Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 7th 2016 Contents A4
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Thursday, July 7, 2016
STORIES BY CAMILLE CLARKE
Relatives are still hoping for the safe return of
missing prison officer Rishi Sankar, saying they
believe the police were sent on a wild goose
chase looking for his body.
Two brothers caught by the police allegedly
claimed they had mixed cement, threw it over
his body and dumped it in the Mitan River,
Mayaro, before they went on a joyride all over
central Trinidad with a female companion.
Despite suggestions that Sankar was killed,
the family continues to hope and pray he will
Sankar, 34, of Perseverance Village, Couva,
was reported missing by relatives since June 22
and was last seen alive at Stone Road, Piparo.
He was assigned to the security section at the
Remand Yard at Golden Grove in Arouca.
The two brothers held in connection with
his disappearance remained in police custody
The suspects allegedly confessed to "beating
and shooting" the prison officer and dumping
his body in the river.
Police believe robbery
was the motive, as one
of the suspects was
caught driving Sankar's
car in Chaguanas.
Divers and police have
been searching the Mitan
River for missing prison
officer's body for days but
have been unsuccessful.
However, there are con-
flicting stories, with one say-
ing the body may have been
dumped in Toco as well. There are also reports of
fresh cement and blood discovered at his house.
In a brief interview yesterday, Sankar's sister, Indra,
said some of the information reported by the media
was wrong and her brother is still officially missing.
"He went missing by his house. It is wrong that
they were saying he was in a relationship and that
is what caused it and that is incorrect. I don't under-
stand where they got that," she said.
Indra said neighbours claimed they heard screams
of distress coming from Sankar's house and they
found blood in front his house where his vehicle was
She said on Tuesday relatives visited the Homicide
office in San Fernando where tests on the blood dis-
covered at his house were done.
"I want him to come home and we need to get
closure or what they did with him. But they not
getting anything, so we don't know if they
(suspects) have them on a wild goose chase,"
Indra said it was unfair, because Sankar was
a staunch Muslim and had been fasting at the
time of his disappearance.
"He was so much into his religion. What
was the purpose of it (abduction)? It must
have been planned and we don't know if he (suspect)
is covering up or who is involved in it," she said.
Indra said Sankar was single and was more focused
on his achievements and wasn't ready for marriage.
"It happen so long and they won't keep him (the
suspects). I am praying and hoping they find him.
The family is so tormented and we don't know what
took place," she said.
Sankar's colleagues yesterday maintained he was
a decent man and it could not have been a "prison
In the past few years, several prison officers were
the targets of the underworld during their line of duty.
If anyone know Sankar's whereabouts contact the
nearest police station or 555, 281-3234 or 767-3636.
Despite Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley s
announcement that the protective services
would be receiving 50 per cent of their back
pay by the end of June, Defence Force
members claim they have not received
Up to yesterday, Defence Force members
complained that they had not been given
their back pay or an increase in salary despite
a close in salary negotiations months ago.
However, the T&T Guardian was provided
with an internal memo by Defence Force
members which indicated that they could
expect their back pay as late as December
The memo, which was circulated to
senior members, said in January 2016
Cabinet agreed to the revised rates of pay
and allowances for the period of January
1, 2011 to December 31, 2013, for Defence
Force members. It added, however, that
the process of updating the system with
the new rates of pay and allowances is
expected to be completed by August and
the entire process is expected to be com-
pleted by the end of December 2016.
The memo said the agencies charged
with the responsibility to complete the
process and implement the new rates had
received the support of the staff. However,
the memo also indicated that Defence Force
members should refrain from making any
statements on social media about the pay
increase or back pay, noting they would be
held accountable and face disciplinary action
if caught doing so.
In a brief interview, however, one Regiment
members expressed frustration.
"I want to know if you can tell a bank or
other institutions to have patience for their
money?" he asked.
"Prisons (Service) and everyone get their back
pay and we ain't get nothing, we just sucking
salt. We are silent sufferers, we can't protest
and we can't strike and we have no union to
stand up for us and the seniors only take care
He said the morale of the members was now
"We have not received the new rates which
were supposed to be implemented along the
same time with the other protective services.
The standard of the food given to us is poor,
we are overworked with no fixed shift."
Contacted on the issue, Public Relations Offi-
cer at the Coast Guard (TTCG), Lt Commander
Kirk Jean-Baptiste, said his colleagues
should have a little patience while wait-
ing for their increase in salary and back
pay.Jean-Baptiste said the process is slow
and their HR department at the Ministry
of National Security had been meeting
and organising the process. He could not give
a date as to when the officers will be in recipient
of their wage increase.
"Auditing takes time and the process takes
time, the increase will come followed by the
back pay and they need to be patient and under-
stand," he said.
Attempts to contact National Security Minister
Edmund Dillon were unsuccessful as he did not
answer his cellphone.
hope for closure
salary, back pay
Links Archive July 6th 2016 July 8th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page