Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 24th 2016 Contents COMPOSITION
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. Suppose: Both of your parents/guardians are ill
and have had to stay at home on a particular day.
They have asked you to remain at home, as well,
to assist them. What would you do to help them
and also to make them comfortable and happy?
Write an account that begins with the following
line: "I know that this is a tremendous responsi-
bility but I am determined to do my best for my
2. Many persons love to eat junk or fast foods and
also fatty snacks. Do you think that this is
healthy? Suppose there was a tax on those type
of foods which might prevent people from eating
too much of them? Write a letter to an editor of
one of the daily newspapers agreeing or dis-
agreeing that there should be a tax on all fast
foods and fatty snacks.
3. Many of us sometimes think back to the past
about an experience that we can never forget,
one that made us tremendously happy. Do you
have memories of such an experience? Write a
story that begins with the following lines: "Re-
membering the past can be most pleasant. I
treasure the most, my memories about (name
the experience, briefly)..."
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Name the part of speech, in the brackets, of
each of the following underlined words.
Only you have been willing to help me. (Adverb)
1. That wasn't a nice thing to do. (___________)
2. Which boy won the race, yesterday?
3. Haven't we seen his movie, before?
4. Jerry just could not hide his disappointment.
B. Change the following sentences into the Active
(S1) The cat was chased by the vicious dog
around the house.
(S2) The vicious dog chased the cat around the
5. The visitors will be taken on an interesting trip
by the tour guide, tomorrow.
6. The broken wall is being repaired by the work-
7. The players were advised by the coach that
there would be football practice every afternoon.
8. Our favourite aunt will be met by my parents
and me at the airport.
C. Choose one (1) of the given words to match
each underlined word in the following sen-
The hungry dog had a voracious appetite.
9. The scores were levelled only during the final,
few seconds of the _____________ match. (bor-
10. The _______________ workers were able to
complete the job in a very short time. (industri-
11. Being quite confident in herself, Charlene was a
most ______________ student. (reluctant; will-
12. Charlie's ____________ dog, Max, like to romp,
every day with him. (playful; moody)
D. Write in each blank space, the most suitable
form of the word on the left to complete each
Jeffrey plays cricket the best
among his brothers.
Sandra jumped _______________
than the other athletes to win the
The fireworks, this year, definitely
sounded ________________ than in
15. sweet Our choir sings _________________
once Ms. Vincent is around.
16. cautious The policeman advised the man that
he needed, in the future, to drive
E. Put each of the following sets of words in its
correct order to complete each sentence.
(S1) cell fined man driving The was using phone
for while his.
(S2) The man was fined for using his cell phone
17. as They dismissed school home was as for soon
18. always practice fruits healthy is Eating and veg-
19. certainly sun hours in many Playing hot tiring the
most was for
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read the sentences well, underline the
error then rewrite only the correction within
the brackets provided.
There are less plums in this bag than I expected.
(fewer) - used when it refers to countable
20. The boys decided suddenly to return home.
21. Every one of the puppies are cute. (___________)
22. Being a beautiful day, my parents decided to
take us to the beach. (___________)
VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. In the spaces below, write the appropriate
form of the word in CAPITAL LETTERS to cor-
rectly complete EACH sentence. Remember to
Success is never final nor failure
Now do these:
Continued on the next page
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Links Archive February 23rd 2016 February 25th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page