Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 19th 2016 Contents A31
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
A five-year-old boy is recovering in a
Denver hospital after being attacked by a
mountain lion, officials said.
The attack happened Friday night in
A man called 911 dispatchers to report
that his son had been attacked by a
mountain lion and he was driving to the
Aspen Valley Hospital, police said in a
The boy's mother told police that the
boy was playing outside with his older
brother when she heard screams. The
mother ran out and "physically removed
her son from the mountain lion,"
according to the statement.
After initial treatment in Aspen, the boy
was transferred to Children's Hospital in
Denver. He's in fair condition with injuries
to his face, head and neck. His mother
was treated and released for minor
injuries to her hand and legs.
The family has not been identified.
A bus driver has been arrested over
claims he verbally abused a young gay
couple and barred them from his bus.
The incident is alleged to have taken
place on board a McGill's bus in Glasgow,
The driver is reported to have sworn
and told the two male passengers that
"people like you" should not be on the
Police Scotland confirmed a 46-year-old
man was arrested under a law that deals
with homophobic offences.
A spokeswoman said: "We can confirm
that on the 17th June a 46-year-old man
was arrested in connection with an
alleged offence under section 38 of the
Criminal Justice and Licensing Act 2010
which is alleged to have occurred in Peat
Road, in Pollok, on June 10."
The couple claimed the driver told them
they were banned from using McGill's
buses in future and that he refused to let
them on his bus a few days later. (BBC)
Mom saves son, 5, from lion attack
UK bus driver arrested over gay ban claim
An Egyptian court has handed down its final
ruling in the trial of 11 people, including toppled
president Mohamed Morsi and Al Jazeera
journalists, accused of leaking state secrets to
The court yesterday confirmed a ruling from May
7, when six of the defendants were sentenced to
After that initial verdict, the Cairo court had to
seek the advice of Egypt's Grand Mufti Shawqi
Allam, the highest religious leader in the country, to
be able to finalise the verdicts.
Egyptian law requires the mufti to sign off on
death sentences. His opinion is not binding but
usually respected by courts.
Morsi, the case's top defendant, and two of his
aides were sentenced to 25 years in prison for
espionage---in Egypt, a life sentence is equivalent to
at least 25 years. Morsi is already facing the death
penalty on other charges.
Morsi and his secretary, Amin el-Sirafy, each
received an additional 15-year sentence for a lesser
crime. El-Sirafy's daughter, Karima, was also
sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Those sentenced to death include Ibrahim Helal,
former director of news at Al Jazeera's Arabic
channel. He is not in Egypt and was tried in
Helal was accused of passing state secrets to
Qatar in what human rights groups have dismissed
as a politicised case and a sham trial. (Al Jazeera)
Morsi, 2 Al Jazeera
journalists to death
The man charged with the murder of Labour MP
Jo Cox has appeared in court and been remanded in
custody. Thomas Mair gave his name as "Death to
traitors, freedom for Britain", when he appeared at
Westminster Magistrates' Court.
Cox, 41, was shot and stabbed in Birstall, West
Yorkshire, last Thursday.
Members of her family visited the scene
yesterday to read floral tributes and thank
gathered crowds for their support.
Speaking in the village's market square Kim
Leadbeater, Cox's sister, described the MP as
Leadbeater said the tributes paid to her sister
had "genuinely made a difference" and helped the
family through some "dark times".
"I could not watch the overwhelming outpouring
of love without speaking on behalf of Jo," she said.
"Jo would want us to focus on that which unites
us not which divides us. She will live on through
good people in the world."
Cox, who was married with two children, was
about to attend a constituency surgery when she
Mair, 52, also faces charges of GBH, possession
of a firearm with intent to commit an indictable
offence and possession of an offensive weapon, in
relation to the attack on Cox. He is due to appear at
the Old Bailey tomorrow. (BBC)
MP Cox murder suspect
appears in court
Police in Belgium have made 12
arrests in a huge anti-terrorism
operation, nearly three months after the
deadly bomb attacks on Brussels.
Those detained overnight are
suspected of plotting a terrorist attack,
prosecutors say. They were among 40
taken in for questioning.
Searches were conducted in 16
municipalities, mainly around Brussels,
with checks on 152 lock-up garages.
PM Charles Michel said security
would be stepped up at public events.
He tweeted (in French) after a
meeting of the Belgian security council
to say events would go ahead as
planned and he urged the public to
According to a report by public
broadcaster, terrorism suspects were
seen driving last Friday near a fan zone
in central Brussels, where yesterday's
Euro 2016 match between Belgium and
the Republic of Ireland is due to be
relayed from France by giant screen.
On March 22, bombs killed 32 people
at a Brussels airport and a metro
Protection for ministers
No arms or explosives were found
during the searches, which passed off
without incident, Belgium's federal
prosecutor said in a statement.
Among the areas where searches
took place was Molenbeek, a Brussels
district which has become notorious
because of its associations with
The federal prosecutor said the
operation had been launched after
investigations which "necessitated an
The country is under a level 3 terror
alert, one below maximum.
"It is not over," Interior Minister Jan
Jambon said yesterday.
"We remain under terror alert three. It
means that something is still up. Last
night, we had a very successful action."
There were several warnings of
further attacks in recent days.
Last Friday four federal ministers
including Mr Michel were placed under
heightened police protection along with
their families, Belgian media reported.
Belgian police are said to have
recently received a warning that a group
of militants from the so-called Islamic
State (IS) group had left Syria en route
for Europe, planning new attacks in
Belgium and France. (BBC)
Just under 50 days before the
Olympics, Rio de Janeiro s state governor
has issued an executive order declaring
a state of emergency that authorises
additional funding to fulfil obligations
during the games.
A severe economic crisis has prevented the
state from "honouring its commitments to
the organisation of the Olympic and Para-
lympic Games," reads the order, released last
The crisis has been "causing severe diffi-
culties in the provision of essential public
services and can even cause a total breakdown
in public security, health, education, mobility
and environmental management," the order
Though the order is meant to open the
door for more funding for the Olympics,
scheduled to run August 5-21, it did not spec-
ify where the additional money would come
from or how much would be needed.
The city of Rio de Janeiro---not the state
---is largely responsible for the Olympics. But
the state is responsible for certain expendi-
tures, including a yet-to-be-completed exten-
sion of a Metro line that is meant to connect
the largest of four Olympic venue clusters
with the rest of the host city.
The state s declaration will have no negative
impact on the games, Rio 2016 organising
committee spokesman Mario Andrada said,
according to the state-run news outlet Agencia
"The games, they are guaranteed and will
happen," Andrada said.
Worst recession since the 1930s
For months, Brazil has been struggling with
its worst recession since the 1930s. The coun-
try s economy, the largest in Latin America,
shrank 5.4 per cent in the first quarter of this
year, according to government figures. The
oil-rich state of Rio de Janeiro has been espe-
cially hit by falling commodity prices.
Acting Gov Francisco Dornelles said Friday
that money allocated through the state of
emergency would go to security, mobility and
The governor said that the low price of oil
played a role.
"I want all the people of Rio de Janeiro to
understand that the state is experiencing a
major financial crisis," Dornelles said, accord-
ing to reports.
Andrada, the Rio 2016 spokesman, said
the declaration might help the state receive
federal funds. (CNN)
Rio seeks emergency
funding ahead of Olympics
The procession with the casket of Christopher Andrew Leinonen, one of the victims of the
Pulse nightclub mass shooting, enters the Cathedral Church of St Luke for his funeral service
yesterday, in Orlando, Florida. AP PHOTO
Links Archive June 18th 2016 June 20th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page