Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 24th 2016 Contents A4
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, May 24, 2016
JENSEN LA VENDE
Will a man rob God? Some believe that the non-payment
of tithes is the equivalent of this but for one man being
sought by the police, robbing a church of $20,000 comes in
According to police reports, one month after the death of Fr
Reginald Hezekiah, parish priest at the St Charles RC Church,
Eastern Main Road, Tunapuna, thieves decided to pounce on
the church, robbing it at least twice and making off with $20,000
on the last occasion.
Police said PC Seeteram of the Tunapuna Police Station is
investigating the most recent break-in. Police said they have
a suspect in mind who is not from the area who they believe
is responsible for the last break-in which took place between
Friday night and Saturday morning.
In a telephone interview yesterday, Archbishop Joseph Harris
said he had not been informed of the latest break-in but was
aware that since Hezekiah's death the church had been broken
into at least once. Asked what message he would send to those
responsible for the break-ins, Harris laughed, saying the bandits
were not listening otherwise they would not be bandits to begin
with. "What do you tell the bandits? God will heap hot coals
on your head? Why are they bandits to begin with. We have
to do something because we are an easy target," Harris added
before hurrying to a meeting.
Hezekiah, 82, who died while on vacation in the US last
month, was parish priest for the past 15 years. The break-in
was told to the parishioners on Sunday evening during Mass
by Fr Clyde Harvey, who has been holding on since Hezekiah's
death. One parishioner told the T&T Guardian the incident had
left them disturbed. "This is not the first time this church has
had an issue with criminals. Some years ago (December 2009)
Fr Hezekiah had to wrest a cutlass from a man who stormed
in to demand money. We just hope the situation will be resolved
speedily. They robbing God's house you know," the parishioner
A New Grant father charged with sexually assaulting his
teenage son was yesterday granted $200,000 bail.
The 50-year-old unemployed man who was also granted cash
bail of $75,000 was ordered to stay away from his son.
The man is accused of committing grievous sexual assault on
his 17-year-old son last week. He appeared before Princes Town
magistrate Rajendra Rambachan who granted bail on the condition
he moves out of his home and resides at his sister's address.
He also has to stay two miles away from his son's home and
have no contact with him.
The father also has to report to the Rio Claro Police Station
on Saturdays. He was represented by attorney Petronella Basdeo.
In the same court, bail was denied to Kayam Mohammed, 20,
on charges of kidnapping, raping and buggering a 62-year-old
woman who is a stroke victim. The incident allegedly happened
on February 12.
Mohammed was remanded last week for tracing. When he
reappeared yesterday court prosecutor Sgt Roger Richardson said
the accused had a pending matter for larceny.
Basdeo argued since bail was to secure a person's attendance
in court, the court should examine his attendance in his other
matter in determining whether to grant bail. The magistrate
refused bail on the basis that while on bail he allegedly committed
another offence. The matter was adjourned to June 17.
$200,000 bail for
man charged with
sexual assault on son
It was just another day for Lisa Ramjattan, 26, and
her common-law husband, Kristian Aziz, as they went
to a daycare centre in Barrackpore to pick up their two-
month-old baby, Kristiano, yesterday evening.
Thinking her baby was sleeping peacefully in a playpen,
Ramjattan rushed to get her phone and took a photo of
him because he looked cute and the playpen was very
colourful and attractive.
However, when Ramjattan attempted to pick up her
baby she recoiled in horror as she realised his tiny body
was cold and stiff.
An ambulance was called in but baby Kristiano was sub-
sequently pronounced dead at the Princes Town District
Health Centre. An autopsy is expected to be performed at
the Forensic Science Centre, St James, today to determine
the cause of death.
Ramjattan, who spoke with the T&T Guardian last
evening, said she was in such shock at the time of discovery
that all she could do was run outside to call Kristian, who
was sitting in their parked vehicle waiting for her and the
"I ran out screaming something wrong with the baby,"
Ramjattan said, who is also the mother of a five-year-old
Ramjattan, of St Croix Road, Princes Town, said her mother,
who would usually take the baby to the daycare at GP Road
daily, told her Kristiano seemed normal and healthy as usual
when she dropped him off yesterday.
"We went at about 3 pm and I really saw my baby sleeping
on his stomach. The woman at the daycare told me that he
was sleeping long time. She told me he had liked the playpen
so I said I will take a photo of it and him sleeping in it so that
I could buy one for him," Ramjattan recalled.
"I didn't know all along that maybe he was dead already. It's
only when I picked him up I realised something was wrong."
She added that she noticed milk stains around the baby's
mouth and face.
"I really need to know what happened to my baby," the
Asked if the owner of the daycare centre had reached out
to her family, Ramjattan replied, "She kept saying she was sorry
but nothing else. Up to now (after 7.30 pm yesterday) the
woman did not contact me or my mother to say anything or
to find out how we are coping, nothing."
Ramjattan said she lodged an official report at the Barrackpore
She also said she had contacted CNC3's Crime Watch host
Ian Alleyne in the hope of getting some kind of justice. Alleyne
highlighted Kristiano's death on yesterday evening's show.
Up to late yesterday investigating officers were interviewing
the owner of the daycare.
Mom seeks answers
as baby boy found
dead at daycare
Baby Kristiano Aziz, who was found dead at his
Links Archive May 23rd 2016 May 25th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page