Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 23rd 2016 Contents A19
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
The US and Russia have
announced that a planned
ceasefire in Syria will come
into effect at midnight on Sat-
Their statement said the
truce did not include so-called
Islamic State (IS) and the al-
Qaeda-linked Nusra Front.
World powers had on Feb-
ruary 12, agreed a truce to
come into effect within a week,
but that deadline passed and
scepticism remains over the
Violence has continued
unabated in Syria, with 140
killed in bombings in Homs
and Damascus on Sunday.
More than 250,000 Syrians
have died in the conflict which
began in March 2011. Some 11
million others have been forced
from their homes, of whom
four million have fled abroad---
including growing numbers
who are making the dangerous
journey to Europe.
Air strikes by Syria, Russia
and the US-led coalition
against these groups would
continue, the statement read.
It said that armed opposition
groups taking part would have
to confirm their participation
by midday on Friday. (BBC)
Syria ceasefire to start at weekend
Thousands of migrants were stranded in
northern Greece yesterday after neighbouring
Macedonia demanded additional identification
from people seeking to cross the border and
head to Western Europe, witnesses said.
European leaders are concerned that migrants
passing through austerity-hit Greece to more
prosperous countries could end up stranded if
Greece s northern neighbours tighten border con-
Greek officials say the flow of people across
the border slowed after Macedonia demanded
additional identification from people seeking pas-
About 5,000 people massed at two locations
in northern Greece, close to the border with Mace-
donia, while aid groups urged another 4,000, who
arrived on the Greek mainland from outlying
islands, not to head to north for fear of creating
Balkan states straddling the migrant route to
western and northern Europe have begun denying
passage to individuals not coming from the conflict
regions of Syria and Iraq.
More than 10 million people in India s
capital, Delhi, are without water after pro-
testers sabotaged a key canal which sup-
plies much of the city.
The army has took control of the Munak
canal after Jat community protesters, angry
at caste job quotas, seized it.
Keshav Chandra, head of Delhi s water
board, told the BBC it would take "three to
four days" before normal supplies resumed
to affected areas.
All Delhi s schools have been closed
because of the water crisis. Sixteen people
have been killed and hundreds hurt in three
days of riots.
Sixteen million people live in Delhi, and
around three-fifths of the city s water is
supplied by the canal.
Chandra said that prior warnings meant
that people had managed to save water, and
tankers had been despatched to affected
areas of the city, but that this would not be
enough to make up for the shortfall.
The army took control of parts of the
canal yesterday morning, but repairs are
expected to take time.
Protesters went on the rampage despite
a curfew and the deployment of the army,
which is reported to have opened fire on
them in the districts of Rohtak and Jhaj-
jar.The Jats are currently listed as upper caste
but the demonstrators have been demanding
inclusion in caste quotas for jobs and edu-
cation opportunities that have been available
to lower castes since 1991.
In March 2014 the Congress-led national
government said it would re-categorise Jats
as Other Backward Castes (OBC), opening
the way to government job quotas.
But India s Supreme Court ruled in 2015
that the Jats were not a backward commu-
As jobs have dried up in the private sector
and farming incomes have declined, the
community has demanded the reinstatement
of their backward caste status to enable
them to secure government jobs. (BBC)
Ten million without
water in Delhi
...as protesters sabotage canal
Police arrested Uganda s main opposition
leader, Kizza Besigye, for the fourth time in eight
days yesterday, after an election that the United
States and European Union have criticised and
the opposition reject as fraudulent.
Police also stormed Besigye s Forum for Dem-
ocratic Change (FDC) party headquarters and arrest-
ed eight people, one member said, two days after
President Yoweri Museveni, 71 and in power for
30 years, was declared the winner of the February
The EU observer mission said the vote had been
conducted in an "intimidating" atmosphere and
United States has voiced concerns about the fre-
quent arrests of Besigye.
Police said they detained Besigye as he was
preparing to lead supporters to the Electoral Com-
mission headquarters in the capital Kampala to
collect the official results, and that he had not
obtained government consent.
But Ingrid Turinawe, a senior FDC official, said
Besigye was attempting to gather evidence as part
of his challenging of the election result.
A second FDC official said that police had raided
party headquarters, confiscating documents and
arresting eight people.
Museveni has presided over strong economic
growth but is accused at home and abroad of
repression of dissent and failing to tackle rampant
Critics say he wants to rule for life, emulating
other African leaders who refuse to give up power.
Thousands trapped in
Greece as neighbours
leader arrested for
the fourth time
A damaged section of the Munak canal, near the village of Bindroli is guarded by Indian military, yesterday. Fears of a water crisis in the
Indian capital eased yesterday with security forces securing a canal in Haryana, which provides 60 per cent of its water needs. AP PHOTO
Links Archive February 22nd 2016 February 24th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page