Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 1st 2016 Contents A4
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Monday, February 1, 2016
A A -
Neeta Madhoo, 14 held up a placard begging
Minister of Works Fitzgerald Hinds to fix a land-
slide near her home at Basta Hall, Couva.
She was accompanied by her grandmother Seero-
manie and young relatives who are worried their
education will be disrupted if the roadway continues
to cave in, splitting the village in two and forcing
taxi drivers to travel longer distances to get passengers
to their destination.
The family are accusing the Works Min-
ister of ignoring their plight since he recent-
ly visited nearby Talparo for a similar land-
slip, but failed to show up there.
"He knows about it, the MP for the area
and the councilor knows about it. They
have told us they sent information to the
minister. Why he has not come here yet
and my home could go down with the road
anyday now," Madhoo said.
The landslip, which occurred last Decem-
ber 29,has widened to more than half the
roadway and will affect more than 2000
residents. Hinds, who was contacted by
the T&T Guardian when the landslip start-
ed, said at that time he was unaware of
the problem and would investigate. How-
ever, he has not responded to calls on the
matter since then
The Madhoo family of four adults and
eight children, live in a two storey structure
adjacent to the area that has caved in. Mad-
hoo's son, Nicholas, said he worries, about
unsuspecting motorists at night.
Residents have also placed yellow caution
tape to mark the affected spot, in the hopes
that this too would alert drivers
"Two warning signs is all they come and
put here and not even properly, a driver
could be down in the hole before he knows
what hit him, because the signs were placed
too close to the landslip," he said.
Couva South MPRudranath Indarsingh
has blamed the on-going issue on discrim-
ination by the present administration. He
accused Government of "starving PP constituencies"
of funds for developmental projects and emergencies.
However, his claims have been refuted by Minister
of Local Government Franklyn Khan.
"That is absolutely not true. We've done the
budget for the entire 14 corporations and the capital
allocated is in or around the same figure, give or
take a few thousands. We have experienced some
cash flow constraints and in the coming months
we hope to address this issue, so to say PNM areas
are getting money to do projects and not PP is def-
initely not the truth," he said.
Khan said he is aware of the landslip at Basta
"I saw a letter on the matter, it falls under the
Works Ministry but we are all one government we
are not passing the buck, I will check to see what
we can do to add some urgency in addressing the
issue," he said.
Officials of the the National Operations Centre
(NOC) yesterday spearheaded a massive joint
army/police/prison exercise at the Port-of-Spain
Prison on Frederick Street.
The exercise, which started at around 9 am, was
said by sources to be a response to a request for a
search of the prison facilities for contraband items.
According to reports, NOC personnel contacted senior
police officers yesterday requesting assistance to con-
duct inquiries at the prison.
The resulting lockdown, which affected areas
around the prison compound, including Frederick
and Abercomby Streets, lasted for several hours. A
helicopter provided aerial surveillance for the duration
of the exercise.
Village in danger of
being split in two
o o t o
Coast Guard officials seized an estimated
$15 million in cocaine on Saturday night
in the Gulf of Paria.
At around 8.30 pm, Coast Guard Coastal
Patrol Vessel (CPV) CG 23 -- TTS Pt Lisas
was on patrol in the Gulf when the officers
stopped and search a pirogue with two men
on board. They allegedly found 35 packets
of cocaine in a hidden compartment on the
The pirogue and its two occupants, both
said to be from south Trinidad, were taken
to Staubles Bay and handed over to officers
from the Organised Crime Narcotics and
Firearms Bureau. They are expected to be
charged and taken before a Port-of-Spain
Investigations are continuing into a
fatal vehicular accident in Sangre Grande
on Saturday evening which claimed the
life of a teen.
Marvin Sookdeo, 18, of High School
Road, Mathura, was a passenger in a white
Nissan B12 motor vehicle which was pro-
ceeding north along Foster Road, Sangre
Grande around 3.30 pm. The driver lost
control of the vehicle which slammed into
another car parked along the roadway.
Sookdeo, police said, died on the spot.
The driver of the car was taken to the
Sangre Grande District Hospital where he
was treated. However, he did not suffer
any life threatening injuries.
Officers from the Eastern Division Police
visited the scene and are continuing
o m q om t o y-
Co o - y o t o
t t o "B o B B " t t
t m " tty " B y o oy t m
t o o C o o ty
C ' C , , o t o
o t y. PHOTO: ABRAHAM DIAZ
Links Archive January 31st 2016 February 2nd 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page