Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 3rd 2016 Contents Q o s See your Friday Guardian
for the Answers
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. Most of you already have close friends but have
you ever wondered whether you can be a better
friend? Write a letter to a friend suggesting at
least three (3) ways in which you think you can
be a better friend to him or her. What would you
do to ensure that you are successful ?
2. Imagine... You are at school, standing in the yard
when you observe a few students fighting. You
know that what they are doing is wrong. What
did you do and what eventually happened?
Write a story about the incident that begins
with the following lines:- "I just knew that
something was definitely wrong. Without much
hesitation I sprung into action..."
3. For the present time, you and your friends , most
likely, are busily being prepared for your S.E.A ex-
amination. However, apart from this, what other
things that you do, now make you feel happy?
Write a letter to a close relative describing in
some detail, at least three of the challenges/ dif-
ficulties which you have in preparing for this ex-
amination. Mention as well, some of the things
that you like doing, stating why you enjoy these
experiences so much.
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Write, in the blanks, a suitable form of each
given word, in brackets, to complete the fol-
(S1) Dennis (fling) flung the mangoes to the
ground. (Past Tense)
(S2) The pebble had (sink) sunk to the bottom
of the water. (Past Participle)
1. It had (cost) _____________ him two hundred
dollars to pay the fine.
2. For lunch, Mummy (choose) ____________ the
ripest tomatoes for the salad.
3. Steve (lose) _______________ his money while
playing with his friends.
4. Why haven't you (write) ______________ to
B. Write in the most suitable form of each given
word on the left to complete the following sen-
tences. (Use the hints in the brackets)
During the competition, Denise
misspelt only one word. (Verb)
5. SYMPATHY We were very ______________
towards Maggie when she lost her
6. ASSIST The elderly man needed some
____________ to cross the road.
You should _____________ that
large, glass bowl with care. (Verb)
8. PROMISE The coach assured Carol that she
was a very _____________ athlete.
C. Underline the 'Subject' in each of the following
There, parked in the distance was the stolen car.
9. During the afternoon, Ms. Caroline's class en-
joyed reading under the huge almond tree.
10. All the dogs in the kennel were up for adoption.
11. On leaving school, Davina and her sister hurriedly
12. Out in the pool, the competitors were getting
ready to participate in the long distance race.
D. Tick (_______) one (1) of the given answers to
correctly complete each sentence.
Neither he nor you (seem ; seems) to know the
13. Either the potatoes or the pumpkin (is ; are) in
14. All but one of the children (has ; have) arrived.
15. The coach, with all the players (is ; are) practis-
ing on the field.
16. All that was left on the shelf (was ; were) one
E. Change the following sentences into Indirect
(S1) "You must not forget to put away your
toys," Ms. Carol reminded the children.
(S2) Ms. Carol reminded the children that they
should not forget to put away their toys.
17. The secretary informed the patient, "Your ap-
pointment has been shifted to Tuesday, next
18. "What will we see when we visit the Science
Centre, tomorrow?," Charles enquired from Mr.
19. Savi asked her friend, Sharon, "Why were you
hiding in the corner, this morning?"
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read the sentences well, underline the
error then write only the corrections in the
This is my ribbon but your's is on the table.
(yours) - The possessive pronoun is needed,
20. The tremendous heat had a terrible affect on the
farmers' crops. (___________)
21. She is one of the students who has been chosen
to represent the school. (___________)
22. That restaurant serves not only breakfast but
VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. In the blank spaces provided, write a word to
replace the phrase that is underlined in EACH
sentence without changing the meaning of the
sentence. Remember to spell correctly.
Martha does not pay attention to what I say in
23. Passengers travelling to Chaguanas were asked
to ____________________ the bus at terminal one.
24. The harsh weather added to the beggar's
___________________. (lack of ease)
25. Because I'm the youngest at home, no one pays
any attention to what I say. __________________
B. In the spaces below, write the APPROPRIATE
form of the word in CAPITAL LETTERS to cor-
rectly complete EACH sentence. Remember to
26. COMPETE Our parents organised a calypso
_________________ to raise funds for
our field trip to the zoo.
Continued on the next page
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, February 3, 2016
Links Archive February 2nd 2016 February 4th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page