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page