Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 26th 2016 Contents A54
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, January 26, 2016
DUBAI---Brian Lara believes recently retired
West Indies batsman Shiv Chanderpaul should
have been afforded the time to make a graceful
exit from the game.
Hailing Chanderpaul as one of the "giants of
West Indies cricket", Lara said he was disappointed
the 41-year-old had been axed from the Test
team without having the opportunity to have a
"Shiv, who played since 1994, had a tremendous
career. I started with Shiv in Guyana and remem-
ber his first Test match against England," Lara
"That guy with the most Test matches for the
West Indies, playing for over 20 years, I don t
think people in the West Indies understand exactly
"I was very disappointed that Shiv was not
allowed a couple of more Test matches, not nec-
essarily to break the record but to have a proper
send-off. Something I think he is very disap-
pointed (about) and unfortunately that did not
Chanderpaul s form came under the microscope
after he managed just 91 runs in three Tests
against South Africa last year January and 92
runs in a similar three-Test series against England
In announcing the left-hander s sacking ahead
of Australia s tour of the Caribbean last May,
chief selector Clive Lloyd said Chanderpaul s
decline in form had been "rapid" and selectors
had opted to focus on younger players.
Overall, Chanderpaul pummelled 11 867 runs
from 164 Tests at an average of 51, with 30 cen-
Though known for his patient, attritional bat-
ting, Chanderpaul piled up 8778 runs from 268
One-Day Internationals at an average of 41.
Lara said he was a big admirer of Chanderpaul
throughout his career.
"He has been a great servant for West Indies
cricket and he has done some tremendous things
throughout his career, and credit must be given
to the man for how he has played," said Lara,
who is here to play in the Masters Champions
"When I do have the opportunity to give him
a call and thank him, I will because for me he
was one of the giants of West Indies cricket."
Meanwhile, cricket s world governing body, the
ICC, has praised Chanderpaul as "a role model
In a release yesterday, the ICC noted: "Shiv-
narine Chanderpaul will be remembered as a reli-
able and extremely effective batsman. He was
remarkable with the way he could adapt to his
style, mixing solid defence and attack, to the
demands of the situation," ICC Chief Executive
David Richardson said.
"For nearly two decades, Shivnarine not only
excelled with the bat but with his sporting attitude
and quiet determination became a role model for
millions of youngsters."
Chanderpaul scored 30 Test centuries and fin-
ished with an average of 51.
He also served as West Indies captain, leading
the regional side in 14 Tests.
His career was effectively ended last May when
West Indies selectors axed him ahead of Aus-
tralia s tour of the Caribbean, following failures
against South Africa and England. (CMC)
BRIDGETOWN---Captain Jason Holder is at a
loss to explain Barbados Pride s poor showing
in the final of the Regional Super50 last Satur-
The star-studded side, boasting 10 current and
former West Indies players, went down by 72 runs
to reigning champions Trinidad and Tobago Red
Force in a lopsided affair at Queen s Park Oval.
"I can t really put my finger on it at the moment.
We just weren t good enough in the field ... I
reckon we gave away about 40 runs and really
paid for it in the end," Holder said.
"It s tough in a final to make so many mistakes
and come out winning the game at the end of
the day so we just need to tighten up on that in
Winning the toss and opting to bowl, Pride
were ragged in the field, allowing Red Force to
reach 270 for seven off their 50 overs.
West Indies batsman Darren Bravo top-scored
with 97 while Barbadian opener Kyle Hope got
34 and captain Jason Mohammed, 31.
In reply, Pride slumped to 31 for four in the
tenth over and never really recovered, eventually
bundled out for 198 in the 43rd over. Shai Hope
made a patient 50 while Carlos Brathwaite blasted
an attacking 46 from 32 balls.
"We didn t get off to a good start with the bat
so we just had to, in a sense, rebuild in the middle
and we never quite got it going," Holder explained.
He added: "When you re chasing 270-odd on
these types of pitches you need a good start, you
need to keep wickets in hand and we didn t do
that. We had an unfortunate collision on the field
[between Shane Dowrich and Ashley Nurse] and
Shane Dowrich was pretty much out of it after-
"He had to go to hospital while we were batting
so he had to bat down the order which is a tough
decision for us because obviously he has been
very good for us.
"I thought we were doing pretty good in the
middle. It was a top innings there from Carlos
Brathwaite. I thought he really came and showed
how we should play on this track and how to put
pressure on these bowlers but it s just a situation
where we never got the partnerships going."
Holder was one of several West Indies players
who joined the Pride squad at the half-way stage
of the tournament, following the tour of Australia.
