Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 2nd 2016 Contents Q o s See your Friday Guardian
for the Answers
Do any ONE (1) of the following compositions:-
1. Each year, children go on vacation at Easter, the
July/ August period and finally, at Christmas
time. Which holiday period do you prefer and
why do you like it more that the others? Write a
story about this that begins with the following
line: "Holidays are always special but I prefer
(you can name the holiday period) more than
any other time..."
2. Think about this carefully. Is there anything that
you own that you will never give away? What is
it and why would you like to keep this thing for-
ever? Write a story that begins with the fol-
lowing line: "Sometimes, I do not mind sharing
things that belong to me but I would never get
rid of (you can name it)..."
3. As we prepared to welcome the New Year 2016,
some people chose to do this by setting off noisy
fireworks on Old Year's night. Many persons
enjoy this experience tremendously. Others feel
that this can be a danger to elderly persons and
also to pets that often run away from their own-
ers' homes and become lost. Write a letter to
the editor of any one of our newspapers, either
agreeing that there should be a total ban on the
use of fireworks or agreeing that persons should
be permitted to set off fireworks. Give sufficient
reasons to support your argument.
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Use one (1) of the given words to complete
each of the following sentences.
The children rushed frantically to catch the last
bus. (cautiously ; frantically)
1. The excited puppies played __________________
in the park. (gleefully ; roughly)
2. Most good cooks __________________ prepare
their favourite dishes. (hurriedly ; lovingly)
3. Being an humble person, our teacher, Ms. Lisa
__________________ accepted the award. (gra-
ciously ; timidly)
4. The children __________________ ate their cups
of soft, melting ice cream. (excitedly ; hurriedly)
B. Change each word in capitals to a descriptive
word to complete each sentence correctly.
CONNECT The passengers had to take a
connecting flight to complete their
5. BREAK Please handle the package carefully
for it is ______________.
6. FORGET You have to remind him about those
incidents because he is so
7. EXTEND Our neighbour will undertake
_______________ renovations of his
8. FLOWER Mummy received the gift of a
beautiful ________________ plant
from her friend.
C. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read each sentence well, underline the
error then write only the correction in the
Every one of the girls received their gifts after
lunch was served. (her) - used with the singular
pronoun phrase "every one"
9. The patient was instructed to take the doctor's
10. All but one of the mangoes was ripe.
11. Mr. Davis used up almost all his gas while driving
from Port of Spain to Cedros.
D. Use a suitable word to join each of the follow-
ing sets of sentences.
(S1) We saw that girl yesterday. Is that girl your
(S2) Is that girl whom we saw yesterday, your
12. Darius loved the gift. It was the gift that his sis-
ter Marianne gave him.
13 . That person is our best teacher. Marcelle re-
ceived the award from her.
14. Our grandparents live in Rio Claro. We will visit
them for the new year.
15. Last week, Susan saw her close friend, Maria. .
Maria's sister is a nurse.
E. Write, in the brackets, the shortened form of
each underlined phrase to complete he follow-
Will she not (Won't she) be able to come with
us to the beach?
16. We have (____________) to make an important
decision about that.
17. If you can arrive early, you would (____________)
be able to accompany us to the show.
18. Should you not (________________) check with
her before you leave?
F. Draw a line from each part in A to another in B
to expand the following sentences. (Use the
underlined words as a hint)
VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. In the spaces below, write the APPROPRIATE
form of the word in CAPITAL LETTERS to cor-
rectly complete EACH sentence. Remember to
FAIL Success is never final nor failure
23. ACCESS Our Park is not _________________
from the main road.
24. RENEW Oil and gas are two natural re
sources that are non- ______________.
B. In each of the following sentences there is a
word that is underlined. For EACH underlined
word write EITHER another word OR a phrase
that is similar in meaning.
Continued on the next page
Drinking too many
the driver skidded
19. I will explain it further
which is located in La
20. If you cannot swim
is not very good for
21. As he drove along the
if it still seems diffi-
22. Next week, our class
will visit the Pitch
avoid bathing in the
deep part of the sea.
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, March 2, 2016
Links Archive March 1st 2016 March 3rd 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page