Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 31st 2016 Contents A6
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, May 31, 2016
Attorney Nafeesa Mohammed is
calling for a more active relationship
between T&T and the Saudi Arabia to
facilitate local Muslims seeking visas
for the annual Hajj pilgrimage to
Mohammed is the spokesperson for
the families of five men, Wade Charles,
Dominic Pitilal, Asim Luqman, Andre
Battersby and Leslie Daisley, who were
arrested on suspicion of terrorism and
have been incarcerated in Venezuela
since 2014. During last week s visit by
Venezuelan President Nicholas Maduro,
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley con-
firmed that they had agreed "to repa-
triate our citizens who are currently in
detention on both sides."
Mohammed said she has not heard
anything from the Government since
that meeting but believes there will be
follow up discussions this week.
"Part of the problem with the Hajj
visa is that there is a need to regularise
the relationship with the Saudi govern-
ment at a diplomatic level. Recommen-
dations were made to all stakeholders
involved and I am hoping and praying
that the Government will be able to
engage in a more meaningful dialogue
and anything can be done to expedite
"Our arrangement with the Saudis
need to be revisited and they need for
a more decisive interaction with them
and our Government," she said.
Mohammed said since 2014 there
were attempts to regularise diplomatic
relations with the Saudi government
She said another month of Ramadan
has begun and the families of the five
men continue to endure the hardship
of their absence.
Referring to Tariq Mohammed, who
has been in a Saudi Arabian prison since
last year, Mohammed said that he was
not a threat.
Mohammed said: "He was taking his
last year at the University of Medina in
Saudi Arabia when he was detained for
questioning. "The Ministry of National
Security did a clearance letter and they
did all the checks and he (Tariq) was
not involved with illegal activities. This
was cleared here. We are requesting a
meeting to see what is going on and
what is happening."
Fire damages Southern Food Basket
An early morning fire has led to
the temporary closure of a popular
San Fernando supermarket.
At around 4.44 am yesterday, a
security officer on duty at Southern
Food Basket on Coffee Street saw
smoke coming from inside the building.
He alerted officers of the Mon Repos
Fire Station, who responded immedi-
ately. The fire officers were able to
contain the fire within one hour.
Rasheed Mohammed, one of the
owners of the supermarket, told the
T&T Guardian: "It was a small elec-
trical fire and the fire services were
able to bring it under control very
quickly. "We had to break the windows
on the second floor to let the smoke
Mohammed said employees who
turned out to work yesterday stayed
to assist in the clean up effort.
"We have some staff and contractors
here right now trying to clean, as we
are hoping to reopen tomorrow or by
Wednesday for the latest," he said.
Mohammed said he did not have an
estimate of losses but assured that
none of the 20-plus staff members
will be out of jobs. The supermarket
has been operating on Coffee Street
for more than 20 years.
An early morning fire caused some damage to Southern Food Basket, San
Fernando, yesterday. PHOTO: TONY HOWELL
Bomb hoax suspect stays in custody
The police and the prison
services remained on high
alert yesterday following the
arrest of a 46-year old Arima
man in connection with a
bomb threat at Trincity Mall
Investigators are reportedly
seeking instructions from the
Office of the Director of Public
Prosecutions on the laying of
charges against the suspect.
Lawmen are refusing to com-
ment on the case and have
expressed concern that sensitive
material was disclosed to the
media on the matter.
The bomb threat followed
audio notes which were widely
circulated last week on social
media warning of ISIS attacks
on local malls between last
week Thursday and Sunday.
Commissioner of Prisons
Sterling Stewart has confirmed
that the nation s prisons have
been on high alert since then.
Hoaxes involving explosives
or lethal devices constitute
offences under the Anti-Ter-
The Anti-Terrorism Act,
Chap 12:07 states: "A person
commits an offence if he com-
municates any information
which he knows or believes to
be false with the intention of
inducing in a person anywhere
in the world a belief that a nox-
ious substance or other noxious
thing or a lethal device or a
weapon of mass destruction is
likely to be present, whether at
the time the information is
communicated or later, in any
(3) A person who commits
an offence under this section
is liable on conviction on
indictment to imprisonment
for 15 years."
Links Archive May 30th 2016 June 1st 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page