Likewise, Bravo also returned to strengthen the
Red Force duty following West Indies duty, reeling
off three half-centuries in as many innings, and
Holder believed he was the difference for the
"We didn t bowl too badly. I think the ball went
into some pretty tight spots in terms of not going
to the fielders where we set them and I think we
just need to be a little more precise when we set
fields," he pointed out. "But credit to the way
Darren played, he was outstanding. At that stage
he came in, he knew he had to build an innings
and be there at the end and he batted deep into
the innings which was good for them." (CMC)
ban reduced to
Eight-time national women s
badminton player Nekeisha Blake
is set to return to the court in
August after a lifetime ban was
reduced to one year by the
Appeals Committee on Friday.
After a series of altercations
with members of the T&T Bad-
minton Association (T&TBA) last
year, Blake was initially handed a
lifetime ban by the T&TBA
through its Disciplinary Committee
which took effect on August 20,
2015 and arose out of seven charges
preferred by Blake s club FMT and
Blake and her team of lawyers
took the matter to an Appeals
Committee stating it was a breach
of natural justice and the Disci-
plinary Committee failed to clearly
state the reason why she was
Following a hearing on January
9, the decision was handed down
by the Appeals Committee on Fri-
day which reduced the ban to one
year. The ban is retroactive and
will end on August 19.
In a brief phone interview yes-
terday, Blake said she was happy
the ban was reduced to one year,
but was still disappointed. Blake
said, "A ban is still a ban, but I
give God thanks for everything. I
am weighing my options at the
Blake, who said she will con-
tinue to maintain her fitness,
added, "Badminton is the love of
my life but I am keeping busy with
other ventures while I continue to
trust in God."
Blake has represented T&T for
the past 17 years, representing T&T
at regional and international level.
Before making its decision on
the seven charges against Blake,
the Disciplinary Committee
reviewed submissions of the board
of the TTBA, executives of FMT
and examined other relevant doc-
uments in its review.
The charges against Blake
include not maintaining respect
and consideration towards coaches,
administrators, volunteers, officials
and other athletes and refusing to
obey orders from a head coach
She was also charged with fail-
ing to comply with the board s
request to apologise to the head
coach, vexatious and frivolous
grievance assault which sought to
intimidate the head coach and
allowed for Police investigation.
Transgender athletes should be
allowed to compete in the Olympics
and other international events
without undergoing sex reassign-
ment surgery, according to new
guidelines adopted by the IOC.
International Olympic Committee
medical officials said on Sunday they
changed the policy to adapt to cur-
rent scientific, social and legal atti-
tudes on transgender issues.
The guidelines are designed as
recommendations---not rules or reg-
ulations---for international sports
federations and other bodies to fol-
low and should apply for this year s
Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
"I don t think many federations
have rules on defining eligibility of
transgender individuals," IOC med-
ical director Dr Richard Budgett said.
"This should give them the confi-
dence and stimulus to put these rules
Under the previous IOC guide-
lines, approved in 2003, athletes who
transitioned from male to female or
vice versa were required to have reas-
signment surgery followed by at least
two years of hormone therapy in
order to be eligible to compete.
Now, surgery will no longer be
required, with female-to-male trans-
gender athletes eligible to take part
in men s competitions "without
Meanwhile, male-to-female trans-
gender athletes will need to demon-
strate that their testosterone level
has been below a certain cutoff point
for at least one year before their first
"It is necessary to ensure insofar
as possible that trans athletes are
not excluded from the opportunity
to participate in sporting competi-
tion," the IOC said in a document
(pdf) posted on its website that out-
lines the guidelines.
"The overriding sporting objective
is and remains the guarantee of fair
"To require surgical anatomical
changes as a precondition to par-
ticipation is not necessary to preserve
fair competition and may be incon-
sistent with developing legislation
and notions of human rights," it
The guidelines, first reported by
Outsports.com, were approved after
a meeting in November 2015 in Lau-
sanne, Switzerland, of Olympic offi-
cials and medical experts.
Budgett said there were no plans
for the guidelines to be sent for
approval by the IOC executive board.
"This is a scientific consensus
paper, not a rule or regulation," he
said. "It is the advice of the medical
and scientific commission and what
we consider the best advice."
Chanders deserved proper send-off
Pride performance leaves Holder stumped
IOC rules transgender athletes can take part in Rio Olympics
T&T batsman Darren Bravo shows off his
trophies for most runs and man-of-the-match
in the Nagico Super50 series which ended
with a win for T&T Red Force over Barbados
at the Queen's Park Oval on Saturday.
PHOTO COURTESY WINDIESCRICKET.COM
Links Archive January 25th 2016 January 27th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page